Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Fuji Velvia/ Slide Film

Jamie_CM 12 3
31 Mar 2002 2:35PM
Hiya folks,

I have just shot my first reel of slde film, I used Fuji Velvia ISO 50, I am really looking forward to seeing the results, but when I put them in to be processe I was asked if I wanted them mounted, I didnt know what this meant so said no, have I made a misake, and can someone please explain what the results of mounted and non mouted are.

The reason I have started using slide is for it aclaimed highe detail and saturation etc, but I dont have any sort of prjection equipment so am hoping to get the slides I like blown up on prints, will I be able to do this?

Many thanks, sorry to ask what must seem like a stupid question,
Regards,
Jamie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dfstudio 12 8
31 Mar 2002 7:18PM
Hi Jamie,

Basically the monted slide is put in to plasic holders so that they can be put into a slide projector. The non mounted slide with proberly come in a strip of 6 as you would get negs.

To mount slides on your own will take quite a long time and can be tricky.. But if you don't want to use them "as slides" and just get print then unmounted should be fine.. You did ask them to be printed as well did'nt you?

Thanks,

Chris Bloy
www.dfstudio.co.uk Photographic Messageboard
Stephen 12 33
31 Mar 2002 9:19PM
Fiji Velvia film is not process paid when you buy it. Consequently any lab that is asked to process it will need to know whether you want it mounting or not. My local lab charges something like 14p per slide for mounting.

This of course is the only way of viewing them in a projector. However if they are for reproducing elsewhere it is best to leave them unmounted usually.
Jamie_CM 12 3
31 Mar 2002 10:41PM
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to ask for prints as well, I was going to send off the ones I wanted prints from at a later date, is this not advised?

I am hopefully going to be able to get a Braun Novamat M330 projector/viewer soon, so do you advise getting all subsequent slides mounted? ALso does anyone have any experience with the Novamat M330?

Thanks again!
Jamie
rh_hill 12 27 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2002 8:13PM
Im not exactly an expert, but heres my experiences from just going through almost exactly the same:

I went for mounting on my first Velvia roll, but then got the slides back un-numbered and promptly messed the order up. On that roll I experimented with bracketing and various filters, so got totally confused. This time round I have not got them mounted and have bought a light-box to see the differences. The light box and power adapter was about 35. I bought a load of mounts from Jessops on a 2 for 3 offer.

This might seem like a more fiddly and expensive way, but I get to see the slides next to each other and in order and then mount them (with numbers written on the mounts!). I reckon the expense of buying the mounts (2.50 for 40 without the offer) is balanced to a degree by saving on processing costs.

As for the projector, I have the Braun 350 model, the same as the 330 apart from IR remote. The image is fine, but dont expect too much from the built in viewing screen. Its dead handy, but only okay for quality, you really need a flat white wall or proper screen.

Finally, printing slides after processing is expensive, but Peak Imaging of Sheffield now offer a print & process package for slide film at more reasonable costs. I cant vouch for the quality, but I used their print and process for negative print film and was impressed.

Hope that helps,
Richard

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.