Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Fuji X10

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 11:13 PM

I think it is all a point of perspective Paul. I found the basic point and shoot too limiting, where the S95 brings the controls I want to use. Its a compromise, good enough IQ to be perfectly serviceable, in a take anywhere anytime package. I did try the EPL1 but I found they had the same handling and user problems (compared to SLR) of the S95 and they did not have that carry in the jeans take anywhere quality. With lenses they were bulky. Plus even with the collapsing the lenses were too slow so the IQ at the same shutter speed was pretty well about the same as the m4/3 had to run higher ISO.

Its horses for courses, but at 260 the S95 I bought hit the price/size balance. Make it bigger and I might as well take the SLR. The new X10 looks interesting and if it were around then I would have looked at it. Also Olympus have and interesting compact with a fast lens. At the time of purchase I ended up looking at S95 or LX5, and I only bought the canon because it turned up on special offer.

Ironically I view m4/3 as an interesting alternative to an SLR. On of the Panasonic G series perhaps for me??

But on the X10, I like the sound of it, and if I were in the market for a new camera I would be tempted to give it a go. I can see for a photographer like you its a great choice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Nov 2011 - 11:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 11:27 PM

Quote: Ironically I view m4/3 as an interesting alternative to an SLR. On of the Panasonic G series perhaps for me??

I have a G2, but prefer pens with there inbody IS, wireless flash support and more compact lenses Smile

The X10 is no compact, and is about 100 dearer than the S100, but the extras like all metal construction, filter thread and optical viewfinder make the extra cost worth it.

what ever you get there will be a compromise somewhere.

User_Removed
26 Nov 2011 - 12:15 AM

Quote: CB if I just wanted a basic pocketable point and shoot I would not waste my money on an S95/S100, there far too expensive.

There's nothing basic about them. I can't think of a take every day jeans pocket camera that comes close to those Canons. Those Fuji bricks don't even have better picture quality.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2011 - 12:54 AM

Quote: CB if I just wanted a basic pocketable point and shoot I would not waste my money on an S95/S100, there far too expensive.

But what if I want something which is pocketable and has the same image quality and functionality, as the Fuji X10?

What should I buy? Smile

User_Removed
26 Nov 2011 - 1:59 AM

Quote: The X10 is no compact, and is about 100 dearer than the S100, but the extras like all metal construction, filter thread and optical viewfinder make the extra cost worth it.

LOL @ the optical viewfinder, I'd pay extra for one of those, or maybe just stick a ten pence bit of glass on the top and draw a square on it

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2011 - 2:13 AM

Quote: maybe just stick a ten pence bit of glass on the top and draw a square on it

Given that the OVF on the X10 gives only an 80% view - and no info whatsoever - one might as well do this! Lol! biggrin-dark.jpg

NikLG
NikLG  81736 forum posts England
26 Nov 2011 - 8:11 AM

Could you two go and start a Canon compact lovers group maybe ?
I dont understand your desire to wade into a thread on the x10 merely to post praise
for a different camera and pick fault with the one thats being discussed.
i think you have made your point that you dont like it. Now its starting to sound like sour grapes
or dislike just for the sake of it.

Last Modified By NikLG at 26 Nov 2011 - 8:12 AM
Carabosse
26 Nov 2011 - 10:01 AM

Quote: Now its starting to sound like sour grapes
or dislike just for the sake of it.

Not at all. I own neither an X10 nor an S95/S100. Discussing the pluses and minuses of these competing cameras is very interesting... rather than it just being an X10 fanboy thread.

And it's not just two of us... e.g. see Strawman's post above.

NikLG
NikLG  81736 forum posts England
26 Nov 2011 - 10:10 AM

Quote: Not at all. I own neither an X10 nor an S95/S100.

Ah. So it's not sour grapes then. But how can you compare the cameras if you have no experience of using either ? Not sure what that would be called.......

User_Removed
26 Nov 2011 - 12:12 PM

Quote: I dont understand your desire to wade into a thread on the x10 merely to post praise for a different camera and pick fault with the one thats being discussed.

I'll explain how that works and maybe you can get to understand it.

Yesterday ePz published an article pitching the two cameras head-to-head, comparing the relative merits and downsides of each.

The author of the article then posted a link to that article in this very thread. Lo and behold people started to discuss the article and the relative merits and downsides of each (in this thread). Do you see?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2011 - 2:21 PM

Quote: Yesterday ePz published an article pitching the two cameras head-to-head, comparing the relative merits and downsides of each

Yes comparing apples to oranges, each will have pluses and minuses.

Quote: The author of the article then posted a link to that article in this very thread. Lo and behold people started to discuss the article and the relative merits and downsides of each (in this thread). Do you see?

Yes we see, EPZ gave an idiot some ammunition Smile

User_Removed
26 Nov 2011 - 2:49 PM

I wouldn't call you an idiot Paul, I do think it is like comparing apples to oranges though. I think the much bigger and much more expensive Fuji should be compared against other big expensive cameras. Ones with those fancy optical viewfinders. Maybe those old Polaroids? Grin

strawman
strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2011 - 3:41 PM

To be fair I own an S95 but think the Fuji an interesting offer. Its not going to be for everyone but if you at what Paul does I think I can see why he is excited. That does not make the X10 perfect for everyone or the S95 either. Lets face it the X10 looks good. I think they appeal to quite different people.

Paul Morgan
26 Nov 2011 - 5:47 PM

Quote: I wouldn't call you an idiot Paul, I do think it is like comparing apples to oranges though. I think the much bigger and much more expensive Fuji should be compared against other big expensive cameras. Ones with those fancy optical viewfinders. Maybe those old Polaroids?

Or what I put up on page 7, since this more closely resembles a zone focusing camera than a rangfinder Smile

Quote: Its not going to be for everyone but if you at what Paul does I think I can see why he is excited

Its been 7 years since a small camera got me all excited.

Carabosse
27 Nov 2011 - 12:20 AM

I too can see entirely why a camera like the X10 might get people excited. Some people get excited at the red label on a Leica compact. Wink

It is legitimate to compare cameras which offer similar facilities and - it appears - image quality. If we wanted to we could throw a few other cameras into the mix, e.g. the Olympus XZ-1.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.