Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Fuji X10


strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2011 11:13PM
I think it is all a point of perspective Paul. I found the basic point and shoot too limiting, where the S95 brings the controls I want to use. Its a compromise, good enough IQ to be perfectly serviceable, in a take anywhere anytime package. I did try the EPL1 but I found they had the same handling and user problems (compared to SLR) of the S95 and they did not have that carry in the jeans take anywhere quality. With lenses they were bulky. Plus even with the collapsing the lenses were too slow so the IQ at the same shutter speed was pretty well about the same as the m4/3 had to run higher ISO.

Its horses for courses, but at 260 the S95 I bought hit the price/size balance. Make it bigger and I might as well take the SLR. The new X10 looks interesting and if it were around then I would have looked at it. Also Olympus have and interesting compact with a fast lens. At the time of purchase I ended up looking at S95 or LX5, and I only bought the canon because it turned up on special offer.

Ironically I view m4/3 as an interesting alternative to an SLR. On of the Panasonic G series perhaps for me??

But on the X10, I like the sound of it, and if I were in the market for a new camera I would be tempted to give it a go. I can see for a photographer like you its a great choice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Nov 2011 11:27PM

Quote:Ironically I view m4/3 as an interesting alternative to an SLR. On of the Panasonic G series perhaps for me??


I have a G2, but prefer pens with there inbody IS, wireless flash support and more compact lenses Smile

The X10 is no compact, and is about 100 dearer than the S100, but the extras like all metal construction, filter thread and optical viewfinder make the extra cost worth it.

what ever you get there will be a compromise somewhere.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 12:15AM

Quote:CB if I just wanted a basic pocketable point and shoot I would not waste my money on an S95/S100, there far too expensive.


There's nothing basic about them. I can't think of a take every day jeans pocket camera that comes close to those Canons. Those Fuji bricks don't even have better picture quality.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
26 Nov 2011 12:54AM

Quote:CB if I just wanted a basic pocketable point and shoot I would not waste my money on an S95/S100, there far too expensive.


But what if I want something which is pocketable and has the same image quality and functionality, as the Fuji X10?

What should I buy? Smile
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 1:59AM

Quote:The X10 is no compact, and is about 100 dearer than the S100, but the extras like all metal construction, filter thread and optical viewfinder make the extra cost worth it.


LOL @ the optical viewfinder, I'd pay extra for one of those, or maybe just stick a ten pence bit of glass on the top and draw a square on it
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
26 Nov 2011 2:13AM

Quote:maybe just stick a ten pence bit of glass on the top and draw a square on it


Given that the OVF on the X10 gives only an 80% view - and no info whatsoever - one might as well do this! Lol! biggrin-dark.jpg

NikLG e2
9 1.7k England
26 Nov 2011 8:11AM
Could you two go and start a Canon compact lovers group maybe ?
I dont understand your desire to wade into a thread on the x10 merely to post praise
for a different camera and pick fault with the one thats being discussed.
i think you have made your point that you dont like it. Now its starting to sound like sour grapes
or dislike just for the sake of it.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
26 Nov 2011 10:01AM

Quote:Now its starting to sound like sour grapes
or dislike just for the sake of it.



Not at all. I own neither an X10 nor an S95/S100. Discussing the pluses and minuses of these competing cameras is very interesting... rather than it just being an X10 fanboy thread.

And it's not just two of us... e.g. see Strawman's post above.
NikLG e2
9 1.7k England
26 Nov 2011 10:10AM

Quote:Not at all. I own neither an X10 nor an S95/S100.

Ah. So it's not sour grapes then. But how can you compare the cameras if you have no experience of using either ? Not sure what that would be called.......
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 12:12PM

Quote:I dont understand your desire to wade into a thread on the x10 merely to post praise for a different camera and pick fault with the one thats being discussed.


I'll explain how that works and maybe you can get to understand it.

Yesterday ePz published an article pitching the two cameras head-to-head, comparing the relative merits and downsides of each.

The author of the article then posted a link to that article in this very thread. Lo and behold people started to discuss the article and the relative merits and downsides of each (in this thread). Do you see?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Nov 2011 2:21PM

Quote:Yesterday ePz published an article pitching the two cameras head-to-head, comparing the relative merits and downsides of each


Yes comparing apples to oranges, each will have pluses and minuses.


Quote:The author of the article then posted a link to that article in this very thread. Lo and behold people started to discuss the article and the relative merits and downsides of each (in this thread). Do you see?


Yes we see, EPZ gave an idiot some ammunition Smile
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 2:49PM
I wouldn't call you an idiot Paul, I do think it is like comparing apples to oranges though. I think the much bigger and much more expensive Fuji should be compared against other big expensive cameras. Ones with those fancy optical viewfinders. Maybe those old Polaroids? Grin
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 3:41PM
To be fair I own an S95 but think the Fuji an interesting offer. Its not going to be for everyone but if you at what Paul does I think I can see why he is excited. That does not make the X10 perfect for everyone or the S95 either. Lets face it the X10 looks good. I think they appeal to quite different people.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Nov 2011 5:47PM

Quote:I wouldn't call you an idiot Paul, I do think it is like comparing apples to oranges though. I think the much bigger and much more expensive Fuji should be compared against other big expensive cameras. Ones with those fancy optical viewfinders. Maybe those old Polaroids?


Or what I put up on page 7, since this more closely resembles a zone focusing camera than a rangfinder Smile


Quote:Its not going to be for everyone but if you at what Paul does I think I can see why he is excited


Its been 7 years since a small camera got me all excited.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
27 Nov 2011 12:20AM
I too can see entirely why a camera like the X10 might get people excited. Some people get excited at the red label on a Leica compact. Wink

It is legitimate to compare cameras which offer similar facilities and - it appears - image quality. If we wanted to we could throw a few other cameras into the mix, e.g. the Olympus XZ-1.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.