Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Fuji X10

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2011 - 2:20 PM

wohoo... is this our first camera group? Will be interesting to see how it pans out. The system has lots of potential for this kind of group. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Nov 2011 - 2:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeBonsall
24 Nov 2011 - 2:46 PM

Have signed up too. Just need some images to display now.

Am going to see how it performs tomorrow at a gig. I have high hopes after my initial experiments shooting in low light at high ISO the other night!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2011 - 4:31 PM

Quote: The system has lots of potential for this kind of group

Yes that`s what I thought, though I`ve barely scratched the surface and not picked it up in nearly a week, there`s just so much going on.

Its going to be my main camera for street portraits, smaller and less intimidating Smile

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3593 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
25 Nov 2011 - 9:41 AM

Quote: Will be most interesting to see how this compares with the Canon S100, for image quality, when the S100 becomes available.

Here's a comparison:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-powershot-s100-vs-fujifilm-finepix-x10-c...

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 12:27 PM

Excellent comparison review, Josh. Smile

From my reading of it there is, crucially, really nothing in it between the Fuji X10 and the Canon S100 for image quality, viz: "There is similar performance from both cameras right up to ISO3200, with both cameras giving useable images at ISO3200, which is impressive considering the cameras both have small sensors compared to mirrorless or digital SLRs."

So it really comes down to other factors, such as pocketability, price and handling. On the size issue, the pic below shows the difference rather well. I guess, if pocketability is not an issue then you might go for the X10 which manages f2.8 at the top end of its zoom, but if it is important, then you'd go for the S100.

s100-x10.jpg

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 12:31 PM

I use exposure compensation a lot and would find the dial on the Fuji so much easier when using that feature. The Canon is tiny, but for us traditionalists the Fuji does look like a "real" camera. Having said that I take loads of shots on the iPhone these days so I cannot use that excuse Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 12:36 PM

If one already owns an M4/3 camera, I suspect the Fuji X10 would not make a lot of sense.

But the X10 could be an excellent 'only' camera for those who are not interested in interchangeable lenses.

Quote: Having said that I take loads of shots on the iPhone these days so I cannot use that excuse

Indeed, it makes one wonder whether any compact camera is a sensible buy, these days........

User_Removed
25 Nov 2011 - 12:38 PM

Don't you realise that you can turn the front lens ring on the S100 and do exposure comp with it? It's one of the best features of those Canons, sadly not really mentioned in the review which praised the Fuji for physical control.

Carabosse
25 Nov 2011 - 12:42 PM

Quote: Don't you realise that you can turn the front lens ring on the S100 and do exposure comp with it? It's one of the best features of those Canons, sadly not really mentioned in the review which praised the Fuji for physical control.

A good point Chris - perhaps Josh might like to add a note to his review. Smile

Pete
25 Nov 2011 - 1:23 PM

I haven't handle either of the cameras yet, so I wasn't aware - I assumed the Canon had a menu button approach, that's good then! Thanks Chris. I'm sure Josh is aware of that, but if it's not obvious from the review we need to consider that.

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 1:24 PM

Assuming its the same as the S95, you push the ring button and assign it to the function you want. I tend to use the front ring for aperture and the rear for exposure compensation.

**Edit** Just noticed the ring function is gone from the top plate in the S100, have they removed that???

** Edit again its on the back now in place of the S (Direct print) button I have mapped to ISO.

Last Modified By strawman at 25 Nov 2011 - 1:26 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 3:54 PM

The Canon has no hot shoe, no filter thread, and no optical viewfinder, not good.

Paul Morgan
25 Nov 2011 - 4:04 PM

Quote: If one already owns an M4/3 camera, I suspect the Fuji X10 would not make a lot of sense

I do and it does Smile

Carabosse
25 Nov 2011 - 4:58 PM

Quote: The Canon has no hot shoe, no filter thread, and no optical viewfinder, not good.

Ah but it fits in your jeans pocket! Wink

If I want an 'almost pocketable camera" I use my Olympus Pen.

The new Pen Mini, with std zoom, must weigh no more than the X10, I would have thought.

Paul Morgan
25 Nov 2011 - 6:30 PM

Quote: Ah but it fits in your jeans pocket!

So would most digicams costing 100 or less.

CB if I just wanted a basic pocketable point and shoot I would not waste my money on an S95/S100, there far too expensive.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.