Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Fujifilm FinePix X100 at Focus on Imaging 2011

joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 9:16AM
fujifilm-finepix-x100--28---medium-.jpg

There is a relatively good number of Fujifilm FinePix X100's on display - around 4 cameras - so getting to try one is quite easy. The X100 has a novel optical / electronic viewfinder overlay that is worth seeing to full appreciate. The front switch is used to switch between the different optical / electronic views, and the lens has a manual aperture ring around it (as well as an Auto position).

fujifilm-finepix-x100--27---medium-.jpg

The top has a number of manual controls, and dials for exposure, shutter speed, function button and flash hotshoe.

fujifilm-finepix-x100--29---medium-.jpg

The screen on the back is bright, and the electronic spirit level is a useful feature. The camera's focusing speed was slower than some people had wished for - and it does seem to focus at roughly the same speed as a compact digital camera, although I have not done any scientific testing, so this is just my general hands-on opinion.

More pictures and details to follow... if you want to know anything about it, let me know and I can ask Fuji

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
7 Mar 2011 9:22AM

Quote:The camera's focusing speed was slower

That would be the first thing to ask, WHY!
I am not sure if it is average focusing speed, however I tested Panasonic after the X100, and Panasonic focusing speed is much faster.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
7 Mar 2011 9:44AM
I went to Focus yesterday with this camera No 1 on my list - and was very disappointed with the focusing.
It borders on the useless for capturing a 'snapshot moment'. That moment will have disappeared by the time the shutter is able to release. And this is a 1K camera?

Sorry Fuji - back to the drawing board. Sad
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 10:09AM
there seems to be an awful lot of of latent interest in the Fuji X100 mostly I suspect for it's good retro Leica like looks however if the focus speed is that bad it isn't going to be good at what most would buy it for (apart from cache and male jewellery) i.e. street photography unless it has a good manual focus function.
RoyBoy 10 173 2 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 12:44PM
I also had a little go with this camera yesterday at Focus.

The camera was nice in the hand and good to look at. However the dials felt a bit "plasticy" and the write speed was diabolical for a camera just released onto the market. The "rep" said that he noticed this too (when I pointed it out) and "thinks" that maybe it is because the camera had a slowish card in it. Even it was the slowest card availble the write speed should had been better. Also would you not think that Fuji would have mad sure that there was a high speed card in the camera in order to show it at its best??

Regards
Roy
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 3:24PM
Did anyone else find the middle Menu/OK button impossible to press - and keep hitting the up/down arrows instead?
7 Mar 2011 5:55PM
I didn't get past the Focus problem Josh. That did it for me. Sad
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 6:15PM
I dumbly assumed you would focus it like a rangefinder, how did it do on manual pre-focus, could you set a hyperfocal distance easily? I was hoping for something that would autofocus focus like the Panasonic m4/3 cameras and have easy to use manual focus.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Mar 2011 6:16PM

Quote:I didn't get past the Focus problem Josh. That did it for me

That`s off putting Mike, maybe there`s a firmware upgrade in the pipeline.

Quote:how did it do on manual pre-focus, could you set a hyperfocal distance easily? I was hoping for something that would autofocus focus like the Panasonic m4/3 cameras and have easy to use manual focus

I believe you can only do it via the rear screen John, would have been better with markers on the lens.
7 Mar 2011 6:25PM
You could do everything that one is used to (and expects) with the shutter release 'half press' John...

except it took

that long to acquire the focus point selected and release the system to the shutter mechanism. (i.e the time it took for you to end up reading this line)

(I am not kidding)

EDIT: For the military-minded amongst us, it was akin to the Sgt Major teaching drill - remember the phrase 'One - (PAUSE) - TWO!' ?

Wink
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 7:03PM
fujifilm-finepix-x100--16---small-.jpg

Very much a rangefinder style camera, but without the rangefinder focusing system.

fujifilm-finepix-x100--18---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--7---small-.jpg

Nice aperture ring Smile and lens hood
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 7:04PM
fujifilm-finepix-x100--11---small-.jpg

Aperture blades in focus in this shot
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 7:10PM
Dynamic Range bracketing is one of the options, along with 5fps shooting.

Four shooting menus:

fujifilm-finepix-x100--2---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--3---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--4---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--5---small-.jpg

joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 7:14PM
Setup menus

fujifilm-finepix-x100--21---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--22---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--23---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--24---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--25---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--1---small-.jpg

joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 7:18PM
And finallly... Smile (unless you want more!)

ISO100 - ISO12800 (and lots inbetween)

fujifilm-finepix-x100--13---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--14---small-.jpg

fujifilm-finepix-x100--17---small-.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.