Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fujifilm FinePix X100 at Focus on Imaging 2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
7 Mar 2011 - 7:20 PM

But the autofocus is S L O W Josh.

Fact.

(And this is a 1000.00 camera!)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Mar 2011 - 7:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2011 - 7:39 PM

Think I`ll wait and see what comes out in the way of firmware upgrades Sad

SylvainG
SylvainG  3
7 Mar 2011 - 7:52 PM

Quote: But the autofocus is S L O W Josh.

Fact.

(And this is a 1000.00 camera!)

Hi Mike,

How is the actual motor speed? Would you say that AF speed was motor limited or rather contrast detection limited.
I'm hoping it's more of a software problem :x

Greetings,
S.

User_Removed
7 Mar 2011 - 7:52 PM

Definitely...

Quote: contrast detection limited

(A motor can only respond to the data received - once the focus point was selected, the motor responded the moment the data was fed.)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Mar 2011 - 7:55 PM
SylvainG
SylvainG  3
7 Mar 2011 - 8:12 PM

Thanks Mike but what I was implying is that some motors are just faster than others, all other things being equal. The very good Panasonic 20mm lens is the bottleneck on all m43 cameras for instance. It's motor is just slow.

Judging by your answer, there would be hope and room for improvement.

User_Removed
7 Mar 2011 - 8:41 PM

Quote: ...there would be hope and room for improvement.

Not only IMO, but those around myself and a good friend at the time, agreed that this issue needs to be addressed. Indeed, 'how can they bring something to market with such a retail price and be so off the mark' was a common consensus.

I was quite prepared to walk away with one yesterday (two other mainstream dealers had stock - whilst interestingly, the rep I spoke to on their stand said that they would have a 'small stock available in a few days'?) but hearing the comments as the camera was passed to me - and then seeing for myself how bad it was - I walked away.

BTW - Welcome to EPZ!! Enjoy your time here... It's the best around Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Mar 2011 - 8:42 PM
SylvainG
SylvainG  3
7 Mar 2011 - 9:22 PM

Smile Thanks for your detailed input and the warm welcome Mike !

boone
boone  3 United States
8 Mar 2011 - 3:40 AM

What version of the firmware did the cameras have? I am asking because this data seems to contradict what others that have the camera in Japan are posting. If it is true in version 1.0, then Fuji will have to quickly address it to meet the specifications in their owner's manual of 0.17 Sec going to 0.4 sec with OVF poser save ON.

forest23
forest23  3 England
8 Mar 2011 - 10:56 AM

Obviously against the Leica x1 at least it has a viewfinder
Regards

User_Removed
8 Mar 2011 - 12:07 PM

Just to change the thrust of the comments a wee bit:-

Apart from the problems that have been identified by those who have actually handled the camera (and apart from the fact it looks a bit like an old Leica), what positive features does this camera have that would make it worth the money (or even half the money)?

Streetshooter

Could someone explain the accuracy of the OVF frame lines compared to the EVF or screen?
This is where the camera either succeeds or fails.
Thanks...shooter

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2011 - 2:53 PM

Quote: Could someone explain the accuracy of the OVF frame lines compared to the EVF or screen?

I`ve not seen or handled the camera in the flesh but I can`t see a problem with frame lines, the camera has a fixed lens.

boone
boone  3 United States
8 Mar 2011 - 2:53 PM

The OVF frame lines are the same as on a Leica, approx 90%. This allows you to see outside of the frame lines. The EVF is 100%, same as the LCD on the back.

Streetshooter

I'm an M shooter for over 45 years.
I've heard the the X100 is around 80% compared to Leica 92-94%.
This would concern many M shooters. I saw a few examples that raised a flag to me and I'm sure others as well.
Thanks for the reply.
Don

boone
boone  3 United States
8 Mar 2011 - 3:04 PM

Please read the owner's manual. It is 0.5x 90%. The PDF is available on line from multiple sources.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.