Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fujifilm FinePix X100 at Focus on Imaging 2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

petemasty
petemasty  5155 forum posts England
10 Mar 2011 - 9:41 AM

Cheers Monster

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Mar 2011 - 9:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SylvainG
SylvainG  3
10 Mar 2011 - 2:14 PM

Actually, shutter lag is clocked at 0.01s IIRC

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2011 - 2:55 PM

Quote: Actually, shutter lag is clocked at 0.01s IIRC

And a handy 5 fps Smile

User_Removed
10 Mar 2011 - 4:01 PM

I'm going to need to be convinced by actual focus speed before I shell out on it - even at 899.00.

From Pete's natter with Fuji SM:

Quote: ...as the designers had a choice of creating a bigger bulkier camera with fastest focus or a smaller one with more moderate speed focusing.

I find that interesting. Theoretical response times mean nothing in the real world - it's the practicality that matters.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2011 - 4:18 PM

Quote: I'm going to need to be convinced by actual focus speed before I shell out on it - even at 899.00.

We're eager to get our hands on the camera to put the record straight. As well as our normal thorough test, we plan to test it along side compacts and SLRs to see where it fits in terms of focusing.

User_Removed
10 Mar 2011 - 8:32 PM

I think that would be a good move Pete; there is no doubt here that Fuji have brought in a 'winner' on so many levels - but at a serious price-point (900 - 1000 GBP).

Several people have recorded better AF response times from less expensive examples and it would be good to see some independent professional critique but...

I would caution any prospective buyer (and I am one) to be absolutely sure that the AF system delivers to their expectations before committing to purchase.

boone
boone  3 United States
10 Mar 2011 - 10:53 PM

I just received mine from Japan: Well I have it in my hot little hands. OMG! This thing is fabulous. Obviously a lot to learn but the build quality is very very good to excellent. The only quibble so far is the menu button is a little cheasy and hard to hit just the menu button as it doesn't protrude enough. Other than that, I see nothing to complain about.

I conducted timed tests on AF and Fuji's timing seems to be about right. I shot a stop watch on screen that runs in the milliseconds. Full press every 10 seconds AF-S mode. Average repeatable time was 477 msec. Then set the camera to MF and repeated full press timings. Average time was 311 msec, meaning the AF was taking about 166 msec. Then I did with 1/2 press and timing was around 172 msec.

I took the camera into a dark room and set ISO to 6400 F2 and shutter time was 1/5 (that's dark) and tried AF. It uses assist lamp but was just as quick as in bright room. I also tried it in a room where at ISO800 F2 shutter time was 1/2.5 and AF was still quick no AF assist.

This looks like it is going to be a real winner. I haven't played with images yet as I'm still learning some of the controls.

The IQ I am seeing is very very good. I hope to do more later as I have to run into my office now.

TonB
TonB  3
11 Mar 2011 - 5:33 AM

I saw from Fujifilm's Facebook Page that you can buy FinePix X100 at the IT Show. Part of their special deals! Grin

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2011 - 12:02 PM

This guys comments may help some of you. My concern on looking at his images is more how the out of focus area is handled rather than AF, but it could be due to processing issues.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 - 3:46 PM

Quote: I saw from Fujifilm's Facebook Page that you can buy FinePix X100 at the IT Show. Part of their special deals! Grin

Which IT show? Also which Fuji FB Page? They have loads... Smile

User_Removed
11 Mar 2011 - 6:46 PM

Picking up from John's link directly above (strawman), I find the comment made there -

Quote: I've been shooting sport today which doesn't really lend itself to putting the X100 through it's paces

- interesting in that, this is supposed to be a 1000.00 'compact' (i.e. 'snapshot' - 'capture-the-moment' camera) and for me, if it can't capture a sporting image, then I'll look at something else.

Street photography/Sport photography = similar hardware demands when it comes to focus ability.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2011 - 6:58 PM

He picked the wrong sport anyway Mike, something like boxing or martial arts would have been a real test Smile

strawman
11 Mar 2011 - 7:09 PM

The hybrid viewfinder sounds good I would like to see that.

Paul Morgan
11 Mar 2011 - 7:44 PM

It has an f2 lens, can shoot up to iso 12800 and at 5 fps.

Am I missing something when I`m told it would be too slow for sports/action, with af switched off it will still deliver.

strawman
11 Mar 2011 - 7:46 PM

I agree Paul it should be fine like that, I was more worried about the rendition of out of focus areas. It could be his processing.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.