Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fujifilm FinePix X100 at Focus on Imaging 2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2011 - 7:56 PM

Quote: I agree Paul it should be fine like that, I was more worried about the rendition of out of focus areas. It could be his processing

Had a quick look, more than likely the point of focus, pretty expected and normal really at f2 or 2.8.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Mar 2011 - 7:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2011 - 8:00 PM

I was expecting a smoother rendition myself, but I would rather play with one before calling a judgement. I do not think it will be a camera for everyone, but some people may well love it.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2011 - 8:10 PM

Quote: I do not think it will be a camera for everyone, but some people may well love it

agree Smile

TheActivePhotographer

Like many of you who were so keen to get your hands on this camera at Focus, I approached the Fujifilm stand with a sense of both excitement and apprehension - I really didn't want the rumours of slow focus speed to be true.

My opinion? Hmm... Yes, it did feel pretty slow - but then, I am used tp shooting on pro kit, which by its very nature is engineered to be super fast and super responsive. And the X100 has never been billed as a camera of that style or performance.

I'd say keep an open mind; word has it that a firmware upgrade will go at least some way to addressing the problem. In the meantime, keep an eye on what others have to say before parting with your hard-earned cash.

There's a chance I may be getting one for review shortly, so I'll keep you all posted. Also, I did an interview with Fujifilm's product manager whilst at Focus, which I'll be sharing thtough my podcast in the coming weeks (see link in my profile if interested).

Paul Morgan
13 Mar 2011 - 5:14 PM

Quote: I was expecting a smoother rendition myself, but I would rather play with one before calling a judgement. I do not think it will be a camera for everyone, but some people may well love it

Its going to sell by the bucket load.

Hands-On Preview

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 13 Mar 2011 - 5:15 PM
pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2011 - 5:47 PM

Have to admit , aswell as picking up my competition prize ! Grin , one of my other reasons for going to focus was to see the X100 , and unusually for me once i had seen it in the cabinet that was enough... not at all the look and style I was expecting and looks obviously plastic and new , real shame was expecting great things but seen as the X100 is an aesthetic tool it needs a lot more tweeking in the looks department and get rid of that nastly sparkly plastic silver stuff on the top for me to part with nearly leica money ...

boone
boone  3 United States
13 Mar 2011 - 6:19 PM

Check out this comparison shoot between X1 and X100.
X1 VS X100

Paul Morgan
13 Mar 2011 - 6:32 PM

Quote: Check out this comparison shoot between X1 and X100

I can`t be bothered, have you ever played with or used the x1, pictures are fine, but every thing else including cost Sad

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 13 Mar 2011 - 6:36 PM
boone
boone  3 United States
13 Mar 2011 - 6:40 PM

If you can't be bothered, then why are you on this thread? Yes I have played with one and in fact I own (X100 not X1) so I don't get your comment. I thought this thread was to help prospective owners evaluate the camera and determine whether it would meet their needs. One should also look at the following two threads. One on AF speed and one comparing the 5D II, X100 and X1.
GF2 v X100 v X1 AF Speed test
5DII v X100 v X1

Paul Morgan
13 Mar 2011 - 8:25 PM

Why, because I`ve been following the development of the x100 with interest, the x1 has never interested me.

What`s the point in comparing a 5d against an x1 or x100 ?

boone
boone  3 United States
13 Mar 2011 - 8:33 PM

It gives you known quality image cameras to compare against the X100. Sometimes comparing against a known is easier than relying on image memory. Sort of like comparing two different loudspeaker sets.

Paul Morgan
13 Mar 2011 - 8:48 PM

Quote: It gives you known quality image cameras to compare against the X100. Sometimes comparing against a known is easier than relying on image memory. Sort of like comparing two different loudspeaker sets

So why a 5d and not something like a 40D, your comparing apples to oranges Smile

strawman
13 Mar 2011 - 10:17 PM

Given the sensor size, I thought it was stacking up quite well Paul, I guess they were thinking the people who will buy this camera may well have a top notch DSLR already. But your point is fair.

Paul Morgan
13 Mar 2011 - 10:20 PM

No worries of how it stacks up John, if only I could afford one Smile

strawman
13 Mar 2011 - 10:27 PM

The m4/3 cameras are dropping in price, the Olympus EP1 and kit lens is at an interesting price now for example Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.