Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fujifilm s4000 washed out oil-painting effect. help!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
jeffuk
jeffuk  2 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2011 - 2:08 PM

Hi All,

Just got a s4000, after having an old s7000, the picture quality is just, odd. See attached, macro shot; this is straight from the memory card; and looks like it's had a comedy oil painting effect applied to it.

Is this something I can fix, or is this as good as this camera is going to get?

Jeff.dscf1199-1-.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jul 2011 - 2:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
31 Jul 2011 - 2:29 PM

Is this the only shot you've taken or are there more where this came from?

It might also help us to help you if you could tell us, in some detail, what camera settings you were using.

I've got a Fuji S5700 and whilst I'm not sure I could replicate what you've got here, there are lots of ways to get it wrong.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 31 Jul 2011 - 2:30 PM
jeffuk
jeffuk  2 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2011 - 2:59 PM

Thanks for your reply.

The above is on auto mode, so not sure of the settings, Basically it seems to has this effect to a greater or lesser extent on all photos.

The attached is cropped, but otherwise unedited.

Again, full auto, good sunlight.

dscf1173.jpg

EXIF data says:

Width 4288
Height 3216
File Size 1884091
Camera FUJIFILM
Model FinePix S4000
ISO 64
Exposure 1/150 sec
Aperture 9.0
Focal Length 5mm
Flash Used false
White Balance 0
Metering Mode 5
Exposure Programme 2
CCD Width 6.1327233
Exposure Bias 0.0
Focal Plane X-Resolution 6992.0
Focal Plane Resolution Unit 3.0
Date and Time (Original) 2011:07:31 11:55:14
Colour Space 1
X-Resolution 72.0
Y-Resolution 72.0
Resolution Unit 2
Software Digital Camera FinePix S4000 Ver1.01
Date and Time 2011:07:31 11:55:14
YCbCr Positioning 2
Date and Time (Digitised) 2011:07:31 11:55:14
Compressed Bits Per Pixel 4.0
Brightness 9.2
Max Aperture 3.26
Light Source 0
Sensing Method 2
Custom Rendered 0
Exposure Mode 0
Focal Length (in 35 mm film) 29
Scene Capture Type 0
Sharpness 0
Subject Distance Range 0
Interoperability Index R98
Related Image Width 4288
Related Image Height 3216
Time Zone Offset 0, 0, 0
Time Zone Minutes 0, 0, 0

User_Removed
31 Jul 2011 - 3:08 PM

please post uncropped. Looks normal to me.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Jul 2011 - 3:10 PM
jeffuk
jeffuk  2 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2011 - 3:31 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/jeffuk/S4000#

For your perusal Smile

I'm happy (excited?) to be proven wrong, but I just feel it has an artificial look when zoomed in, and for a 14MP camera I'd hope to be able to crop and zoom and the photos to still maintain a reasonable level of quality.

User_Removed
31 Jul 2011 - 3:37 PM

It does look very soft around the edges.

However I would think that is just the resolving quality of the camera.

A high MP doesn't necessarily mean more quality, particularly on a small point and shoot sensor.

Jestertheclown
31 Jul 2011 - 3:58 PM

I'd agree with all of that Sam.

Remember also that we're looking at an upload of an upload and even if it's posted as it originally came straight from the camera, there will almost certainly have been some degredation between there and here.
I've found that quite a number of my shots look quite different on here compared to the way they do on my computer.
That applies particularly to any mods. I upload in the CG. They hardly ever reproduce as I want them to.

As for your butterfly, you describe it as "macro." If you were using the macro setting on the camera (bearing in mind, I'm using mine for reference and it may be slightly different), then I'd say you were too far away from the subject for the camera to capture it succesfully. I think that for the macro settings to work, you need to be within just a few inches of the subject.
And when it does work, it works really well. It's one of the S5700's strongest points. That's probably true of yours too.
That doesn't really explain the strange colours although as the whites in the centre are blown, perhaps we could put it down to its exposure? I'm not really sure.

jeffuk
jeffuk  2 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2011 - 7:48 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I've spent the day comparing my S7000 to the s4000, what i've seen is that I do get this odd effect on the newer camera; but only at a resolution where the older one would already be struggling; basically, the s4000 replaces what would be noise, with flat colours; neither looks perfect, and at normal screen resolutions both look fine.

I think the summary is, as long as the picture is framed correctly in the first place; i.e. doesn't require cropping; the s4000 gives good pictures for what I want them for. When I start zooming in, it looks different to my previous camera, but only because the quality degrades in a different way, NOT because it degrades more.

thanks again.

Jeff

Last Modified By jeffuk at 31 Jul 2011 - 7:48 PM
Jestertheclown
31 Jul 2011 - 8:05 PM

I've always avoided using the digital zoom on mine.
I found that I could get better shots staying within the limits of the optical zoom and then cropping the bit I wanted. Almost everything in my Pf's been taken with an S5700 and using that method.
I suggest thouigh, that you get away from using the "auto" setting as it is very much a jack-of-all-trades and whilst it wil give you good(ish) results in most situations, you'll be missing out an a lot of oportunities where you could do better.
I keep mine set to "P" as a matter of course and sometimes use "aperture", depending on what I'm doing.
Keep the histogram in the viewfinder and learn to recognise what it's telling you and you won't go far wrong.

Bren.

Jestertheclown
31 Jul 2011 - 8:10 PM

All is not lost . . .

. . . Photoshop is your friend!

dscf1173.jpg

User_Removed
31 Jul 2011 - 9:07 PM

ll is not lost . . .

. . . Photoshop is your friend!

dscf1173.jpg

Jestertheclown
31 Jul 2011 - 9:18 PM

Brilliant!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3583 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
31 Jul 2011 - 10:28 PM

See our S3200 review... it's the same camera (same sensor, image processing etc) but with less zoom. looking at your pictures, it looks like you may have a poor example of the camera (poor quality control? defective lens?) as the garden shot is significantly softer on the left of the image than the right hand side. (Had the same thing with the Fuji F550).

jeffuk
jeffuk  2 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2011 - 8:34 PM

Ok all is forgiven, I guess I just had a bad day! I've taken photos in similar situations to the above and got some pretty good results now..

dscf1265.jpg

and for the record, this is cropped quite heavily too!

Last Modified By jeffuk at 1 Aug 2011 - 8:35 PM
morfeus333
9 Sep 2011 - 6:26 PM

Hey, try this! ...

Set the camera to fine image quality and in the "sharpness" section to select the lowest.
wala! paint effect on the images reduced by 90%

for me is a very good camera.

I apologize for my bad English.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.