Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Fujifilm X-S1

kodachrome 3 535
5 Jan 2012 6:21PM
Any body seen one or read reviews on the new Fujifilm S-X1. It seems to be a High End Bridge camera [nearly 700 ] with a decent size sensor. and could be a good replacement for an entry level DSLR?

Pete

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw 9 13.4k 28 Wales
5 Jan 2012 6:27PM
700 for a bridge camera?! You can not be serious!
User_Removed 11 17.9k 8 Norway
5 Jan 2012 6:39PM

Quote:700 for a bridge camera?! You can not be serious!

I agree Cole. That is ludicrous!
Paul Morgan Plus
13 16.6k 6 England
5 Jan 2012 8:10PM
When I got my Canon Pro 1 its was slightly dearer than a 20D body Smile

It uses the same sensor as the X10, if you don`t need the zoom range the x10 would be a better buy.

But this new Fuji CSC looks good.
joshwa Plus
4 738 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2012 10:59PM
kodachrome 3 535
6 Jan 2012 8:43AM
Now that Fuji are putting a sensible size sensor in their high end bridge cameras, they are becoming a viable alternative to a DSLR, or at least at the consumer end of the DSLR market.

Unless you need an ultra wide or very long lens, the lens will probably cover most of your photo requirements, it certainly would for me. My old HS10 which I sold had a very good Fujinon lens and I was never disappointed with its performance which in my view was as good if not better than any DSLR kit lens, it was the small sensor that let the camera down.

No more dust problems, no more expensive extra lenses, just one UV filter, just one lens hood, all these bits add up on a DSLR with extra lenses. I have always liked the concept, but the price on the X-S1 does need to come down a bit.

Peter
Paul Morgan Plus
13 16.6k 6 England
6 Jan 2012 4:51PM

Quote:I think you mean the XS-1, announced in November with a 699 RRP

Yes I know Josh Smile
kodachrome 3 535
30 Apr 2012 11:24AM
Hi Josh & friends

Just to resurrect this thread for a moment. When you reviewed the Fujifilm X-S1 you gave it a glowing report ending with a verdict of 'fantastic' image quality and 'Superb' image quality and I don't doubt your integrety in arriving at that verdict.

I have read several other reports on this camera where they were not quite so praising on IQ and lens performance as you were. One report said the X10 gave better results mainly because of the lens differences. I think it was Trusted Reviews who gave the X-S1 top marks and editors choice and another 3 sites were scathing and not so kind saying the images were not as sharp as they could be.

Do you ever wonder yourself just how other reviewers test and arrive at their verdicts. My own view on the X10 is 'fabulous' with superb IQ & colour.
Any views on this would be helpful, because its an entry level DSLR or the Fufi X-S1 I have to decide on.
Cheers

Kodachrome
Pete Plus
13 18.7k 96 England
30 Apr 2012 11:33AM
Title changed to X-S1, Josh alerted to the thread
joshwa Plus
4 738 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 11:56AM

Quote:My own view on the X10 is 'fabulous' with superb IQ & colour. Any views on this would be helpful, because its an entry level DSLR or the Fufi X-S1 I have to decide on.

Hi Kodachrome,

The X10 is a fantastic camera. These two cameras have very good results for cameras with compact sensors, however they do not match the image quality that is possible with a Digital SLR (or Mirrorless camera) due to the larger sensors in these. If ultimate image quality is a priority for you then a Digital SLR / Mirrorless and a good lens is the best combination.

I can not comment on other review sites, as each will have it's own camera scoring system.

Thanks

Josh
kodachrome 3 535
30 Apr 2012 12:43PM
Thanks Josh

I think I know now which direction to take.

Koda

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.