Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fujifilm X-S1 and large sensors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kodachrome
    29 Aug 2012 - 8:13 AM

I just wondered why Fuji did not go that bit further and fit an APS-C sensor or even a 4thirds sensor in the X-S1. They could have used the X-100 sensor. Is there a technical reason they didn't or is there a commercial reason?

Kodachrome

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Aug 2012 - 8:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andart
    andart  12479 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Aug 2012 - 10:47 AM

larger sensors need larger lenses - the cost (and weight) of creating an APS-C version with the same focal range as the X-S1 would be enormous.

kodachrome
    29 Aug 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks, I see what you mean, would this also apply to a 4thirds size sensor.

andart
    andart  12479 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Aug 2012 - 11:32 AM

yes - look at the panasonic G3 - arount 350 with the kit lens, you would have to add a 100-300 lens (costing another 420 ish) to cover most of the range of the X-S1

kodachrome
    29 Aug 2012 - 11:54 AM

I know the advantages of the Fujifilm X-S1 lens. Its focul range is probably more than I would ever need. Apart from the extra lens costs of a DSLR/ M4thirds system, I looked at other points in the Fuji's favour as well, one lens, one filter, one lens hood, one small kit bag and no dust problems.
    If you have several detachable DSLR or M/4thirds lenses, each with a quality filter and lens hood per lens at roughly 35 each, a largish kit bag, it works out pretty expensive and heavy, I think the Fujiflm X-S1 sells its self.

Now look at the new entry level X-E1 from Fuji, Wow!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.