Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fun Friday the 13th

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
bayesp
bayesp  11292 forum posts
12 Feb 2004 - 1:01 PM

It's Friday the 13th tomorrow,if nay of you are brave enough to play with the witchcraft that is the internet on such a day, it would be fun to know what crazy or odd superstions you have heard of.Or examples of any coming true.
Heres a couple for starters. (My mum has many)
Never pick up dropped spoons, this came to light as my Dad skidded across the kitchen on a spoon nearly breaking his neck.
Don't put new shoes on a table. My mum once rugby tackled me in front of a new girlfreind as i headed towards a table with some new trainers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Feb 2004 - 1:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

zippie
zippie  101329 forum posts England
12 Feb 2004 - 1:04 PM

Doesn't say much for your Mum, if your Dad nearly broke his neck on a spoon, because she wouldn't pick it up !!! LOL

bayesp
12 Feb 2004 - 1:35 PM

She's very superstitious, unfortunately my sister, my dad and me, are not.
We tend to make use of my Mums superstions as a source of entertainment, wicked lot that we are.

flossie
flossie  101557 forum posts
12 Feb 2004 - 1:49 PM

Never cross someone on the stairs, my gran would never go down or up if somebody was already coming the other way ...it really would be bad luck if you got wedged half way up because both need to lose a few pounds :o)

bayesp
12 Feb 2004 - 2:44 PM

Yep, thats another one my Mum beleives in.
You'ld be there forever in a car park or an office block.
I guess you could use the lift.

darla
darla  10341 forum posts
12 Feb 2004 - 4:06 PM

I am a strong believer in the not passing on the stairs, for some time at work it was @the thing@ to wait at the bottom for me to come down, then someone to start to come up the stairs and I would turn back and have to start again..... .very amusing entertainment for my work mates!

Though, I believe that most superstitions have very simple explanations as to their origin, except the ridiculously stupid ones of course!!

eg: bad luck to pass on the stairs because the banister is only on one side and someone could fall down

Dont walk under a ladder in case something falls on your head

bayesp
12 Feb 2004 - 4:27 PM

I've got an odd one of my own.
I never listen to the music of a band i'm going to see on the day of the gig.
I can't remember how this came about, but i've stuck to it for years now.

Franticsmurf
12 Feb 2004 - 6:06 PM

Magpies. I always recite the poem 'one for sorrow' etc (remember the ITV programme 'Magpie'?) depending pn how many magpies I see. A mate told me that he always said 'Morning Captain' when he saw a magpie. Since then, I've done both!
Dave

Mari
Mari e2 Member 101825 forum postsMari vcard Wales
12 Feb 2004 - 7:05 PM

Hey I like this idea - Fun Friday on a Thursday! On telly recently in a test the nation programme on driving, they gave out facts that the worst car accidents happen on a Friday in February in blue cars if you're a Capricorn. This fits my daughters description perfectly she has a blue car, capricorn etc. so I have told her she is not to drive tomorrow, especially it being the 13th - scary!

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2004 - 7:16 PM

I've heard that too Dave - that you should acknowledge a lone magpie. However the word I heard was 'salute' but a subtle nod and mutter is all any lone magpie is getting from me.

My grandmother told me this one - that when you get a sudden tinnitus, or ringing in the ears, you should start counting slowly, and when the ringing stops, that number corresponds to the letter of the alphabet which begins the name of the person who is thinking about you.

Here's one .. whenever you have good fortune, remember to pass it on with a kind word or deed at the very next opportunity.

colin b
colin b  10367 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Feb 2004 - 9:09 PM

My sister was told "if you keep a piece of string in your purse it will never be empty". She kept a piece for many years, then anounced what she'd done and for how long one day, as a 'tip'. I couldn't stop laughing! The string went in the bin....

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
12 Feb 2004 - 10:38 PM

On Friday the thirteenth you should touch your forelock thirteen times with your right hand while facing SSW, standing on your left leg in a bucket of lentils with a Badger under your left arm, while singing 'The hills are alive...'

This should be repeated on the hour from 7pm till midnight.

If any one is going to perform this, please let us all know, so we can have good laugh and maybe take some piccys.

LoL

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2004 - 10:51 PM

Ivan I don't have a forelock as such. I have a sort of fringe though. Will that do, or will I have to compensate by substituting custard for lentils?

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
12 Feb 2004 - 11:19 PM

The fringe is OK but not the custard.
Suet would be OK though.

Don't forget your Badger ;o)

(or a Beaver in an emergency)
ROFL

faerie
faerie  1048 forum posts Scotland
12 Feb 2004 - 11:19 PM

theres the usual throwing a pinch of salt over your left shoulder if you spill any. oh if you say touch wood you actually have to touch a piece of wood (or the neaest persons head lol) oh and if an ambulance passes you, you are supposed to cross yourself, or maybe thats a catholic thing! (not that im a catholic (sp??) but i went to a catholic school) umm not sure if this is superstitious but i keep a dream catcher on my window and i keep my taro cards in a silk bag! i do have a black cat and i do have a broom in the cupboard but as far as i know im not a witch lol!
im sure i had more superstitions...!

amy Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.