Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Funeral Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
12 Nov 2010 - 2:40 PM

Just wondered if anyone else saw the short BBC 1 news item on funeral photography this morning. According to the lady who runs the company there appears to be a growing demand (!!). However, the togs have to be (quote) 'sensitive and non- intrusive'. They even produce photobooks.

Poses all sorts of questions i.e for the group shot, do you get the participants to smile? And all those black/dark clothes - a whole new exposure challenge.

Anyway a serious subject SadSad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Nov 2010 - 2:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wrinkles
wrinkles e2 Member 5346 forum postswrinkles vcard United Kingdom
12 Nov 2010 - 3:38 PM

Nothing wrong with this idea,in the past i have taken pics of flowers at funerals of my own accord,and have presented them to the people involved,and recieved many thanks.
After all it is memories that count.

going_digital
12 Nov 2010 - 3:55 PM

It does seem a bit odd the idea of taking photos at a funeral as it is not really the event that you want to remember it is the life of the person. Many people will say that the funeral is a time to celebrate the life of that person, the fond things you remember and to say goodbye. It is not like a wedding where you look back and so 'oh do you remember what a lovely day'. I think part of what prevents us from living in a perpetual state of depression is that we naturally try and put the sad things behind us and try to remember the good things.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2010 - 4:03 PM

I think that funerals are a little like weddings in that they can tend to bring in a lot of distant family and friends - so I can see people wanting to remember distant relatives and friends through photos of the day.
Especially so today when long distance travel is so easily done

Daffy1
Daffy1  6336 forum posts Ireland
12 Nov 2010 - 4:49 PM

A letter in today's "Irish Times" ,seemingly photographing funerals in very common in Finland !. We are very good at funerals here in Ireland with the "wake" and all that kind of thing but as yet no photographs. I think I'll put it in my will that my funeral should be photographed !!. Damian

User_Removed
12 Nov 2010 - 6:25 PM

Quote: Nothing wrong with this idea

I agree. This world is shrinking fast and it is not uncommon these days to have very dispersed families/friends who cannot attend the send-off of the loved one on the day so a tastefully produced portfolio of the event is a solution that can be very welcome.

cameraman
cameraman  11227 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2010 - 7:48 PM

I cannot see any reason not to photograph a funeral, it is the one certain event in life. And it need not be mournful, more a celebration, and as such something to remember with fondness.

Not too long ago I photographed my mother-in-laws funeral. I look at the pictures often and I am so glad that I took them. After all, I had photographed her enough times when she was alive so why not at her last event?

I was also asked last year to photograph the funeral of a friend, which I did. Everyone, including the undertakers, wanted to see the photos, there is nothing morbid about them. Just another way of remembering the departed.

Michael.

wrinkles
wrinkles e2 Member 5346 forum postswrinkles vcard United Kingdom
12 Nov 2010 - 9:25 PM

It's all about closer.

photostoreuk
13 Nov 2010 - 6:47 AM

The Americans have been photographing funerals for yeas, i know a photographer over there who gets 90% of there business from funerals, personally i dont think its a route i would be able to do and dont really see the point. But i guess as mentioned above, alot of distant family come to funerals and it may be more about getting people closer after death than the actual funeral.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
13 Nov 2010 - 10:11 AM

Quote: Nothing wrong with this idea,

I wasn't suggesting that there was.

I just thought it curious and not something that I had heard of previously. I wasn't aware they did it in the US (but I'm not surprised).

However it obviously depends on the outlook of the grieving relatives/kin. Some may be very reluctant to be photographed whilst crying etc.

Thinking about it, many years ago (BD Ė Before Digital!!), I was visiting my motherís grave in Scotland and had taken some shots of the grave and headstone to send to relatives in Australia. Because it was a pretty dark afternoon I used flash. I was walking back to the car when I was approached by an elderly couple who I thought were going to tell me off for using flash. However, the lady very politely asked if I would take some shots of a grave and headstone for the same reason i.e to send to relatives.
It transpired that it was her son-in-lawís grave and he had died of cancer and had been buried the previous week. I later sent a few prints and the negs to her (and no I didnít charge!). On that basis there may be a market for grave/headstone photography.

Well, as far as Iím concerned, they can do what they like at my funeral (some people I know may dance on my grave - that would make a good pic) Smile

JamesGarfield
13 Nov 2010 - 10:29 AM

At first i wasn't sure what to think, it almost seems distasteful but I guess if you're hired to do the job then work is work.

gaelldew
gaelldew  7267 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Nov 2010 - 11:49 AM

Quote: I think I'll put it in my will that my funeral should be photographed !!. Damian

Yeh but what if they dont read the will till after the funeral.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014728 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2010 - 12:01 PM

hmmm - sounds like a business opportunity....

lets google some funeral directors!

bigalguitarpicker
13 Nov 2010 - 11:23 PM

Funeral photography is something I've wondered about occasionally, but I've not (yet) chased it up. There are two or three providers of horse drawn hearses in my area who I might contact. There have been a few posts on this subject in other forums and the general opinion seems to be one of horror that anyone could contemplate offering such a service. I think we're a bit more open to the idea here in Ireland, both North and South. I was told by a few work colleagues from Latvia and Lithuania that funeral photography is common in their countries.

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2010 - 9:08 AM

Quote: Funeral photography is something I've wondered about occasionally

It's a grave business. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.