Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Future proofing - have I cracked my problem.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
MGJ
MGJ  596 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2013 - 3:57 PM

Problem is very simple - I'm not keen on being invited to pay an arm and a leg to use PS CC, having recently bought a genuine copy of CS5. (though I will probably buy CS6 in due course - for 360 I can get a digital download, and that seems reasonable for a program that will have to last me out- 20 odd years!)

So if I buy a new camera in some years time, it seems to me I can use the manufacturers software to convert RAW to a 16bit TIFF. If I use, in Canonspeak, the faithful profile, it doesn't make any adjustments, only alters the format. Then I can open that TIFF in any version of ACR, or in PS as a smart object. It doesn't then matter if I have a camera that is not supported by my CS5/6, I can still import pics through camera RAW. ie I simply use a TIFF as my RAW. I don't particularly want to use DNGs because later versions of the DNG won't talk to earlier ACRs, so there is an inherent lack of futureproofing in that route. Or so I believe?

I understand that by refusing to go to CC, I don't get all the future advantages, but I think Adobe are rather struggling to find enough advantages anyway - there is not a lot you cannot do to a photo in 5/6, and if it does become a problem in the future, I imagine I can still choose to use CC. I don't want access to Illustrator etc etc etc.

One could go to Elements, but critically for quality, there is no 16 bit support in Elements.

So it looks as if the problem is solved, or perhaps someone can see a weakness - I hope not, but open to suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Nov 2013 - 3:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2013 - 4:11 PM

I`m now tempted to go over to the new cloud PS, there doing a deal for about 9 a month both for both CS and lightroom and since I only ever upgrade PS every 4 or 5 years anyway and use LR that is well out of date, I figure it is no more expensive than going out buying the software on DVD`s.

Jestertheclown
24 Nov 2013 - 4:42 PM

As a veteran of CS2, CS5, CS6 and (the trial version of) CC, I'd say MGJ could well have the answer.
I didn't see a lot in CS6 that CS5 couldn't do with some persuasion and similarly, CC's no huge leap forward over CS6.
So if you've got, or are considering getting, CS6 (if you're getting it via a download, be sure to save the downloaded files somewhere; you're going to need them again one day), then that might well be all you'll ever need.
Lightroom 5's currently about ninety five quid on Amazon, less if you know how to get the student version, which is only about nine and a half months worth of CC.
Presumably, at some point, there will be a Lightroom 6 but I'm not sure how much farther existing versions can be improved upon and it could well be available as a 'cloud only' product.

Bren.

MGJ
24 Nov 2013 - 4:54 PM

Does Lightroom have in essence a full version of Camera RAW built in? The latest one is I think V8.2?

I think also that though there are disks still available, soon CS6 - which on the Adobe website is said to be available indefinitely, though without any more updates - will only be delivered by download

Last Modified By MGJ at 24 Nov 2013 - 5:06 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2013 - 5:00 PM

Your right Lightroom and Camera Raw are the same engine.

Jestertheclown
24 Nov 2013 - 5:09 PM

Quote: I will probably buy CS6 in due course

I wouldn't take too long for 'due' to run its 'course.'

Copies of CS6 are becoming a bit thin on the ground.

Downloads are still available but finding them isn't as easy as it used to be and I'm not sure how much longer you'll be able to find boxed copies.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2013 - 5:53 PM

Quote: I didn't see a lot in CS6 that CS5 couldn't do with some persuasion and similarly, CC's no huge leap forward over CS6

Maybe not, but it is quiet a leap from CS3, I see little point in upgrading to a newer boxed version, for me going CC will be no dearer and it will always be up to date.

MGJ
24 Nov 2013 - 6:26 PM

The problem for me is that they haven't guaranteed this cheap deal forever. I do take your point in the shorter term, and for me CS6/ACR8 will cope with what I want to do photographically, and the new 70D I want.

Longer term? Thats a matter of opinion either way perhaps.

Paul Morgan
24 Nov 2013 - 7:19 PM

Once they have you there not going to want you leaving, so I can`t see prices risings all that much once your 12 months are up.

Jestertheclown
24 Nov 2013 - 7:25 PM

Perhaps so Paul but bear in mind that, at the moment, while CS6 is still available, there's an option to using CC.
In twelve months time, you won't have that choice.
Adobe are, I'm sure, very aware of that and where there's money involved, they won't have your best interests at heart.

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2013 - 7:27 PM

Quote: Once they have you there not going to want you leaving, so I can`t see prices risings all that much once your 12 months are up.

That's not what it says in the small print. At the end of the 12 months you're back to paying full price for both LR and CS6.

Paul Morgan
24 Nov 2013 - 7:48 PM

This is what they say, it says nothing about paying the full price for both LR and CS, they simply state, at the current price of the offering.

They call it the Photoshop Photography Program, so the current price could go up a little.

Renewal
After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 24 Nov 2013 - 7:51 PM
Jestertheclown
24 Nov 2013 - 8:01 PM

Quote: we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering.

That's a very ambiguous, non-specific statement and one which I'd expect from a corporation like Adobe.

Are they referring to the artificially lowered price that you'll be currently paying or do they mean the real price that everyone else will be currently paying?

Paul Morgan
24 Nov 2013 - 8:02 PM

No its real, its not just a 12 month offer, so after 12 months the price will remain the same.

http://terrywhite.com/photoshop-photographers-deal-open-everyone-blackfriday/
https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom

Over a 5 year period I could easily spend 6 or 700 on software, I have nothing to loose.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 24 Nov 2013 - 8:06 PM
Jestertheclown
24 Nov 2013 - 8:06 PM

In that case and if you trust Adobe not to turn you over (?) then I guess it's a question of taking whichever course you think will suit you best.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.