Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

G15 or G1X

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JeffreyW
    JeffreyW  8 United Kingdom
    26 Mar 2013 - 10:43 AM

I am considering a new camera.
    Which should I go for, the G15 or GX1, both by Canon.
    I want excellent image quality.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Mar 2013 - 10:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett
    ikett  3329 forum posts England
    26 Mar 2013 - 11:27 AM

Good review of the G15 here.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 11:53 AM

G1x [the GX1 is a Panasonic m4/3 camera - also very good] will completely blow the G15 away for IQ - especially at higher ISOs. The sensor is much larger meaning not only much better performance at higher sensitivities, but greater colour depth too.

The G15 does have a faster lens and a slightly longer zoom range. I don't know how important those things are to you, but the gains from aperture and longer equivalent AoV will not allow you anything like the same control on depth of field, make up for the poorer sensitivity or give you much more effective reach as the greater resolution of the G1x means you could crop to make up some of the difference and get more detail anyway.

There's a side by side comparison here.

cuffit
    cuffit  7165 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 12:08 PM

I bought the G15 recently; my G5 was showing its age but still pretty good; however, it was never a camera you could put in your pocket. I saw both Canons at the recent NEC show and primarily went to look at the Fuji range which, are all the rage - and Pansonics don't disappoint either if you are casting your net wider at some point. I hope to travel a fair bit to some European capitals and London (I am resident in UK) and the main criteria was that it had to fit into a pocket. I have noticed the increase in pickpocketing in cities, in fact it is almost visible in some and I am not sure that, despite best efforts of the police, that they can deal with it all. I also have SLR kit so didn't want to buy into extra lenses for a compact and I decided on the day that I didn't want to spend the same money on a compact as an SLR despite the excellence of the kit on show.

I understand that the G1X is better in low light and certain other areas, but wi-fi or GPS is not important to me and the G1X is the size of my G5 and not quite as comfortable in the hand, so I would handle both if you can before you buy. The absence of the LCD rotateable viewing is a negative on occasion but, to be honest, the trade off of a thinner camera is a better advantage on this occasion to me and the pictures I want to take. The pictures from the G15 are excellent in my view and pin sharp with the lens giving good blurring when you want it. The viewfinder is not as good as competitors (by a long way in some respects) but when I have used it the general pictures are equally as good so I don't see it as a problem, but I don't intend to use it for macro or anything really detailed. where the rear LCD would not suffice.

One thing that does niggle is that you no longer get a handbook and I find them useful when getting used to the camera (not that I wouldn't buy it because of that). If you area Canon owner already then the menus will be familiar to you on both but I have found it difficult to remember the different settings but practice will sort that out and I have printed the pages I need so I don't have to mess about with the laptop everytime I want to learn something new, rather than quickly flick to a page of a pocket book - it seems to be the way that things are going.

I received a Canon cashback for mine and I have seen the G15 at about 300 (UK company) rather than the more common price of 399 less 30 cashback - the cashback should apply to the 300 so it would be a really good buy for that price. My wife has the Panasonic T30 and my daughter the T20-something and they are both excellent compacts as well.

I hope this is helpful and if I can find the company selling for 300 I will send you a link - or PM me and I will reply in a day or so as I am away for a few days.

Chris

joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    26 Mar 2013 - 4:55 PM

Hi, we've reviewed both, and you can compare similar shots from each here:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-powershot-g1-x-review-18568
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-powershot-g15-review-20704

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 5:09 PM

Looks like the G15 shades it overall..... 4.5 stars compared with 4 for the G1X.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 7:44 PM

Quote: Looks like the G15 shades it overall..... 4.5 stars compared with 4 for the G1X.

Josh may confirm this, but I imagine the scoring is relative to the class of camera and doesn't represent a 'better' camera, in absolute terms (if there is any such thing). There's always a necessary subjective element anyway - what's 'best' for one person may not suit another at all.

The OP mentioned image quality and I wouldn't imagine the G15 could compete in most tests.

iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4209 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 8:32 PM

I had a Canon G1X and my wife has had a Canon G12 for two or three years. i bought the G1X as I thought it would be better the the G!2 which in some ways it is. I was disappointed with the G1x especially the dynamic range, it seemed to burn highlights too easily. I did have some good A4 sized prints, the lens seemed fine. I know you'r thinking of a G15 not G12 but I've always felt it was a cracking camera with outstanding results, varie screen and view finder.
    I replaced the G1X with a Fuji XE-1 which is just excellent, better results than all the mid range DSLR's and so easy to control. Needs a big pocket!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 8:57 PM

Quote: I want excellent image quality

Its all about getting the right balance, what else is high on the list apart from image quality.

Pretty much any high end compact can easily manage printing up to A4 or A3 these days.

cuffit
    cuffit  7165 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2013 - 11:58 AM

Jeffrey, having asked the questions were the answers any use to you? Chris

JeffreyW
    JeffreyW  8 United Kingdom
    5 Apr 2013 - 10:57 PM

The answers were helpful, I think I may go for the G1X, BUT MAY WAIT TO SEE IF A MARK 2 is released

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2013 - 2:19 AM

Are you wearing blinkers Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.