Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

G7 or S5 IS? Or neither?!

sooty86 7 3
4 Oct 2007 7:14PM
Hi, new user here
I've been searching for a high end compact for ages now and after reading countless reviews, I went into a shop on the high street where the assistant immediately recommended two Canon models, the G7 and the S5 IS. He was particularly keen on the S5 IS and wasted no time in showing me all its features. Both of these have reveived good reviews in most places I've looked, and I am struggling to decide between the two! Any thoughts/suggestions? Or do people feel there are better similarly priced alternatives?

Cheers,
Pete

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
4 Oct 2007 7:33PM
There both pretty ok also have a look at the one bellow or the latest addition or even the G9.

here
PR 7 181 England
4 Oct 2007 7:43PM
I have got the S3 IS and its a great camera, so I would imagine the S5 with its 8 megapixels is going to be aswell.
Cheers
Phil
da_nige 10 1.2k Scotland
4 Oct 2007 7:46PM
The S5 is nice. My mum neded a new compact and I managed to persuade her to get the S5. I now get to play with it. It seems to be OK. Only negatives for me are a bit of CA at the long end of the zoom and also a bit of noise above ISO 200 but then I'm used to a 1D2n and L lenses so I may just be spoiled. I'd still recommend the S5 though

Neil
4 Oct 2007 8:04PM
find smallest dslr and add 28mm or 50mm prime lens better and not much more expensive was recently on camera buying trail getting 40d body and was looking for good compact with optical vf and raw capability to go with it and that was a dead loss at end up got powershot 720is thing like canon g series seem overpriced when you look at price of entry level dslrs
4 Oct 2007 8:16PM
just a ps just as an example seen g9 and 350d on same trip 350d was cheaper you could even look for cheap 35mm slr
amos_cmos 9 22 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2007 9:12PM
I bought a G7 and am happy with the results. It doesn't have RAW on it, but that was the reason for buying. If I want RAW I use the 30D, if I want something quick and easy with minimal editing (basically snapshots) I use the G7. Loads of features on it which I haven't tried yet but I'm impressed and it doesn't give me armache like the 30D / telephoto.
james adams 11 20
5 Oct 2007 12:15AM
Have you considered the panasonic LX-2 or the Ricoh GX-100? Both are RAW capable and image stabilised with very high quality, sharp wide angle lenses- with next to no chromatic aberration. I have direct experience of both cameras and they are capable of good image quality as well as being fast and responsive (for a Compact). They are both of a size which makes them pocketable, but the down side is that they do not have the extreme telephoto capabilities of other cameras but the lens quality leaves those other cameras standing. just some fuel for thought, depends obviously on what you need the camera for.
sooty86 7 3
5 Oct 2007 8:06AM
Thanks for the response everyone - some really good advice.
Paul - I have looked at the Olympus Super Zoom and was quite keen at one point, although quite a few reports of noisy images and problems with the autofocus put me off slightly.
James - have looked at the Ricoh and really like it, as you said it's a balancing act between the quality of the lens and the telephoto capabilities. Not looked at the LX-2 yet so will check that out.
Not sure that I want to go down the DSLR route just yet.
Guess I'll just keep on looking!
guidoa 13 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Oct 2007 10:07AM
As regards the LX-2,all Panas heem to have a noise problem at over ISO 100, I certainly find it with the LX-1, wonderful in good light with strong colours at -2/3EV but disappointing in poor light and with flash- thats my experience for what its worth.
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
5 Oct 2007 10:31AM

Quote:As regards the LX-2,all Panas heem to have a noise problem at over ISO 100

That's been exactly my experience of the LX2. It's a great little camera, when used within its limitations, and it's capable of some amazing results but in poor light - forget it.
sooty86 7 3
6 Oct 2007 8:01PM
Ok guys well I've finally (almost) made my mind up and gone for the G7 - on the grounds that it is more convenient in terms of size than the S5 and from what other people have told me, I'll get better results with the G7 considering what I'll be using it for. Just to throw a spanner in the works though - would it be worth spending a few more pounds and getting the G9?! Bearing in mind I'm unlikely to use RAW mode.

Thanks, Pete
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
6 Oct 2007 8:53PM

Quote:would it be worth spending a few more pounds and getting the G9

It all depends on you and what you really want. If you can find a little more cash and can afford the G9 then why not just get an entry level dslr.

Thats coming from some one buying a Canon prosumer costing about the same as a 20D Smile

If the size is an issue, take a look at the E400/E410 both can be picked up for about the price of the G9 and there the smallest/lightest dslrs on the market.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.