Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

G7 or S5 IS? Or neither?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sooty86
    sooty86  6
    4 Oct 2007 - 7:14 PM

Hi, new user here
    I've been searching for a high end compact for ages now and after reading countless reviews, I went into a shop on the high street where the assistant immediately recommended two Canon models, the G7 and the S5 IS. He was particularly keen on the S5 IS and wasted no time in showing me all its features. Both of these have reveived good reviews in most places I've looked, and I am struggling to decide between the two! Any thoughts/suggestions? Or do people feel there are better similarly priced alternatives?

Cheers,
    Pete

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Oct 2007 - 7:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Oct 2007 - 7:33 PM

There both pretty ok also have a look at the one bellow or the latest addition or even the G9.

here

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 4 Oct 2007 - 7:36 PM
    PR
    PR  6181 forum posts England
    4 Oct 2007 - 7:43 PM

I have got the S3 IS and its a great camera, so I would imagine the S5 with its 8 megapixels is going to be aswell.
    Cheers
    Phil

da_nige
    da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
    4 Oct 2007 - 7:46 PM

The S5 is nice. My mum neded a new compact and I managed to persuade her to get the S5. I now get to play with it. It seems to be OK. Only negatives for me are a bit of CA at the long end of the zoom and also a bit of noise above ISO 200 but then I'm used to a 1D2n and L lenses so I may just be spoiled. I'd still recommend the S5 though

Neil

youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 11987 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    4 Oct 2007 - 8:04 PM

find smallest dslr and add 28mm or 50mm prime lens better and not much more expensive was recently on camera buying trail getting 40d body and was looking for good compact with optical vf and raw capability to go with it and that was a dead loss at end up got powershot 720is thing like canon g series seem overpriced when you look at price of entry level dslrs

youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 11987 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    4 Oct 2007 - 8:16 PM

just a ps just as an example seen g9 and 350d on same trip 350d was cheaper you could even look for cheap 35mm slr

Last Modified By youmightlikethis at 4 Oct 2007 - 8:21 PM
    amos_cmos
    amos_cmos  8 United Kingdom
    4 Oct 2007 - 9:12 PM

I bought a G7 and am happy with the results. It doesn't have RAW on it, but that was the reason for buying. If I want RAW I use the 30D, if I want something quick and easy with minimal editing (basically snapshots) I use the G7. Loads of features on it which I haven't tried yet but I'm impressed and it doesn't give me armache like the 30D / telephoto.

james adams
    5 Oct 2007 - 12:15 AM

Have you considered the panasonic LX-2 or the Ricoh GX-100? Both are RAW capable and image stabilised with very high quality, sharp wide angle lenses- with next to no chromatic aberration. I have direct experience of both cameras and they are capable of good image quality as well as being fast and responsive (for a Compact). They are both of a size which makes them pocketable, but the down side is that they do not have the extreme telephoto capabilities of other cameras but the lens quality leaves those other cameras standing. just some fuel for thought, depends obviously on what you need the camera for.

sooty86
    sooty86  6
    5 Oct 2007 - 8:06 AM

Thanks for the response everyone - some really good advice.
    Paul - I have looked at the Olympus Super Zoom and was quite keen at one point, although quite a few reports of noisy images and problems with the autofocus put me off slightly.
    James - have looked at the Ricoh and really like it, as you said it's a balancing act between the quality of the lens and the telephoto capabilities. Not looked at the LX-2 yet so will check that out.
    Not sure that I want to go down the DSLR route just yet.
    Guess I'll just keep on looking!

guidoa
    guidoa  121309 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Oct 2007 - 10:07 AM

As regards the LX-2,all Panas heem to have a noise problem at over ISO 100, I certainly find it with the LX-1, wonderful in good light with strong colours at -2/3EV but disappointing in poor light and with flash- thats my experience for what its worth.

Last Modified By guidoa at 5 Oct 2007 - 10:08 AM
    joolsb
    joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Oct 2007 - 10:31 AM

Quote: As regards the LX-2,all Panas heem to have a noise problem at over ISO 100

That's been exactly my experience of the LX2. It's a great little camera, when used within its limitations, and it's capable of some amazing results but in poor light - forget it.

Last Modified By joolsb at 5 Oct 2007 - 10:33 AM
    sooty86
    sooty86  6
    6 Oct 2007 - 8:01 PM

Ok guys well I've finally (almost) made my mind up and gone for the G7 - on the grounds that it is more convenient in terms of size than the S5 and from what other people have told me, I'll get better results with the G7 considering what I'll be using it for. Just to throw a spanner in the works though - would it be worth spending a few more pounds and getting the G9?! Bearing in mind I'm unlikely to use RAW mode.

Thanks, Pete

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2007 - 8:53 PM

Quote: would it be worth spending a few more pounds and getting the G9

It all depends on you and what you really want. If you can find a little more cash and can afford the G9 then why not just get an entry level dslr.

Thats coming from some one buying a Canon prosumer costing about the same as a 20D Smile

If the size is an issue, take a look at the E400/E410 both can be picked up for about the price of the G9 and there the smallest/lightest dslrs on the market.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.