Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gallery images: colour management?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    21 Oct 2005 - 1:08 AM

I've noticed that my images look different when viewed in Photoshop and when uploaded to the forum. I twice tried uploading an image today and the image was too dark and looked awful with dead colours. I attached Nikon Adobe RGB, and Adobe RGB profiles. What is going on? I am using a calibrated monitor with colour management turned off in PS. When I view graduated grey strips, I can see all the shades, so my monitor should be fine.

Leif

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Oct 2005 - 1:08 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2005 - 1:10 AM

You need to convert your images to sRGB mode and make sure they look okay before saving them for web. That is the mode which is usde by browsers.

Ian

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012548 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2005 - 1:14 AM

Thismight help.

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    26 Oct 2005 - 9:32 AM

Ian/AOAP

Many thanks.

Leif

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    1 Jan 2006 - 12:27 AM

Well I've followed the advice here and elsewhere and still cannot get an image viewed in a browser to look like one viewed in Photoshop 6. I open an image in Photoshop, convert the image to sRGB, and then save it. Then I view the saved image in a browser and in PS and ... in the browser the image looks noticeably flatter.

FWIW I use a calibrated monitor with a profile loaded using the Spyder wotsit. (Hence when I look at a graduated black to white scale, I can see all of the separate blocks.) I use PS 6 with all colour management turned off.

Curiously not only does the image viewed in a browser not look the same - less saturated - but it also looks noticeably softer. It's as if the sharpening has been turned off.

Leif

mlewis
    mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Jan 2006 - 3:12 AM

Leif, try soft proofing for monitor RGB in PS. I do this to see what pictures will look like in web browsers. Sharpness shouldlook the same in whatever program the image is viewed so that is a strange problem.

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    1 Jan 2006 - 3:46 AM

Sorry! What is 'soft proofing for monitor RGB'. Thanks.

Sharpness can change because it is to do with creating contrast at boundaries, and if you change the contrast, you will change the perceived sharpness. That is my take on what is happening. As to why ...

Leif

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.