Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Gallery images: colour management?

Leif 10 722
21 Oct 2005 1:08AM
I've noticed that my images look different when viewed in Photoshop and when uploaded to the forum. I twice tried uploading an image today and the image was too dark and looked awful with dead colours. I attached Nikon Adobe RGB, and Adobe RGB profiles. What is going on? I am using a calibrated monitor with colour management turned off in PS. When I view graduated grey strips, I can see all the shades, so my monitor should be fine.

Leif

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 12 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2005 1:10AM
You need to convert your images to sRGB mode and make sure they look okay before saving them for web. That is the mode which is usde by browsers.

Ian
21 Oct 2005 1:14AM
This might help.
Leif 10 722
26 Oct 2005 9:32AM
Ian/AOAP

Many thanks.

Leif
Leif 10 722
1 Jan 2006 12:27AM
Well I've followed the advice here and elsewhere and still cannot get an image viewed in a browser to look like one viewed in Photoshop 6. I open an image in Photoshop, convert the image to sRGB, and then save it. Then I view the saved image in a browser and in PS and ... in the browser the image looks noticeably flatter.

FWIW I use a calibrated monitor with a profile loaded using the Spyder wotsit. (Hence when I look at a graduated black to white scale, I can see all of the separate blocks.) I use PS 6 with all colour management turned off.

Curiously not only does the image viewed in a browser not look the same - less saturated - but it also looks noticeably softer. It's as if the sharpening has been turned off.

Leif
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
1 Jan 2006 3:12AM
Leif, try soft proofing for monitor RGB in PS. I do this to see what pictures will look like in web browsers. Sharpness shouldlook the same in whatever program the image is viewed so that is a strange problem.
Leif 10 722
1 Jan 2006 3:46AM
Sorry! What is 'soft proofing for monitor RGB'. Thanks.

Sharpness can change because it is to do with creating contrast at boundaries, and if you change the contrast, you will change the perceived sharpness. That is my take on what is happening. As to why ...

Leif

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.