Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more
Can't Access your Account?
New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
I do not know if this has been asked before but why can't we see who has awarded what marks in the gallery of excellence?
I uploaded a Greenfinch image last night and it was awarded a 3. Now while it may not be the best Greenfinch shot ever no way did it deserve that mark.
I feel that if we could see who gave the award it might deter people from giving unjust marks, and stop us from trying to second guess who might have done it.
Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.
(Head hits desk)
I'm not going back to the..ahem...Gallery of Excellence..until they get with the site and have clicks n stuff.
Barry I have just recently been wondering the same thing myself. Been there, had the low mark for a good image - went from about 7 to 4 in a day. Work that one out! Sounds like a 1 to me ...
I actually wrote more, but I've rather lost interest just recently.
that happened to me too Barry - just asked the team to take a look at it. seemed it was someone having a bit of fun with the site. no activity except lots of low marks in the GOE.
it's going to happen cause there's bored people out there!
if we could see who's voted and their scores, it would start world war 3
It was me.....or was it.....
Quote: In principle the Gallery of Excellence is a good idea - in practice it's lots its potential with hundreds of minor challenges languishing in the back rooms. Maybe it needs to be a weekly thing, themed. Made more public. Just an idea.
For it to work, they should follow a model similar to dpchallenge I reckon.
Just that with the challenges being "so" open that you can rule out anyone else on the planet being able to ever get a shot to challenge yours, I've probably only seen about 10% and have no intention of looking at most the other 90%.
Then again, that's a freedom no other site seems to offer... a good thing then?
Thanks for the replies so far.
World war 3 sound like a good idea
I was probably sore when I posted but it takes the fun out of competing when that happens.
I had tried hard for most of the day to ignore it but lost.
You can send a report to the team, same as with any other area of the site, if you suspect foul play and it will be investigated.
I dont even bother.
the system is flawed.
Ahem, Gallery of what?
Maybe a little note of 'current issues' would be nice, to let other people know that there are problems being sorted out. It might stop loads of people contacting epz about something if it's flagged up by one of the team. And it might explain things to us a little sooner.
Barry I'm glad you posted. It got the answer out into the open finally.
My concern when I brought this up before was in response to another poster, who suggested that low marks being targeted at someone signified 'disapproval' of another member. My feelings were that 'disapproval' was a mite tame. If this stuff is happening across the board then that changes things, although it still leaves a couple of question marks over the thread - and my post - being reported.
I thought of reporting it.
Then thought that might be taken has sour grapes on my part, so I posted here instead.
I could put it down to taste, ,not everyone likes bird images but if that was the case why look in a gallery marked "The Best Greenfinch"
If the gallery holds true to form then the image will pick up in time.
The problem with this is the gallery seems to have slowed down a good deal so it could take a fair while for that to happen.
Quote: Then thought that might be taken has sour grapes on my part, so I posted here instead.
That's what stopped me too, when I found it. But like you I felt it appropriate to bring it up for discussion - else how do we flag up problems like this so that other people will know about them.
It has been brought up before and led to a few members being banned, as a result of unfair voting, as a result.
The gallery is regularly visited by moderators, as with other parts of the site, to check for errors and such but the GoE has become such a widely used part of the site that it is time consuming to to do this so it would be very widely appreciated that if anyone spots anything that they suspect as abuse to report it to the team via the current system.
ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.
You must be a member to leave a comment
Get the latest photography news straight from ePHOTOzine in your email every month and win prizes!
1st April 2014 - 30th April 2014
18th April 2014 - 25th April 2014
Check out ePHOTOzine's inspirational photo month calendar! Each day click on a window to unveil new photography tips, treats and techniques.
View April's Photo Month Calendar