Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Gallery of Howlers

ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
31 Jan 2010 12:27PM
I am sure this has been suggested before and no doubt there are excellent reasons for not having something like a 'hall of shame' or 'gallery of howlers'.

But I have always believed that you learn far more from mistakes than you ever do from the successes. So with this in mind I wonder if there just might be an appetite for a sort of 'here's one I ruined earlier' gallery - maybe uploaded in the usual way but with bk notes on why it was such a disaster and what went wrong etc etc.

Any votes accruing to posted images in the hall of shame would of course not relate to how good the image was but how helpful and 'phew there but for the grace of god go I' sort of recognition.

Maybe too the upload would not count against the daily allowance - just to encourage us to use it.

I suspect the purists will not like this - we all seek excellence I guess, so why dare to suggest an upload rubbish section. But maybe we could all learn something from others mistakes and errors???

Cheers

Robert

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
31 Jan 2010 12:30PM
No reason why you can't do that with your daily allowance to the normal gallery, with description explaining it.
ketch e2
31 Jan 2010 12:47PM
Well thats what I normally do with most of my uploads anyway - I think they all have flaws and I normally own up to them.

I guess the idea was to have some real howlers in one place - where you can easily trawl picking up tips and ideas on what not to do on the way.

The other thing is that some people won't want rubbish appearing in their PF's - which was also behind the suggestion for such uploads to not be counted as a normal daily upload.

Cheers

Robert
Hanners e2
8 875 10 Ireland
31 Jan 2010 2:43PM
I thimk that there could be something in this, but off the top of my head I can't see how it will work because as you say most people wont want a howler in their pf. Perhaps an additional catorgory in the variants along with the before/after etc we could have a ****-up/how it should've come out section and people could explain how they learned from their mistake(s) and re took the shot, although that probably wont work either, just thinking aloud really, maybe somebody else might have a better idea. I like the thought behind this though Smile
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
31 Jan 2010 2:45PM
The simplest way I can think of would be to create a challenge and ask people to submit their 'howlers' there. All the pictures would be in the one place, you don't lose your daily upload and they won't appear in your portfolio.
Hanners e2
8 875 10 Ireland
31 Jan 2010 2:48PM
yep, I could see it working there, good idea Boyd Smile
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
31 Jan 2010 3:02PM
Yep!
I agree with you Boyd. I think this is a great idea. I'm sure we've all got (more than) a few candidates for it!
Jester.
ketch e2
31 Jan 2010 5:47PM
Well that's a pretty cool idea - hell I have loads of candidates (although I do tend to delete fairly quickly - now maybe there could be a reason for keeping some of the worst!!).

Boyd - your idea just gets better the more I think about it - the whole point of the challenges is of course to set a better standard than the previous upload - so would the converse be the case I wonder?

So its a sort of hybrid between a special interest group and a challenge - a sort of 'especially challenged' section.

Right if we get five more expressions of interest I will give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers

Robert
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
31 Jan 2010 7:12PM

Quote:Right if we get five more expressions of interest I will give it a go and see what happens.

Just do it, set it up and I will make it active. For more people visit the galleries, very few come and visit forum threads.
Mari e2
11 1.8k Wales
31 Jan 2010 7:27PM
Great idea, i've plenty to upload LOL

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.