Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gallery of Howlers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ketch
    ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2010 - 12:27 PM

I am sure this has been suggested before and no doubt there are excellent reasons for not having something like a 'hall of shame' or 'gallery of howlers'.

But I have always believed that you learn far more from mistakes than you ever do from the successes. So with this in mind I wonder if there just might be an appetite for a sort of 'here's one I ruined earlier' gallery - maybe uploaded in the usual way but with bk notes on why it was such a disaster and what went wrong etc etc.

Any votes accruing to posted images in the hall of shame would of course not relate to how good the image was but how helpful and 'phew there but for the grace of god go I' sort of recognition.

Maybe too the upload would not count against the daily allowance - just to encourage us to use it.

I suspect the purists will not like this - we all seek excellence I guess, so why dare to suggest an upload rubbish section. But maybe we could all learn something from others mistakes and errors???

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Jan 2010 - 12:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2010 - 12:30 PM

No reason why you can't do that with your daily allowance to the normal gallery, with description explaining it.

ketch
    ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2010 - 12:47 PM

Well thats what I normally do with most of my uploads anyway - I think they all have flaws and I normally own up to them.

I guess the idea was to have some real howlers in one place - where you can easily trawl picking up tips and ideas on what not to do on the way.

The other thing is that some people won't want rubbish appearing in their PF's - which was also behind the suggestion for such uploads to not be counted as a normal daily upload.

Cheers

Robert

Last Modified By ketch at 31 Jan 2010 - 12:48 PM
    Hanners
    Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2010 - 2:43 PM

I thimk that there could be something in this, but off the top of my head I can't see how it will work because as you say most people wont want a howler in their pf. Perhaps an additional catorgory in the variants along with the before/after etc we could have a ****-up/how it should've come out section and people could explain how they learned from their mistake(s) and re took the shot, although that probably wont work either, just thinking aloud really, maybe somebody else might have a better idea. I like the thought behind this though Smile

Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2010 - 2:45 PM

The simplest way I can think of would be to create a challenge and ask people to submit their 'howlers' there. All the pictures would be in the one place, you don't lose your daily upload and they won't appear in your portfolio.

Hanners
    Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2010 - 2:48 PM

yep, I could see it working there, good idea Boyd Smile

Jestertheclown
    31 Jan 2010 - 3:02 PM

Yep!
    I agree with you Boyd. I think this is a great idea. I'm sure we've all got (more than) a few candidates for it!
    Jester.

ketch
    31 Jan 2010 - 5:47 PM

Well that's a pretty cool idea - hell I have loads of candidates (although I do tend to delete fairly quickly - now maybe there could be a reason for keeping some of the worst!!).

Boyd - your idea just gets better the more I think about it - the whole point of the challenges is of course to set a better standard than the previous upload - so would the converse be the case I wonder?

So its a sort of hybrid between a special interest group and a challenge - a sort of 'especially challenged' section.

Right if we get five more expressions of interest I will give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers

Robert

Last Modified By ketch at 31 Jan 2010 - 5:47 PM
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2010 - 7:12 PM

Quote: Right if we get five more expressions of interest I will give it a go and see what happens.

Just do it, set it up and I will make it active. For more people visit the galleries, very few come and visit forum threads.

Mari
    Mari  101825 forum posts Wales
    31 Jan 2010 - 7:27 PM

Great idea, i've plenty to upload LOL

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.