Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gallery Suggestions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

TanyaH
TanyaH e2 Member 11524 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 5:02 PM

Following on from Quoise's comment above about the style of the gallery on fotoblur, I also like the way they show images in their gallery. It's clean and uncluttered and makes viewing the preview a lot better - then it's the choice of the viewer to open it up large or not.

I also really like 1X's style of layout - it's slick and professional, and the blackness really gives a very good background for viewing images on.

But, both of these websites don't necessarily have the plethora of other information that EPZ has so I don't know how that would work in the long run. But I do think that the gallery here needs changing .... as it currently stands, is good - but it's not great. It doesn't give that 'Wow' factor when first looking at it.

I think it was in the other thread about the e2 membership where here4years said that EPZ is trying to be all things to all photographers ... there's so much information, it's almost overwhelming at times.

Given the amount of images that get uploaded on a daily basis to our gallery, yes it may mean that larger thumbnails as a standard feature may push people's images down off the 'page' ... but I for one don't mind clicking on 1, 2, 3, 4, etc to view the other pages.

It may also be that we can't have a completely clutter-free gallery without the advertising and marking bumf that's currently there - I don't know what the arrangements are in that sense, and it's none of my business anyway Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jul 2014 - 5:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 5:41 PM

One simple thing you can improve on is the size of images when you open them. 600p/x is dire, even 1000p/x is not that good. When they are on either Lightroom or Photoshop, they look totally different.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104022 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 6:14 PM

1. Would like the ability to slide the gallery images left/right on my tablet.
2. Find some way to reduce the need to scroll up and down to read comments/vote etc. E.g. hold the image at the top of the screen but allow scrolling be low

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 823 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
30 Jul 2014 - 7:07 PM

4k TV sets (and monitors) are here now, tablets and even smartphones keep upping the pixel count.

For many we're getting to the point where it's possible to see every single pixel that your camera captured in one go on one screen at 100% magnification.

It would be fantastic to have the option of seeing members' photos in that level of detail, my sister (honestly!) has a Facebook app on her SmartTV which lets her fill the screen with her friend's images, they look stunning. Being able to swipe them, arrow keys or remote control wand is a must.

Here's a radical opinion splitting suggestion
When people are swiping photos like that, or view them in a slideshow you can have one slide, every so often, but not too often that is an advert. A nice advert, the kind we'd see in a camera magazine, something which itself is photographic. It would be less offensive than other clutter and perhaps e2 members could be allowed to turn them off.

Last Modified By Chris_L at 30 Jul 2014 - 7:11 PM
dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101474 forum postsdark_lord vcard England128 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 8:34 PM

I used to browse other sites but much less so now, more of a time thing.
However, reading the above comments has prompted a few ideas.

I've always hated the limited tags used here. I know we can suggest others, but there is such a variation including spelling mistakes. So a more comprehensive list for consistency with the option to add other tags, e.g. a location name.
Larger thumbnails, this would definitely help.
Easier/faster scrolling through sounds useful, though I open each image I want to look at in a new tab rather than going into an image than back to the gallery. Larger thumbnails will just help me decide if i really want to look, as there are times when I feel I've wasted time looking as the full image is a disappointment.

Search facility would be good but I see little benefit personally as the image is created by the photographer, not the machine, and we're only looking at 1000 px images max. Not saying don't have it as a feature.
Larger images are good but not everyone uses a large screen. Yes you could zoom in/out but that's a faff.

Having the ability to scroll through the galleries just by hovering over and scolling, click and drag or swiping would be neat.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012603 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 8:51 PM

the large square with less clutter is a popular and current choice for a lot of websites, maybe its time for something more radical Wink having looked at fotoblur I gave up waiting for the large version to load - is it always that slow?! I find 1x text underneath the photos way to intrusive but the black background does make them stand out.

I think the square option was proposed here a while ago, it got alot of complaints... Grin

Chris_L
31 Jul 2014 - 4:37 PM

Awards for photos in the gallery drive people mad because mediocre shots win awards and great shots are overlooked.

You need expert judges, compare the BAFTAs to the TV Choice Awards.

Change it so people can vote on images and when an image gets 30 votes it's only counted as a nomination. You then get other people to look at the image and if it's got artistic or photographic merit it gets an RC award, if it looks more like the result of tactical or reciprocal voting cos the photo is relatively poor, then it doesn't get an RC award.

When your image receives 30 nominations you get a message telling you "you've been nominated, good luck, if you keep getting nominations and no award it may be that only your friends are voting for you and not the wider audience"

petebfrance
31 Jul 2014 - 4:40 PM

I'm convinced that awards have been given to photos with 'versions' based on what a good set of photos it was, but the awarded photo that shows up is the first one and quite often not, well, really the best. Not sure what should (if anything) should be done, I was just reminded of it when considering 'versions' for the E2 thread. But awards....(well, I haven't got any, so ....)

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72507 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
31 Jul 2014 - 4:46 PM

Quote: "you've been nominated, good luck, if you keep getting nominations and no award it may be that only your friends are voting for you and not the wider audience"

Cat...Pigeons like it...Wink

TanyaH
TanyaH e2 Member 11524 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2014 - 5:01 PM

Quote: Change it so people can vote on images and when an image gets 30 votes it's only counted as a nomination. You then get other people to look at the image and if it's got artistic or photographic merit it gets an RC award, if it looks more like the result of tactical or reciprocal voting cos the photo is relatively poor, then it doesn't get an RC award.

But ... how are you going to police that one and who makes the judgement call on whether it's seen as tactical or reciprocal voting? I've seen some images that, while they might be described as 'relatively poor' in technical terms, are hugely appealing due to emotional or creative content. So, those that appreciate the creative content of the image vote on it ... and someone, somewhere thinks "Oh, that's a sh*t photo but the author has obviously garnered lots of support from the clique/gang/range of friends, so we won't let that one have an RC" and it doesn't get any further - even if it deserves to because the person who took it tried to do something different. (And yes, I know what you mean when you say to have several people look at it - that would help the technical/creative side of the argument.)

Pete used to bestow the EC as he saw fit - for whatever his reasons - as was his right as Editor. People moaned about that.

So the GEA was born ... And people moaned because the GE for any particular week was on a volunteer basis, so people thought that the mates of the week's GE would get an award, irrespective of the quality of the image in question.

So then came the RC award ... and people moaned and said that it didn't mean anything because 'obviously' votes happen because the originator of the image was friends with lots of people, and it was a clique-thing.

And then there's the HC ...

No one can win in this situation, which is sad.

The people that don't actually care about awards on their images get seen as 'sniffy' and somehow 'bitter' because they don't get any.

Those that get loads of RC awards sit back and enjoy the fact that their stuff is so popular ... sometimes (and this isn't finger-pointing in any way) they may think they don't need to improve anything beacause 'obviously' they don't need to because their stuff is so popular.

But then again, there are those members who (rightly) don't necessarily want to improve because they're actually happy doing what they're doing - and good luck to them if that's the way they want it. No one has the right to tell them that they NEED to improve their work in order to be seen as 'worthy' enough to be a member on here.

I don't know what the answer is, and I can sympathise with the members who decry the click-cliques (myth or otherwise) that they feel are happening. It all just goes round in circles and never gets anywhere.

Maybe we should just do away with awards completely - of any kind?

Sad

[Edit: and anyway, aren't 'click-cliques' just a euphamism for 'friends' or 'people that like my/your stuff' ... ??]

Last Modified By TanyaH at 31 Jul 2014 - 5:09 PM
Chris_L
31 Jul 2014 - 5:09 PM

Quote: how are you going to police that one and who makes the judgement call on whether it's seen as tactical or reciprocal voting

You don't even look at the voting pattern, you just get editors to look at the photos rather than them getting automatic awards.

TanyaH
31 Jul 2014 - 5:14 PM

Quote: how are you going to police that one and who makes the judgement call on whether it's seen as tactical or reciprocal voting

You don't even look at the voting pattern, you just get editors to look at the photos rather than them getting automatic awards.

Okay, who's to say the editors wouldn't be biased? (playing devil's advocate here, by the way ...)

[Edit: and who would be 'chosen' as editors?]

Last Modified By TanyaH at 31 Jul 2014 - 5:15 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014787 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2014 - 5:29 PM

Quote: One simple thing you can improve on is the size of images when you open them. 600p/x is dire, even 1000p/x is not that good. When they are on either Lightroom or Photoshop, they look totally different.

I've been noticing only lately that there's a lot of quality loss in images when posting on this site, never noticed it before. I agree with the above quote.

Ah, awards.Smile I think we might just as well give in and change the vote button to a "like" button, which is what it has been used as from day one. How many times has it been explained on here that the "vote" button is to be used to promote an image for an award, and everybody continues to use it as a like button regardless. Over the years I have tried to comply with Epz's definition of the "vote" button, and only press it for an outstanding image, and make a comment saying that I like the image. Then I start getting messages asking for a vote, if I indeed like the image. The way it has been used from the beginning has made it almost meaningless. It has been a fly in the ointment of the site from its inception; intentions were fine, but human nature stepped in. The way I have used it is the only way it works for me, if I like an image, and can think of something meaningful to say, I'll make a comment, and always include a vote, or if I can't think of anything, I'll just vote if I like it. Imo, to have it work the way the site intended from the beginning, will require every single one of us to comply. So, which is more likely to succeed, change it to like, or educate, and police the whole membership. I know it means a lot to many of our members to get an RC, but is there any value in it? The site tried to switch the blue hearts feature over to a vote feature, and it failed, time to move on.

As I said earlier, I have been looking into other sites for over a year. I did not look at sites like Facebook, Twitter, or Flickr, although I did join Flickr, and haven't been back since. My observation has been that none of the sites similar to this one are in the same league. Imo, this is the most active of that class of site. Epz must be doing something that they aren't.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 31 Jul 2014 - 5:38 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014787 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2014 - 5:49 PM

Quote: [Edit: and anyway, aren't 'click-cliques' just a euphamism for 'friends' or 'people that like my/your stuff' ... ??]

You've been around long enough to remember Blue Hearts.Grin Those were the days that the site actually was the friendliest on the web, imo.Smile The only thing that changed, was the site made it a vote button instead of a like (Blue Heart) button, and forgot to tell the rest of us that the site was now a serious photography site, instead of a very friendly site, and that our cliques were frowned upon by management, but theirs were even more meaningful. Bitter? You got it baby! Biggest mistake this site ever made, simply to make a couple of people's egos a little bigger, unjustifiably, imo.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 31 Jul 2014 - 5:50 PM
Chris_L
31 Jul 2014 - 5:57 PM

[quote]who's to say the editors wouldn't be biased[/quote
Everybody has some bias Tanya, am suggesting improvements to a badly flawed hated system, not a perfect system. If you have got a perfect system fire away! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.