Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gallery Suggestions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014798 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2014 - 12:00 AM

Apples and oranges!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Aug 2014 - 12:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AtticusFinch

And exclamation marks

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2014 - 11:17 AM

Just catching up with this thread, having been away etc;

Quote: I can't understand why people who do not contribute to the gallery etc. Feel the need to comment. Why do you come here if you don't participate? Just interested

A bit like a sports club - you pay your membership, so that you can play squash, but other folks might want to play tennis, or use the gym

Quote: Well, I prefer a comment anyway because it's friendlier. But if people don't want to do that then that's OK too. I still vote and comment on loads so that's a huge part of the enjoyment for me.

...and so do I, when I have the timeSmile

Quote: Maybe its time this site learnt from its mistakes.

The only mistake (s) the site has made IMHO is to change things for the "better", without prior consultation - this thread is a breath of fresh air in the world of open discussion - I appreciate that all of the people cannot be pleased all of the time, but that's life!

Quote: But the site has the simplest of procedures now.

I like this photo. Press Vote.

I'm not saying that change cannot take place. I'm saying that the solution shouldn't be to over engineer it or simply change it for another version of the same thing.

If it ain't broke (which it isn't), then why try to fix it

Quote: Of course the RC is a joke.

I reckon with this view/opinion, that you are in a very small minority

Quote: Put my photos on there and my postage stamp collection on here.

A rather unworthy remark IMHO

What I honestly believe is that at times some folks get fed up, or prefer something different
It only takes one person to contact another regarding the merits of other sites and it spreads like wildfire, which is then followed up by the criticism of EPZ
This site is different from the others and as such carries it's own definite identity

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 861 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
11 Aug 2014 - 1:17 PM

Quote: this thread is a breath of fresh air

Definitely. I hope that people take the opportunity to express their views, it's no good being silent now and moaning later. I think epz now understand that users weren't wanting to dictate how the site should work but wanted their ideas and opinions taken into consideration.

tj
tj ePHOTOzine Staff 111943 forum poststj vcard England
11 Aug 2014 - 1:37 PM

Quote: I hope that people take the opportunity to express their views, it's no good being silent now and moaning later. I think epz now understand that users weren't wanting to dictate how the site should work but wanted their ideas and opinions taken into consideration.

Spot on.

thatmanbrian
23 Aug 2014 - 5:40 AM

I've been a member since 2011 but have drifted away because of the insistence that uploads be jpegs. Since galleries are a major aspect of the site, can't the site designers allow TIFs?

I understand that TIF has several variants and can be more complicated to handle but not impossible.

As I say, I find it too much hassle to be bothered. My work flow already involves Lightroom exporting three userdefined formats/sizes/dimensions for other services. I congratulate ePhotozine on allowing full size files but this is just a first step.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023026 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2014 - 5:59 AM

Quote: but have drifted away because of the insistence that uploads be jpegs.

You'll be drifting away from a lot more places then.

thatmanbrian
23 Aug 2014 - 7:00 AM

That's very constructive, thanks. How about addressing my point?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023026 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2014 - 7:09 AM

Because a tiff file is just not web friendly.
How big are these files that you expect others to have to wait while they load?
What do you think would be the advantage?

How can it be an effort to produce a 1000 pixel jpg? It's a quick and easy process.

thatmanbrian
23 Aug 2014 - 7:30 AM

A) I wasn't suggesting the site displays tiffs. It could do the conversion as part of the upload.
B) When you are processing a lot of photos in a session, having to create a special version for ePhozine is a pain and takes up ever more drive space.

It simply isn't necessary for a site to force users into these requirements. All the work should be done by the site not the user. Imagine a garage insisting you prep your car for a service yourself!! It isn't user friendly and as a result I'm sure they loose customers.

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111546 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2014 - 8:00 AM

Quote: I wasn't suggesting the site displays tiffs. It could do the conversion as part of the upload.

So what is your suggestion for the upload process?

Produce a tiff, upload to epz, epz converts tiff to jpeg/resizes etc, post to gallery?

keithh
23 Aug 2014 - 8:02 AM

Your analogy may suit your argument but it's nonsense.

I'll ask you again, how big are these tiff files that you will be uploading because mine are about 80mb each?

If we all started uploading at that size it would the same as 30 people turning up for an MOT test at the same time and expecting it to be done inside an hour. Wink

thatmanbrian
23 Aug 2014 - 8:04 AM

I suggested TIFF as that is a format I already export from Lightroom for my own purposes in my workflow. But there is no reason why other formats can't be uploaded. It is up to the site programmers to accommodate users. They can also very easily convert them internally to the size and file type needed for fast browser loading. As I say, why make the consumer do all the work?

thatmanbrian
23 Aug 2014 - 8:09 AM

Crossed in the post! My exported TIFFs are already reduced in resolution so the file size is suitable for uploading. It would be mad not to I agree. It's just so annoying that a site unnecessarily makes life difficult. And it isn't just this one of course.

keithh
23 Aug 2014 - 8:10 AM

When you take your car to the garage, do they let you pay them in Australian Dollars? I imagine they insist on sterling.

Last Modified By keithh at 23 Aug 2014 - 8:11 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.