Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gallery Suggestions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thatmanbrian
23 Aug 2014 - 8:14 AM

A better analogy would be if the garage insisted on fivers in cash for paymet.Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Aug 2014 - 8:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111561 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2014 - 8:19 AM

Quote: Crossed in the post! My exported TIFFs are already reduced in resolution so the file size is suitable for uploading. It would be mad not to I agree. It's just so annoying that a site unnecessarily makes life difficult. And it isn't just this one of course.

I might be being a bit dumb here, but if you already resize and export as a tiff, why not just change the file format settings to export as jpeg. Are you using LR?

What is the benefit of resizing your tiff file to epz sizes?

thatmanbrian
23 Aug 2014 - 8:25 AM

I export in resized tif for other uses and would find it better to use that same file for ephotozine. As I said in my original post I already have three different export settings setup in LR and don't want a fourth.

It's hard to explain but I think it is a valid complaint.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023173 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2014 - 9:34 AM

Sometimes you have to do things for yourself.

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 1244 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
23 Aug 2014 - 9:59 AM

Brian, you've got as much right as any other member to ask for changes but uploading 80Mb files is a waste of bandwidth, around 79Mb will be thrown away on receipt and processing.

You say "I already have three different export settings setup in LR and don't want a fourth." Those presets don't take up any room. How often do you upload to epz, if it's once or twice a week you'd only have to export one file with that preset once or twice a week.

If you're currently creating 3 versions of your files I wonder why? I tend to keep only original files where possible and generate other types and sizes from a preset when needed (for uploading or email etc) but don't hang on to those. I've never emailed 80mb files, most people's mailboxes can't handle files bigger than 10mb -20mb. Even for commercial printing high res full quality jpegs are accepted, even encouraged, by the people I've had to deal with.

Last Modified By Chris_L at 23 Aug 2014 - 10:00 AM
thatmanbrian
23 Aug 2014 - 10:03 PM

OK I NEVER said I wanted to upload 80Mb files!!! Where did that come from?

When I had prints made for an exhibition earlier this year the printers insisted on TIFF.

When I export from LR I do save the files as I like belts and braces.

No one has answered my original point. WHY does ePhotozine have this system?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023173 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2014 - 10:52 PM

You said you wanted to upload tiffs and let EPZ sort them out. That means the initial image you upload is far in excess of a jpg. When your printer insisted on a tiff it was because he was printing, not displaying it within a web browser.

I think you're getting confused by where and why certain image formats are used for different purposes and the web does not suit the tiff format,regardless of what you would wish.

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 1244 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
23 Aug 2014 - 10:57 PM

My bad re the 80mb, it was assumed your files would be round the 80mb mark.

Quote: When I had prints made for an exhibition earlier this year the printers insisted on TIFF.

Did you ask them where that system came from and insist they use JPEG to save you adding yet another Lightroom preset to your other couple? I hope you told them it was like garages insisting on fivers.

epz displays jpegs, reasonable of them to ask you to provide jpegs. If you haven't got any software that can convert to jpeg I would recommend Adobe's Lightroom program. You can easily generate different sizes and types of file for different purposes. You can save these requirements as presets.

Last Modified By Chris_L at 23 Aug 2014 - 10:58 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73903 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2014 - 11:08 PM

Brian, I don't know of any website that uses TIFF's. Just because one printer insisted on TIFFS (can't understand why BTW), why should EPZ change their whole system just because one print house can't print JPEGs?

Whats the problem with saving as a JPEG? File>Save as>drop down to JPEG, job done. How long does that take? - if its a problem save it as an action, assign a function key, then takes a fraction of a second - if you want you can apply it to a whole folder of images.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.