Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garage conversion for home studio?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    toomasp
    toomasp  7
    12 Nov 2007 - 3:06 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to get involved some more serious portrait work and would like to set up a small studio in the garage at home. Is this a good idea, if anyone out there has done it how did you prepare the space to be used (to avoid dust etc).

Also, I'm thinking about getting a studio lighting startup kit, I know I can use these with my DSLR but what about on older equipment such as my Yashica Mat?

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Nov 2007 - 3:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_kershaw
    12 Nov 2007 - 3:24 PM

in converting your garage you need to consider the cold, usually garages have no insulation built into them and are very drafty, plaster boarding the ceiling and building a stud wall in front of the garage door will go a long way to helping you,
    the concrete floor will also be cold, even if you leave a radiator on, chipboard on top of 2"x2" timbers with insulation between works fine, if this is too costly, a thick underlay with carpet will help

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    12 Nov 2007 - 8:57 PM

It's not too difficult to overcome the heating problem but overcoming the lack of height is quite another thing. The standard height of most garages really restricts placement of lights, camera angles etc.

toomasp
    toomasp  7
    13 Nov 2007 - 10:07 AM

The garage is the best space I've got, has anyone else experienced problems with a lack of height?

ripleysalien
    13 Nov 2007 - 10:22 AM

Depends what type of garage, attatched to the house, flat roof, etc.
    Also when you say portraits, head n shoulders, half, full length.
    Plain roll backgrounds or set type area?
    I have shot head n shoulders in my dining room with the model seated and had plenty of room ( height ) for the lights.
    Steve

toomasp
    toomasp  7
    13 Nov 2007 - 10:41 AM

It's intergral to the house so has a flat ceiling. It's a single garage. Due to the size I was expecting that I would be restricted to head n shoulders/half length and intend to use plain roll backgrounds to start off with.

phil beale
    phil beale  111502 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Nov 2007 - 11:51 AM

is the roof pitched or flat possibly by removing the ceiling you could position the lights higher up in between the trusses.

Phil

aronadams
    aronadams  7111 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Nov 2007 - 2:55 PM

Hi Toomasp,

I have done a similar thing to what you are wanting to do. Ihave a roller door which helps and at the strutts are exposed, some care positioning of the lights enables me to get some height. I have put lino down on the floor, this prevent the backdrop paper getting creased when poeple walk onit due to the courseness of the concrete floor. I use the D-Lite4 set up with reflectors. Some of the images that I have taken are in my PF. Good luck and have fun. Aron

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.