Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Birds

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    nglen
    nglen  641 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 6:40 PM

I have a small 20 x 30 foot rear garden and thought I would list how many birds I have seen and photographed over the last few years. I live in a small town in Dorset.
    Much to my surprise the number totals 24.

Starling. Thrush. Night jar. Black Cap. Great Tit. Coal Tit. Blue Tit.

Long Tailed Tit. Black Bird. Jay. Nuthatch. Woodpecker. Dunnock. Sparrow. Robin. Wren.

Greenfinch. Goldfinch. Chaffinch. Bullfinch. Pigeon. Magpie. Crow. Wagtail.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Nov 2012 - 6:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

Off the top of my head i can count:

Blue tit, Coal tit, Great tit, Robin, Siskin, Wren, Tree creeper, Sparrow, yellow wagtail, long tailed tit, chaffinch, greenfinch, bullfinch, goldfinch, waxwing, Blackies, jackdaw, rook, starling, woodpecker, wood pigeon, collared doves, redwing

Plus the nightly visits of the barn owls and tawnies, and occasional visitors of buzzards, kestrel, sparrowhawk and ducks (!?!!)

I'm sure there is a few i have missed

lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 6:56 PM

Thats an incredible number Nick

Ive never thought about counting and listing all the birds Ive captured in my similar sized back garden....I shall list them here later once counted!!

Its a great idea for a post and it would be great to see others counts and speciesSmile

justin c
    justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 7:00 PM

28 species that I can remember.

Jay, Sparrowhawk, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Robin, Song Thrush, Dunnock, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Long tailed Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Greenfinch, Blackcap, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Feral Pigeon, Wood Pigeon, Heron, Buzzard, Bullfinch, Collard Dove, Redwing, House Sparrow, Goldcrest, Starling, Chaffinch, Grey Wagtail, Goldfinch.

Last Modified By justin c at 30 Nov 2012 - 7:01 PM
    paulcookphotography

Ah yeah, forgot to count in magpies, thrush (song), heron and fieldfare

NaturesHaven
    NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 7:10 PM

We count the different visitors to our garden also and at the moment we have had 56 different species this year.............the latest newbie was yesterday 29/11/2012 and it was a Redwing............I failed to grab a picture because at the same moment I spotted the Redwing we had a Sparrowhawk attack...........luckily this time it left without capturing any birds.

KNS
    KNS  4106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 11:19 PM

29 bird species, plus foxes Smile

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43570 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Dec 2012 - 5:35 PM

None as I have two killer catsWink

Do have a badger set 30 metres behind the house in the undergrowth though, but it's difficult to get them to pose on sticks.

Malc

Hazelmouse
    1 Dec 2012 - 5:58 PM

We have kept a bird count for each house we have owned.

Yesterday added number 35 for this one - a Brambling. Very pretty and on a feeder. Oddly despite trees and numerous feeders have never seen a Nuthatch here.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.