Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
9 Jul 2012 - 11:04 AM

triffid-dsc04429.jpg

A picture of our 'Triffid', we are invaded each year by a load of these 'Triffids'.
This one is rather spectacular at nearly eight feet tall.
All the others are around 5-6ft and just a single trunk/stem.

Latin name is Onopordum Acanthium, common name Scottish Cotton Thistle.
Has blue/mauve flower heads which produce hundreds of seeds hence the annual 'invasion', we usually have to pull out dozens of them each year. Grin

Last Modified By macroman at 9 Jul 2012 - 11:36 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jul 2012 - 11:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 11:42 AM

Oh very nice triffid Smile I'd love one of them in my garden but then there wouldn't be room for me!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 11:44 AM

A new Clematis for this year, its a glorious plant, very vigorous with blooms about 8" across and that interesting red/yellow centre, the petals are just like velvet

(shot with the EM-5 + 45mm f1.8)

red-clematis.jpg

Last Modified By brian1208 at 9 Jul 2012 - 11:44 AM
macroman
9 Jul 2012 - 12:26 PM

Alison, (Cattyal)

You can get 'em from HERE

Grin

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 12:37 PM

Fushias popping out all over the place again, we have one bush about 9ft long and 4ft wide! I thought perhaps it had died during winter Smile but NO! its back again GRRRRRR! just seem to exploded overnight lol

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 12:42 PM

Quote: Alison, (Cattyal)

You can get 'em from HERE

Grin

so I can - but I won't Smile Given that my garden is about 5 x 6 meters - and that's probably being generous - I don't have the space to accommodate it. I like having a couple of flower beds, a small pond and a bit of grass to grow daisies and buttercups in Smile

petebfrance
9 Jul 2012 - 9:37 PM

Weather may be awful, but lilies are doing fine:
1-image2.jpg

cattyal
10 Jul 2012 - 8:32 AM

Ok, not my garden but the office 'garden, which is basically one big lawn. Around the side of the building, where no-one ever goes, is a clump of Hollyhocks. They're tucked behind a tree and no-one can see them. The stupid office gardener has only gone and cut them down this morning - had I been here a few minutes earlier I could have stopped him - how totally unnecessary Sad

macroman
10 Jul 2012 - 9:35 AM

Probably a 'elf 'n safety risk, they might fall over and hurt someone, or cause a hayfever epidemic. Grin

I am still waiting for our Hollyhocks to bloom.

cattyal
10 Jul 2012 - 9:39 AM

I'd not put it past the boss to say that - though I suspect he doesn't even know they're there - were there. We're not supposed to walk on his precious lawn so I nip across either first thing (I'm usually the first person in and open up) - or just before I go home when no-one is looking. They were a bit off blooming but a decent size and I was keeping a sneaky eye on them.

I can live with people taking out plants that are in the way or considered weeds but these were doing no harm and I just don't see the sense of it. Ok, maybe a small thing to get annoyed about but....... Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64346 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2012 - 11:41 AM

Ingrates! I've just cleared a load of stuff that's growing through our fence from next door and tidied up the garden a bit. When I put the cuttings in the garden bags I noticed a load of slugs had made their home on the outside of them so I scraped them all off and put them on the lawn where the birds might find them. Not one of the birds has taken any of the slugs! I thought they loved them. So who knows where they'll end up now. Sad

macroman
10 Jul 2012 - 11:55 AM

Quote: Ok, maybe a small thing to get annoyed about but.......

Time to join the Grumpy Group Alison? Grin Grin

cattyal
10 Jul 2012 - 12:12 PM

Quote: Ok, maybe a small thing to get annoyed about but.......

Time to join the Grumpy Group Alison? Grin Grin

I think I am a member - I just don't contribute much due to my sunny optimistic nature Smile

macroman
10 Jul 2012 - 1:35 PM

I am always grumpilly optimistic (grumpistyc). Grin

Last Modified By macroman at 10 Jul 2012 - 1:36 PM
petebfrance
10 Jul 2012 - 4:20 PM

It's taken us about 10 years to get the hollyhocks growing here. Previous use of the garden appears to have been vegetables using chemical fertilisers, weeds kept down by chemicals too. Yuck - sodium chlorate I think was the major constituent of the exotic brew this small bit of land was fed. Sad
Still, we now have hollyhocks - they're all pale pink, but maybe we'll be able to get some more growing for a bit of variety.
A 'gardener' and 'cutting down hollyhocks' seems a bit tortologous (er? wrong, perhaps)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.