Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
31 Jul 2012 11:38PM

Quote:Hydrangeas are doing splendidly

Mine too. Smile

1-flowers.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
1 Aug 2012 2:24PM

Quote:Mine too

very nice!
They're very reliable and take so easily from cuttings. We never really bothered with them before we moved here - I think they like the sandy soil, and they've enjoyed the extra rain this year (although I haven't).
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
1 Aug 2012 2:45PM
I can't kill off my hydrangeas (not that I want to). Each year I cut them right down, and every year they spring up again and block the front window and the pathway.
They are pretty though.
1 Aug 2012 3:23PM

Quote:Each year I cut them right down, and every year they spring up again and block the front window and the pathway.

Ours do the same. Fortunately that part's really a cellar (half underground, used to have a kitchen in it) and we only use it for wine etc., but it's amazing how loving a wet hydrangea can be.....
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
5 Aug 2012 12:35PM
The Goldenrod is out and absolutely covered in bees - however it looks like it's going to rain any minute so no doubt they'll be diving for cover shortly Smile They like the one clump of Ragwort too but the Goldenrod appears to be the preferred plant.
Squirrel 7 401 3 England
5 Aug 2012 3:14PM
Loads of Echinops in bud, the bees will be buzzing around them once they start flowering. Yellow loosestrife in flower but some will need to be removed this autumn as its getting a bit invasive. Lots of brambles with fruit on it- lets hope they ripen and we get a good crop, unlike my gooseberries which disappeared down the throat of the muntjac fawn along with the buds off the roses that I planted last autumn.
5 Aug 2012 6:39PM
The Oriental scented lilies are now coming out.
This one I believe is the 'Empress of India'
lily1.jpg

and this one I don't know, but it's taller than me..
lily2.jpg

macroman 11 15.3k England
5 Aug 2012 7:33PM
dsc04442.jpg

This Rambling Rose and Clematis have gone mad this year, and really go well together.
8 Aug 2012 9:44PM
It's nice to have some decent weather and really enjoy the garden. This is a sunflower (they haven't exactly been happy) and a Verbena something-or-other against the sun. The Verbena something-or-other has been in flower for ages, is about five and a half feet tall, smells quite nice and has stood up to the weather rather well.

verb2smw.jpg

We have had a Swallowtail butterfly visiting - it lands briefly on the Verbena and then goes off disappointed - not sure what it's looking for, meanwhile the Red Admirals and Speckled Woods seem to multiplying at an alarming rate.....
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
8 Aug 2012 9:50PM
The concrete is drying out nicely................ no lawn to mow............... YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2012 10:53PM
Good that isn't it - we have about 6 tonne of shingle covering our back garden and 1.5 tonne the front. No grass, no formal flower beds, no lawn mower, lawn edger, aerator - nothing! Grin

its the best bit of garden design I ever did Wink
8 Aug 2012 11:14PM
Lazy beggars! Grin
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2012 11:57PM
Haven't watered it for over 13 years either (except for new plantings)

"Darwinian Gardening" my old Granny called it, find plants that thrive on neglect and don't waste your time on those that can't.

Its amazing how much colour you can still get and how rampant the plants will grow
9 Aug 2012 10:18AM
We have a small path consisting of that fabric which-is-supposed-to-let-water-through-and-impede-weed-growth (I'm sure there's a name for it) covered with some gravel. Some plants really love it - larkspurs in particular. It's also good for seedlings of quite a few different plants (my wife's the expert). It's not much use for walking on, though.

We do have a small lawn which takes about half-an-hour to mow. Very pleasant stuff, grass - well, clover, bird's foot trefoil....and daisies of course.
9 Aug 2012 11:21AM
That fabric only retards existing weeds in the soil, otherwise the weed seeds lay on top, under the gravel and grow through, the only good point is that they are easy to pull up.

Quote:We do have a small lawn which takes about half-an-hour to mow.

Cutting grass is cruel........It's very upsetting to hear grass moan. Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.