Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2012 - 11:38 PM

Quote: Hydrangeas are doing splendidly

Mine too. Smile

1-flowers.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jul 2012 - 11:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

petebfrance
1 Aug 2012 - 2:24 PM

Quote: Mine too

very nice!
They're very reliable and take so easily from cuttings. We never really bothered with them before we moved here - I think they like the sandy soil, and they've enjoyed the extra rain this year (although I haven't).

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2012 - 2:45 PM

I can't kill off my hydrangeas (not that I want to). Each year I cut them right down, and every year they spring up again and block the front window and the pathway.
They are pretty though.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 1 Aug 2012 - 2:46 PM
petebfrance
1 Aug 2012 - 3:23 PM

Quote: Each year I cut them right down, and every year they spring up again and block the front window and the pathway.

Ours do the same. Fortunately that part's really a cellar (half underground, used to have a kitchen in it) and we only use it for wine etc., but it's amazing how loving a wet hydrangea can be.....

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2012 - 12:35 PM

The Goldenrod is out and absolutely covered in bees - however it looks like it's going to rain any minute so no doubt they'll be diving for cover shortly Smile They like the one clump of Ragwort too but the Goldenrod appears to be the preferred plant.

Squirrel
Squirrel  7374 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2012 - 3:14 PM

Loads of Echinops in bud, the bees will be buzzing around them once they start flowering. Yellow loosestrife in flower but some will need to be removed this autumn as its getting a bit invasive. Lots of brambles with fruit on it- lets hope they ripen and we get a good crop, unlike my gooseberries which disappeared down the throat of the muntjac fawn along with the buds off the roses that I planted last autumn.

petebfrance
5 Aug 2012 - 6:39 PM

The Oriental scented lilies are now coming out.
This one I believe is the 'Empress of India'
lily1.jpg
and this one I don't know, but it's taller than me..
lily2.jpg

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
5 Aug 2012 - 7:33 PM

dsc04442.jpg

This Rambling Rose and Clematis have gone mad this year, and really go well together.

petebfrance
8 Aug 2012 - 9:44 PM

It's nice to have some decent weather and really enjoy the garden. This is a sunflower (they haven't exactly been happy) and a Verbena something-or-other against the sun. The Verbena something-or-other has been in flower for ages, is about five and a half feet tall, smells quite nice and has stood up to the weather rather well.

verb2smw.jpg

We have had a Swallowtail butterfly visiting - it lands briefly on the Verbena and then goes off disappointed - not sure what it's looking for, meanwhile the Red Admirals and Speckled Woods seem to multiplying at an alarming rate.....

Last Modified By petebfrance at 8 Aug 2012 - 9:49 PM
MeanGreeny
8 Aug 2012 - 9:50 PM

The concrete is drying out nicely................ no lawn to mow............... YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109963 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2012 - 10:53 PM

Good that isn't it - we have about 6 tonne of shingle covering our back garden and 1.5 tonne the front. No grass, no formal flower beds, no lawn mower, lawn edger, aerator - nothing! Grin

its the best bit of garden design I ever did Wink

macroman
8 Aug 2012 - 11:14 PM

Lazy beggars! Grin

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109963 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2012 - 11:57 PM

Haven't watered it for over 13 years either (except for new plantings)

"Darwinian Gardening" my old Granny called it, find plants that thrive on neglect and don't waste your time on those that can't.

Its amazing how much colour you can still get and how rampant the plants will grow

petebfrance
9 Aug 2012 - 10:18 AM

We have a small path consisting of that fabric which-is-supposed-to-let-water-through-and-impede-weed-growth (I'm sure there's a name for it) covered with some gravel. Some plants really love it - larkspurs in particular. It's also good for seedlings of quite a few different plants (my wife's the expert). It's not much use for walking on, though.

We do have a small lawn which takes about half-an-hour to mow. Very pleasant stuff, grass - well, clover, bird's foot trefoil....and daisies of course.

macroman
9 Aug 2012 - 11:21 AM

That fabric only retards existing weeds in the soil, otherwise the weed seeds lay on top, under the gravel and grow through, the only good point is that they are easy to pull up.

Quote: We do have a small lawn which takes about half-an-hour to mow.

Cutting grass is cruel........It's very upsetting to hear grass moan. Grin

Last Modified By macroman at 9 Aug 2012 - 11:22 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.