Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 10:27 AM

Ripped out the Runner Beans, decided to give up on the Gooseberries as yet again they have been hammered by Sawfly despite constant spraying (all the more space for Rhubarb Wink ) and am waiting for some Purple Broccoli plants to arrive so I can plant those out.

The ornamental grasses are superb this year, so the weather was good for something

Bugs, Bees and Butterflies have all got their heads down at the moment

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Sep 2012 - 10:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
22 Sep 2012 - 12:08 PM

Our runners and toms are still cropping well, so they won't be getting the chop just yet.

TLH has gone 'Hydrangea Crazy' and planted them all over the place.

The shredder has been working overtime, chopping up (down?) all the cuttings and prunings from the shrubs and roses. Have made umpteen trips to the tip (Recycling facility) to dispose of all the stuff (you can't get a lot in a Citroen C1Smile ).

Last Modified By macroman at 22 Sep 2012 - 12:09 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 4:07 PM

Some lovely warm sun encouraged a large number of bees and hovers to start feeding, giving me a couple of hours of macro fun Smile

petebfrance
22 Sep 2012 - 8:00 PM

Quote: Some lovely warm sun....

Hmm.
Miserable and wet here in 'sunny France.' We are replacing the rotting, wooden compost heaps with the plastic variety in the hopes of reducing the woodworm population. Didn't get very far today.

Meanwhile the goldfinches are enjoying the sunflower seeds:
image3.jpg

Opened the window to take this.
They usually fly away immediately but as it was raining so heavily they seem to have worked out that nesh humans prefer to stay dry.
(memo to self - using flash when it's raining necessitates a lot of 'post-processing')

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73294 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 12:08 PM

Amazing what a bit of cold weather can do.
We put out new bird feed this week because of the frosts we've been having.
Suddenly the garden is alive with long-lost friends we haven't seen for months.
The goldfinches are back, along with the blue & great tits. (Coal tits have been with us for most of the summer). The robin has been around for a couple of weeks now & the chaffinches are appearing in greater numbers. Just waiting for the wren & blackbirds to arrive.
The trees on the golf course across the road are suddenly full of starlings & rooks & jackdaws are lining up on the house roofs.
The only downside is the resident magpie pair have been joined by a load of their cousins looking to freeload off us.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64346 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2012 - 6:02 PM

Well, after 25 years our leylandii is having to come down. I'm really sad about it as the birds have sheltered, played, nested and fed in it.

I have to have something else to take it's place so I was wondering if anyone had any bird-friendly suggestions. I'm thinking of a Rowan Tree (Mountain Ash) as it has nice red berries that the birds like, grows to a reasonable height and can be nested in, as well as giving some shelter.

Love the picture of the goldfinches petebfrance. Must get some of those sunflowers. Smile

Last Modified By SlowSong at 21 Oct 2012 - 6:03 PM
petebfrance
21 Oct 2012 - 7:19 PM

Quote: Love the picture of the goldfinches petebfrance. Must get some of those sunflowers. Smile

Thank-you. My wife was keen on planting sunflowers because they attract the goldfinches. They (the goldfinches, not the sunflowers) can be heard from quite a distance, but move off quickly when approached. Really nice, though. We'll be planting more next year, plus we're looking for some more butterfly-friendly plants.

Pete

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64346 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2012 - 8:42 AM

Quote: Well, after 25 years our leylandii is having to come down. I'm really sad about it as the birds have sheltered, played, nested and fed in it.

I have to have something else to take it's place so I was wondering if anyone had any bird-friendly suggestions. I'm thinking of a Rowan Tree (Mountain Ash) as it has nice red berries that the birds like, grows to a reasonable height and can be nested in, as well as giving some shelter.

Just bumping this up in case anyone has any ideas and missed my previous post. Thanks. Smile

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2012 - 10:11 AM

How about a flowering cherry such as Prunus Kanzan. Fairly fast growing; blossom in the spring, fruit for the birds and they look fabulous in the Autumn.

SlowSong
22 Oct 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Ewan. We've already got a flowering cherry. This new tree is to be right next to the fence so I want something I can prune easily and won't get too big.
If I could have another lovely big tree I would, but I don't want to be upsetting the new neighbours.
Thanks. Smile

brian1208
22 Oct 2012 - 12:31 PM

Our neighbours have got this , Buddleja globosa, growing against our fence and the birds love it. Its also good for butterflies and bees of course)

Its a doddle to prune and seems as tough as old boots (the previous neighbours neglected it dreadfully and when the new ones arrived they hacked it right back, within 2 months or so the new growth is already in flower!)

SlowSong
22 Oct 2012 - 1:47 PM

That looks nice Brian. I'll look into it. It looks as if it'll suit the birds as perching and sheltering as well as looking pretty and being tall and bushy.
Smile

SlowSong
24 Oct 2012 - 4:58 PM

Noticed a strange thing today. I was in the shed and a centipede crawled out from under a leg of the garden table. There was a spider in its web in the path of the centipede but when the centipede barged into it the spider ran away, then popped out again. This happened a few times as Mr C wandered around. Are spiders frightened of centipedes, I wonder. If spider was looking for a good meal a banquet walked into its lair about 4 times, then safely crawled off unscathed. TBH, I wish the spider had caught it. I don't many most insects but centipedes, millipedes and earwigs give me the creeps.

Have no got the new (extra) bird feeders up away from the leylandii so that the birds can find them in plenty of time before the cull. Sad

SlowSong
6 Nov 2012 - 8:25 AM

Last day for my beloved Leylanii. It's a bright and crisp morning, all the birds have been tweeting in the branches and I feel rather sad. Sad

SlowSong
12 Nov 2012 - 10:13 AM

Well, Leylandii's gone, but not totally. I kept back some of the trunk pieces and drilled holes in them and have laid them at the bottom of the garden where not much grows. I'm hoping it'll be a home for insects and small creatures. They look rather nice actually and have filled an unattractive gap. Behind the bush is my original wildlife bit of scrub which is still thriviing with insects and mice.

img-6878-resized.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.