Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96097 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 10:23 AM

That's something I'd like to do - not chopping down my trees - but building a nice pile of logs at the bottom of the corner for wee beasties Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Nov 2012 - 10:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

montechoro
montechoro  122340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 1:59 PM

Amazingly and for the first time ever - we had a second flush of rhubarb shoot up in October this year. Just a few stems but we've never had that before.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 3:29 PM

We have two lovely Clematis in bloom, the large bloom type not the cirrhosa, which is as usual out at this time of year (and looking very healthy) .

I hope that's not storing up trouble for next year but they do look very nice against this dull grey and damp weather, seems a shame to prune then off just yet though

montechoro
12 Nov 2012 - 3:58 PM

Quote: We have two lovely Clematis in bloom, the large bloom type not the cirrhosa, which is as usual out at this time of year (and looking very healthy) .

I hope that's not storing up trouble for next year but they do look very nice against this dull grey and damp weather, seems a shame to prune then off just yet though

Ditto Brian - my Clematis "Nelly Moser" is in bloom next to the front door. Like you - I hope its not a problem for next year

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53671 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 4:26 PM

Its a new garden for us that's been neglected apart from grass cutting, so lots of fresh digging and bulb planting. Lots of existing white bulbs are sprouting below ground, more like tulip bulbs than daffodils - waiting to see.

Almost all leaves fallen now and last apples picked. Hoping that Helleborus buds will flower soon.
Birds, squirrels and a fox are visiting the bird feeding station.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84309 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 7:36 AM

Okay, not quite 'garden', but I've been out about on the farm looking at all the Holly bushes. I have never seen so few berries!! Last year was a bumper year, perhaps the trees are trying to recover!

Anyway, I suspect the price of fresh holly will soar this year!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96097 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 8:29 AM

I was hoping to pinch a bit from the Holly bush at work for some xmas card piccies but there are no berries either - very disappointing. At least I've no shortage of ivy at home Smile

montechoro
14 Nov 2012 - 10:03 PM

8 years ago, I bought and planted some saffron crocus bulbs from Hillier nurseries after my wife complained about the cost of buying saffron strands for cooking.

The first year we had bright green, healthy lush leaves and no flowers at all.

The second year we had lush green leaves and again no flowers. Hilliers recommended changing the soil and the planting depth. We did. Nothing.

Years 3 and 4 - Hilliers advised us not to feed the bulbs as they prefer a poor, free draining soil. We had lush green leaves, no flowers.

Year 5 - Hilliers said the bulbs were difficult to grow and recommended another free draining soil, with less nutrients. Lush leaves - no flowers.

Years 6/7 - Hilliers thought the bulbs could be a bad batch were "blind" or secretly, that I was an idiot. Again for 2 years - lush green growth - no flowers.

Year 8 - Today I have the first purple flower ever appearing and emerging from the crocus bulbs. I could not believe my eyes. I still have the lush green leaves - but after 8 unproductive years my first saffron crocus flower is about to burst open.

No wonder it's so ruddy expensive to buy in the shops. Knowing my luck, the dog will dig it up to bury a bone Grin

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 10:41 PM

At least you had the patience to leave it in place. Think how good that saffron is going to taste Smile

(Many years ago my wife dug up a "Difficult" plant and slung it on the compost heap, only to find it in full bloom there a month or so later!)

Last Modified By brian1208 at 14 Nov 2012 - 10:42 PM
montechoro
15 Nov 2012 - 4:16 AM

Quote: At least you had the patience to leave it in place. Think how good that saffron is going to taste Smile

(Many years ago my wife dug up a "Difficult" plant and slung it on the compost heap, only to find it in full bloom there a month or so later!)

LOL Brian. I have thought many times about digging up the saffron bulbs and throwing them away. I was getting fed up with just seeing the the spectacular, lush leaves every year. I only left them in because I thought that with such fabulous leaves - something must be happening inside the bulb. Anyway, having been left in place in poor quality, low nutrient, free draining soil - I finally have flowers.

Also re your difficult plant / compost heap experience - that must have raised a smile or two in your household.

Will post the "taste test" results of the garden fresh saffron strands when they are ready. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the glass jar variety Grin

Searching for a recipe now to bring out the best of the saffron .......................... any ideas or suggestions for using the saffron most welcome.

According to the BBC it takes 250,000 saffron stigmas to make just half a kilo of saffron strands - I've got about 20 bulbs at best - so it will be very precious in our house whilst it lasts.

Last Modified By montechoro at 15 Nov 2012 - 6:41 AM
KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84309 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 7:38 AM

It's wet...............very, very wet!

Last night I found a frog in my hall (thanks Taffy!!!!) - it was very dry and very fluffy, but as I bent down to pick it up it gasped! So there was I, in the pitch black of night with the rain pouring down, gently dunking a frog into the pond (hoping to wash the fluff off if nothing else). To my surprise, as soon as it touched the water it leapt from my hands!!!

Frogs, in December! It may be wet, but at least it's warm! I haven't lit the log fire in a week!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64538 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 1:44 PM

Ah, the joys of young cats. Been there, done that, never again. I'll get a dog instead. Grin

My gardens like a quagmire. Just mud, oh, and fat where the birds drop stuff then the pigeons tread it all in.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 23 Dec 2012 - 1:45 PM
brian1208
23 Dec 2012 - 2:11 PM

its "pruning" time in our garden - as in, taking 5ft off the top of our Liquidambar Gum tree and starting to remove all the growth from a decrepit arbour (a right bugger of a job as its covered with years of woody Clematis and Passion Flower vines)

As our front and back gardens are all shingle we don't get problems with mud and when the sun comes out the yellow / brown tones of the shingle look quite pleasing (not that we have seen much sun recently of course Smile )

Hellebores are beginning to bloom and the Celandines are putting up their new growth along with the snowdrops so our mini-woodland garden patch (about 5ft x 4ft) should start to look interesting in a few weeks

Last Modified By brian1208 at 23 Dec 2012 - 2:11 PM
arnieg
arnieg  10682 forum posts England
23 Dec 2012 - 2:20 PM

bit to much water the middle was a path right side raised beds dscn0047.jpg

Last Modified By arnieg at 23 Dec 2012 - 2:22 PM
brian1208
23 Dec 2012 - 2:21 PM

Ouch!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.