Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56545 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2013 - 2:32 PM

We made the mistake of planting dwarf bamboo in our garden a few years ago and had the same problem - getting in early each year and yanking out new shoot was the only real way of doing it, occasionally taking the time to follow large roots and get them out whole, rather like a mega version of twitch grass. If your neighbour refuses to take the time to get rid of the original you will never get rid of it. The best solution may be as Jack says in creating a physical barrier: get some of that think plastic lawn edging (the stuff about 8 or 10" deep), push a spade deep into the soil land slide the a double thickness of plastic down next to the spade, then move along and repeat until you have a barrier in there. We did this to coral our bamboo, offsetting the two layers of plastic to create a barrier about 10-12" deep. This may not be very easy if you have woody shrubs on the border, though because you may have to go through their roots as well.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Mar 2013 - 2:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110310 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2013 - 2:41 PM

Thanks Mike, the problem is that, as you say, we have shrubs on our side, I've already had to take out a lovely little conifer which it had infiltrated, a bummer because it was a specimen we brought down from Chester when we moved 16 years ago and was a wonderful shape & colour, still - that's gardening

(we have a clump of the Aurea growing "corraled" in a large tub in our back garden and that hasn't moved an inch from the "Reservation" in the past 15+ years its been there)

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 7:05 AM

There won't be much going on in my garden today. This is the view from my kitchen window just before 07h00. Oh, I want to live somewhere warm. I'm really getting fed up with all this white stuff.

march-snow.jpg

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84292 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 7:21 AM

Bbbrrr!! Yes, I'm fed up with winter now!

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73355 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 12:03 PM

We're lucky, only getting the odd flake thats not settling. But is bloody freezing cold with an icy easterly wind.Too cold to go out & do anything.
Just think, this time last year we were sunbathing!!!!!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53651 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 12:18 PM

Surrey is the place to be, not even a frost this morning and pear tree and blueberry 'just' breaking into first leaves. Blue tits filling up a nest box I put up 4 days ago. Almost tropical Wink - Well 2 degrees at night and 6 in the day.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2013 - 3:47 PM

Is it really 23rd March, just a few days before Easter ?

Stopped snowing about an hour ago, but it was that wet snow which just thaws and turns to slush very quickly, so no snapshots or building a snowwoman toady Sad

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110310 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2013 - 3:54 PM

Even my Rhubarb has had enough and is starting to give up the ghost - we need some long warm spells with a bit of drought please! (Like this time last March Wink )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 23 Mar 2013 - 3:55 PM
petebfrance
23 Mar 2013 - 6:17 PM

Looks like the Amelanchier flowers will soon be shaking loose

It's supposed to go cold again next week, though - a very confused 'spring'...

brian1208
23 Mar 2013 - 6:59 PM

its a glorious tree isn't it, we had one when we lived in Chester and it was always a joy when the first blooms came out followed by those delicate bronze leaves

petebfrance
23 Mar 2013 - 7:59 PM

yes, they are superb. Ours came from the local garden centre which treats them as multi-branch shrubs rather than trees, but it's doing fine now.
Chester - ah. I'm from Liverpool originally and really loved Chester - the arcades, zoo....

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2013 - 9:31 PM

I'm desperately waiting for spring to finally arrive and see some wild hedgehogs in the garden again. This will then give me the green light to release the juveniles I rescued through the winter months as the little beggars are currently eating me out of house and home. The general advice is to release the juveniles once night temperatures have stabilised at about 7-8 degrees for a week or more, the temperature here at the moment is -1 degree! The hogs we have in captivity at the moment are fit and raring to go, but there's just not enough natural food out there for them to survive.........Anybody else fed up with this winter we've had?

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84292 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 7:58 AM

Yes, really fed up with it now! Still no end in sight! At least we've avoided all the snow this time!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 11:29 AM

A very rare, but beautifully welcome, visit from a long tailed tit this morning. I only saw the one, although they usually dash around in little groups. They're so pretty. I can only assume the weather has driven them onto my feeders because they're having trouble getting food elsewhere.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 11:42 AM

Along we the sparrows and starlings we get LTT's come in quite regularly Smile they've seemed to have paired up now for mating, so rather than come in the garden en masse, they're now visiting in pairs. What we have had this year strangely is a single Pied Wagtail who has a real penchant for dried mealworms, I'd have thought he'd been off to more warmer climes by now, but was I was watching him just few minutes ago. You might get lucky and see him on our webcam, keep an eye on the ground behind the feeders, a blatant plug I know but the place to visit as always is http://osman123.camstreams.com

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.