Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

CarolG
CarolG e2 Member 7128 forum postsCarolG vcard Greece16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 6:18 PM

Right now we are in the midst of a gale force 9 wind-storm, so goodness knows what is happening in the garden right now Sad

Last Modified By CarolG at 24 Mar 2013 - 6:18 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Mar 2013 - 6:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 7:11 AM

I have a pair (male & female) of Blackcaps coming to the feeders!!

I've been trying to photograph them but it's dimpsy and windy here! Plus, when the cats saw me showing interest out of the window, they immediately raced out to see what was going on.................one empty garden!

Last Modified By KarenFB at 25 Mar 2013 - 7:13 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110248 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 7:24 AM

Lucky you Karen, our neighbour's cats have put a stop to most of our interesting visitors, its mainly sparrows, starlings, pigeons + a lame Magpie these days

Haven't seen our Blackaps in a long while Sad

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 7:28 AM

I was quite surprised at how aggressive the Blackcaps are. I have a fat slab in an anti-squirrel cage - the female found a Long Tailed Tit feeding in there and promptly stomped on it!!! She wont allow any other birds near, a lot of posturing!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110248 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 11:43 AM

I'm feeling better now Smile

At the end of last year the dreaded neighbour's cat killed one of my visiting Chiffchaffs and scared the rest away.

I was having coffee this morning when one appeared, whizzed about then went off and came back with two more.

I do wish that they would slow either down a bit or the weather would brighten up as it was almost impossible to frame and shoot them they were moving so fast, even though they were practically in our conservatory they were so close to the glass

brian1208
25 Mar 2013 - 12:05 PM

Here is one of the Chiffchaffs, still waiting on another visit, probably be in the 3 o'clock feeding rush (do your have set times to arrive for a feed? ours seem to be 11 and 3 most days)

chiffchaff-2013-1.jpg

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64404 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 1:23 PM

Well done to get the shot Brian. I don't know if I get these or not as they look like so many other birds.

My lot seem to start first thing in the morning, finishing of the evening feed. I swear the pigeons queue up outside the kitchen door waiting for me in the morning but I don't go out there until about 10am.
I top up about 4 in the afternoon and that sees them through till the next day.

brian1208
25 Mar 2013 - 1:53 PM

They are tiny little birds with a greenish / yellow tint to their feathers and move very quickly and erratically as described here.

Despite being classed as a Summer Visitor we have had a little colony of over-wintering Chiffchaff here for at least 10 years and I think its becoming more common that they do this down here on the South coast

(In a strange twist of fate, the neighbour's killer cat is no more, it got run over this morning and just before lunch I was asked to help clear up the mess left behind - 'tweren't me, honest! the daft thing tended to sit under the wheels of parked vans to kep warm and we suspect that was probably the cause of its demise)

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64404 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 3:41 PM

Oh poor cat. That's really sad. Sad

petebfrance
3 Apr 2013 - 5:07 PM

Cut the grass today Smile Not exactly warm, but plenty of sun.
Also got small pair of binoculars out and left them on the table in the garden. We watched the local wren hopping on them (ah bless, so cute etc. - appropriate smiley? Blush) and then I had the pleasure of cleaning them up - why do birds have to cr*p on everything they land on?

*edited to add. No, I didn't have the camera with me, and last time the wren appeared the batteries ran out..........

Last Modified By petebfrance at 3 Apr 2013 - 5:09 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014725 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2013 - 9:52 PM

deer-800-4040049.jpg

A quick shot from the window about 30 mins ago.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53591 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 2:21 PM

Finally that the overnight frost seem to be being chased off by a new low pressure front bringing warmer winds and rain.
weather.jpg

I'm hoping everything on pause will next week see loads of leafbuds popping and the garden finally starting to say hello.
I have buds for tulips and daffs, even grape hyacinths. Lilies and allium's popped up a while ago but then just stopped.
First Spring in a new house and obviously keen to see what i can grow after digging up a third of the garden in the winter.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 5 Apr 2013 - 2:21 PM
SlowSong
5 Apr 2013 - 6:44 PM

There's a lot more acitivity around the feeders now. I reckon they're all getting geared up for new arrivals.
And some very fat woodpigeons indeed!
Smile

SlowSong
27 Apr 2013 - 12:53 PM

Had some excitement in the garden this morning. A lovely sparrowhawk had caught a starling and was plucking away at it when two rather pesky magpies turned up wanting a piece of the action. The hawk finally saw them off and carried its prey to under a bush, but then the local moggy turned up and it flew away. Still grasping its dinner though. Lovely to see, and we do have a few starlings to spare around my way. Smile Here are a few pics.

img-7113-resized.jpg

img-7120-resized.jpg

img-7125-resized.jpg

img-7127-resized.jpg

img-7128-resized.jpg

img-7130-resized.jpg

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43858 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2013 - 1:57 PM

Wow, Chris. How lucky you are to have witnessed that...Marvellous action.

Malc

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.