Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
2 May 2013 4:39PM
I've just seen a female Blackcap in my garden. They are summer visiting warblers and this is the first time I've ever seen one. In these northern parts they are pretty rare so it was a nice surprise to have one visit. Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
2 May 2013 4:44PM
That's a nice find, pretty little birds aren't they, we are lucky enough to have an over-wintering pair down here on the Dorsetshire coast Smile

I was a bit grumpy a few days back when a fairly ordinary (but different) little brown job arrived for a short visit and sung us the most amazing song, but kept just out of shot. Checking other peoples images it turned out to have been one of the incoming Nightingales on its way further North. The first time we have had one in our garden - and I missed it! Wink

We are now seeing our usual range of Bees, Hoverflies and a few Butterflies but not in any numbers
KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
2 May 2013 4:53PM
Heaps of hoverflies, bumble bees, bee flies and one wasp! Smile

...........oh, and a small white butterfly (not sure what it was, pretty sure it wasn't a female Orange Tip (the underwings were plain)!
brian1208 e2
2 May 2013 5:13PM
We saw an orange tip darting about in a garden down in Cornwall on Monday but none here yet
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
2 May 2013 8:17PM
Short footage taken last night of two of the rescued juvenile hedgehogs we've recently released back into the wild of our garden.

adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
3 May 2013 9:44AM
A grey quirrel sitting on our fence this morning.
First time I have ever seen one in this part of the village, as we're surrounded by other houses.
Don't know why it should be here as we don't put out peanuts for the birds, only grains.
NaturesHaven e2
3 260 5 England
3 May 2013 9:55AM
Spotted a male Blackcap this morning...........we had a pair of Blackcaps last year so hopefully they have both returned to breed...........planting some Bamboo, cleaning the pond and refilling with fresh water, new plants and a new fountain............given the neighbours some Rudd, we had to many and they had to few so helped re-stock their pond.............fish are now happily swimming around their new abode, off to get some young fish for our pond............to join the others. The birds are busy nesting, the Robins are in a feeding frenzy, so can't wait for the young to appear..................more photo opportunities.

The Hedgehogs are out and about feeding on the food we leave out for them...............the sunflowers are growing nicely in the Greenhouse............won't be long before they go outside.............

A beautiful sunny day here in Lincolnshire...............hope it is as nice where you are.............enjoy your day.............GrinGrinGrin

Off to clean the bird feeders and bird baths.................TTFN.............GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
3 May 2013 9:59AM
My neighbour cut my grass for me yesterday which one hand is very nice and helpful but on the other I was going to pick some daisies to photograph this weekend and now they've all been chopped off! I think I'll get some going as ground cover in one of the borders so they'll be safe from the mower Smile

The pond needs topping up yet again - ok I like it being sunny and not raining etc - but the pond level keeps dropping (not that the frogs care) and the pots are all drying out. A massive 10 minute downpour every few days would do (as long as I'm inside keeping dry) !
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
3 May 2013 10:20AM

Quote:A grey quirrel sitting on our fence this morning.
First time I have ever seen one in this part of the village, as we're surrounded by other houses.
Don't know why it should be here as we don't put out peanuts for the birds, only grains.

Our greys eat peanuts, bird food, fats and bread. Now we have two youngsters who've learned some very useful (for them) lessons from their scavenging parents. But it is fun seeing them scampering around the fences and trees. Smile

Quote: the pots are all drying out. A massive 10 minute downpour every few days would do (as long as I'm inside keeping dry) !
I so agree Alison. Going around with two watering cans every day is a real faff. I'll have to get the hose out.

Just cut the lawn again but I'm leaving the bottom half underneath the cherry tree to grow wild so I get some lovely little daisies and worts and stuff. That leads on to the wildlife garden corner. Mind you, I think only mice live in the wildlife corner, which seems to attract various cats who sit there mesmerised for ages, just staring. And for the first time in months I've cleaned the windows so now I can see out properly. Smile
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
3 May 2013 6:37PM
Some footage of the hedgehogs having a few disputes over food and territory in the garden last night. It looks brutal, but they'll all be back for more tonight I've no doubt Tongue

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
3 May 2013 10:28PM
Aw, nice of you to post the videos on here. I can't get your photostream so it's lovely to see what's going on.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
6 May 2013 4:05PM
This morning I saved a starling from annihalation via magpie, savage things. The mapgies then hovered in the nearby tree watching as the starling limped off behind a bush so I scared them off with a few stones. I was happy to see the starling fly off after a short period of recovery. It was quite viscious, but it was interesting to see the other starlings crowding round and shouting at the magpie.

Later the squirrel turned up for his elevensies. Nothing's safe from these guys so I've given up, especially as there are a couple of youngsters around now so pinching the bird food has become a family outing every day. Smile

img-6891-resized.jpg

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
6 May 2013 7:47PM
Wood Mouse muscling in on the hedgehog cams last night Smile

brian1208 e2
7 May 2013 6:16AM
the colour is beginning to return to the garden with most of the dwarf acers now in full leaf, the camellia doing its usual blowsy show and the clematis budding all over the place. The large orange / red plant through the arch is our Pieris forestii which worried my wife last year by sulking a bit but its gone mad this year Smile

We are seeing some butterfly action too and the bees and Hovers are bginning to show, if a bit intermittently at the moment

garden-exr-hdr-may.jpg

Apart from a few pots + any new plantings we never have to water our shingle based garden (into its 16th year now) anything that can't cope with this dies and is replaced with plants that can survive. Its worked fine so far with the biggest problem being to control all the "Self-seeds" from those plants that thrive on neglect! Grin
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
8 May 2013 8:02AM
I've just realised; it's only 6 weeks until midsummer and still we don't have leaves on the trees. Brrrrrr.

On a happier note I've now seen a male Blackcap in the garden so the female I mentioned a few days ago looks like she has a mate.

I hope your weather is better than ours.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.