Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84280 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Quote: I've just realised; it's only 6 weeks until midsummer and still we don't have leaves on the trees. Brrrrrr.

I was thinking that the other day - the walnut trees are still bare, with no hint of buds!

Also, I haven't noticed the usual clouds of black St. Mark's Flies (the flies that don't move out of your way and fly with their legs dangling down!), they usually appear in April. But, there are ticks about! Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
8 May 2013 - 1:05 PM

Me too, was just thinking yesterday, still feels chilly, and not long to midsummer.
I was going to post it in the grumpy forum!
The bluebells were a week late compared to previous years, and the Clematis more like two weeks.
On the upside ... well ... there is an upside isn't there ?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2013 - 4:49 PM

A few pics from our little garden - less than 40ft x 40ft (whilst playing with the XS-1 + velvia setting)

garden-to-studio.jpg

pieris-corner.jpg

rhubarb---tulips.jpg

tulips-and-wallflowers.jpg

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 9:00 AM

I love your garden Brian. Fancy coming round and doing mine? Smile It's positively desert-like in comparison. And I bet you get lots of lovely bees too.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 9:05 AM

Thanks Chris, all you need (for a 40ft sq plot) is to dig everything out, load it with compost and soil improver, cover it with permeable membrane and topload around 4.5 ton of local shingle. Then stick the plants in and watch them grow! Grin

Oh yes, the bees, the houses were built on old meadow land so we have many different species of Bee (around 12 on my last count) + a load of different species of Hoverfly (6+ different species and I'm still discovering others) Its a bug shooters paradise - ain't I lucky Wink

Last Modified By brian1208 at 11 May 2013 - 9:06 AM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Quote: Thanks Chris, all you need (for a 40ft sq plot) is to dig everything out, load it with compost and soil improver, cover it with permeable membrane and topload around 4.5 ton of local shingle. Then stick the plants in and watch them grow!

I can do weeding and watering. Smile

brian1208
12 May 2013 - 6:18 AM

Chris, you won't need to, its lazy gardening.

The whole point of this is that I never need to water anything except for new planting and the very few pots we have. What you see in the shots hasn't been watered (apart from that by nature) in over 13 years Grin

Weeds don't get much of a chance either so all you are left with is controlling the manic growth of the plants and pulling out self-seeds to pot on or give to others

SlowSong
15 May 2013 - 9:38 AM

At the moment, perching in a very windblown cherry tree in my garden, are starlings, a big black crow, two magpies, two doves and a woodpigeon. Smile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2013 - 9:40 AM

A Blackbird seems to have taken up guard duty sitting on top of the yew hedge by the front door, seems quite unfazed by parking next to it my multiple trips back and forth unloading shopping.
The tulips are going over and the lily of the valley coming into flower.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2013 - 2:44 PM

Blackbirds, thrushes and squadrons of goldfinches taking it in turn to shower in the pond cascade. Green and goldfinches lining up for the feeders and (fat) woodpigeons waiting for the discarded seed.

Tadpoles developing legs, newts still in hiding and pond skaters enjoying the lack of wind.

Clematis and apple flowering, beetroot planted out, strawberries transferred to a hanging cascade thing.

It's all go!

SlowSong
16 May 2013 - 3:09 PM

Quote: and (fat) woodpigeons

I know! Mine too! Enormous. Grin

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
16 May 2013 - 9:16 PM

Snake's head fritillary flowered and drying back, Clematis Montana is only budding at present and I'm the winner over the squirrel at present stopping him raiding the bird feeder Wink

SlowSong
17 May 2013 - 9:17 AM

We now have three squirrels in the garden, all digging up the lawn or trying to grab what another one's got. What with them and about 30 pigeons my garden seems to be Rat Central. Although I don't mind the squirrels.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2013 - 1:35 PM

Weeds, Arrrgh - Lots of fresh dug soil in our new garden after 3 years of the previous occupants allowing nettles and anything else that fancies a go free run. e.g. Chickweed, wild strawberry type thing, dandelion and loads of unknowns.

Lots of cosmos & foxglove too so its not all bad, but lots of weeding this weekend is required - should be rain free Saturday Smile.

p.s we have had our first, small, rhubarb crop Smile

SlowSong
19 May 2013 - 5:26 PM

I've got some clearing up to do. Or shall I save it for the fox who'll visit later on? First, the sparrowhawk gets a pigeon, then the crow scares it off and carries on feeding. Flamin' 'eck! What a mess they've made on my lawn, and the shouting from the other birds is mad! This is when I'd really like a good 500m lens, and clean windows. Grin

1-img-7229-resized2.jpg

img-7220-resized.jpg

img-0186-resized2.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.