Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54168 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2013 - 1:33 PM

Well, it's been a great year for garden birds. I looked out at the feeders just now, which were full this morning, and there must have been about 40 sparrows on or about them. I think they must have had three broods this year. This is only a small selection. There was another big gang in the bush on the left, which unfortunately will be ripped out by the developers of the house next door soon. Sad

p1010666-resized.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Sep 2013 - 1:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84245 forum postsKarenFB vcard England161 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2013 - 4:49 PM

Lol! I watched a programme the other day, where the presenter was bewailing the fact there were no Sparrows any more!! (My daughter has a gang of about 15 who sit in her hedge, waiting their turn at next door's feeders!) Smile

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84245 forum postsKarenFB vcard England161 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2013 - 2:02 PM

It should have stayed in the garden - Autumn must definitely be with us..................the first GIGANTIC (no I didn't take photos) spider has just been ejected from the house.

I say ejected, I'm sorry but it was so big I couldn't bear to touch it - I bravely used the hoover. I took the hoover out in the rain, to empty it, but couldn't actually locate the spider amongst the fluff and dust, so I'm hoping it's not now lurking in the understair cupboard. Tongue

*shudder*

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54168 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2013 - 4:05 PM

Well, the weeds are taking over. I seem to have a covering of shamrock-shaped purple leaves which are encroaching on every inch of earth. They produce little yellow flowers but I can't find out what they are. Anyway, they're not the only invaders. I caught this big guy having a nice drink out of the bird bowl this morning. They seem to be HUGE this year. This one even blew a little bubble. Smile

img-7585-resized.jpg

img-7588-resized.jpg

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110149 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2013 - 4:31 PM

Our garden has become an assault course when trying to dodge all the monster Garden Orb Spider webs which are now enormous (as are the spiders! Tongue )

I like them when its rained or they have dew on them but my wife insists on destroying all their hard work (but they come back at night when she is sleeping, bigger and better than ever Grin )

Autumn Crocuses are in full bloom but its time to cut down a lot of the other perennials and annuals and the runner beans are in the bin.

Did anyone else think it was a very short season for macro-shooting this year? most of my bugs seem to have cleared off already

SlowSong
25 Sep 2013 - 4:45 PM

Re my slugs above, does anyone know what the thing is on its head? Is it an eye or a blow hole?
I meant to ask in my post.

mikehit
mikehit  46103 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2013 - 4:50 PM

That hole is the pneumostome and is a breathing hole

KarenFB
25 Sep 2013 - 6:14 PM

Quote: monster Garden Orb Spider webs which are now enormous (as are the spiders!)

Which I found out, when I put my hand to my head whilst working at the computer!!! Tongue - I'd only walked out to the car and back!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110149 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2013 - 6:21 PM

Quote: Which I found out, when I put my hand to my head whilst working at the computer!!!

Bet you weren't pestered by flies though Karen Grin

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2013 - 7:27 PM

Loads of shrooms this morning, of 2 varieties, as shown below

img-2183.jpg

img-2184.jpg

Anybody able to make an identification?

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2013 - 7:27 PM

Aha, seems to be a little rotation problem. Smile

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2013 - 11:36 PM

Quote: and the runner beans are in the bin.

We're just starting to pick ours!

brian1208
26 Sep 2013 - 5:18 AM

you are a bit closer to the Artic Circle than us though Adrian Wink

How's you crop this year, we seem to have had very good pickings off only 5 plants, with several pounds of beans in the freezer

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2013 - 4:52 PM

They're doing much better than last year, had 3 picks so far & plenty more to come. 6 yong plants planted & 1 succumbed to the slugs so a new seed was put in & germinated quickly. Now you can't tell any difference to the pre-germinated ones.
Last year they were abysmal partly due to the weather but mostly due to an invasion of molluscs. One night I removed 30 of the little b*****ds from the planter.

brian1208
26 Sep 2013 - 5:46 PM

Quote: an invasion of molluscs. One night I removed 30 of the little b*****ds from the planter.

a combination of a shingle garden + a family of Hedgehogs means that we are seeing very few slugs or snails these days Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.