Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84308 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2013 - 7:25 AM

I could see a flashing light outside, I thought perhaps the in-laws had called an ambulance, so dashed out to see what was going on - suddenly a huge rumble of thunder!!! I've never 'seen' such a long episode in a thunder storm!! It is raining, but that seems to have been the first and last thank goodness!

Last Modified By KarenFB at 28 Sep 2013 - 7:26 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Sep 2013 - 7:25 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64529 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2013 - 5:34 PM

The people in the other garden to the back of us are about to chop down a magnificent tree at the end of their garden. I'm heartbroken. We used to be surrounded by lovely trees and bushes, but gradually the new people moving into the area are chopping everything down and adding concrete carports and extension to their houses instead. Now all we'll see is the backs of houses instead of glorious greenery. We won't hear any birdsong around here at all soon. All I can do is keep feeding the birds and hope the wildlife finds other perches and nesting sites. A very sad day indeed. SadSadSad

Last Modified By SlowSong at 29 Sep 2013 - 5:35 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110365 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2013 - 8:11 PM

I can sympathise with you, we lost all our local Oak trees down my road to this Oak Die Back Disease, makes the garden look horribly bare and we no longer see our more interesting species of bird and bug that used them as a safe corridor up from the river.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64529 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2013 - 9:03 PM

Well, if it's a natural occurence, however awful, it's sort of slightly better than deliberate destruction. At least everything has a bit of time to regroup. When people just chop things down out of nowhere the poor wildlife doesn't know which way to go. I hate it. And I despise my new neighbours.

SlowSong
30 Sep 2013 - 3:43 PM

The lovely garden next door is decimated. I can't bear to look at it. And not a hint of birdsong.
I have asked our local council if the other neighbours over the back need permission to cut down the huge elder tree in their garden but I don't hold out much hope. Sad

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2013 - 12:54 AM

Quote: I have asked our local council if the other neighbours over the back need permission

Depends of course if it has a preservation order that the council will check.

I have a neighbour at the back of me that dislikes trees on the grounds that it puts the garden in shade plus attracts insects, I kid you not. He had a sycamore felled which over the years he kept chopping bits off which of course encouraged more growth.
I no longer see green but the rear of his house leading me to consider planting bamboo avoiding the runner type
Many councils on the other hand have planted sycamores that over the years has caused damage to drainage and buildings.

SlowSong
17 Oct 2013 - 3:57 PM

I've been out in the garden today faffing about and noticed that there are hundreds of ladybirds around, some with lots of spots and some with few. Some with red spots on black bodies and all sorts of variations. Has anyone else noticed them in their garden? Perhaps the warm weather has brought them out. Yesterday it was chucking it down but today it's sunny and warm.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 17 Oct 2013 - 3:58 PM
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96092 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2013 - 4:05 PM

The windows of my office building -and in every room I think - have a good quantity of ladybirds wandering about. There are about 10 on my window at the moment.

That's not a fraction of the amount there have been in previous years though - yep - it happens frequently here at least!

SlowSong
26 Oct 2013 - 8:20 PM

A homing/racing pigeon has been hanging around on its own in my garden today. It's got two rings on its legs. I've tried enticing it close with seeds, but it's wary when I try to pick it up. I'm not sure what to do if I see it again tomorrow, what with the nasty weather coming. Perhaps it's gone off course. Anyone know about pigeons?

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 8:39 PM

I had the exact same thing a few years back, I did catch it...and then phoned the owner from the number on its ring...he asked if I could feed it which I did but I had to move it to a friends house in the next village in a box as we had a cat!!
The weather was poor and not dissimilar to what we have now and the owner asked for it to be kept till the weather cleared, which my friend didnt do..he let it go and it came back to my house and then dissapeared and 45 mins later my phone rung and the owner was chuffed to have it back in what was a 90 mins drive from my house!!

If you catch it put it in a box with food in a shed and wait for the weather to clear

SlowSong
26 Oct 2013 - 8:43 PM

Thank you lawbert. I'm just afraid it might belong to someone abroad or a long way away. But if I see it tomorrow I'll have another go.
Smile

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 8:49 PM

Mine came from scotland...all the way down to Essex and just got a bit worn out and then made its way back the last few miles once it had rested...Dont fret if you cant capture it Wink
You have done your best by just being concerned for its welfareWink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 9:25 PM

Quote: I've been out in the garden today faffing about and noticed that there are hundreds of ladybirds around, some with lots of spots and some with few. Some with red spots on black bodies and all sorts of variations. Has anyone else noticed them in their garden? Perhaps the warm weather has brought them out. Yesterday it was chucking it down but today it's sunny and warm.

I`ve seen a fair few as well, there have been plenty about.

Reminds of this, not in this kind of number though Smile

http://vimeo.com/groups/lensbaby/videos/5645695

SlowSong
26 Oct 2013 - 9:50 PM

Thanks lawbert. You've put my mind at rest.
Smile

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84308 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2013 - 7:21 AM

Back in 2007 I had the same experience - we named him Percy.

42656-1188383511.jpg

The first time we released him about a mile down the road and he returned - the second time we took him nearer to the M5, he found his way home to his owner within 40 mins.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.