Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
18 Feb 2014 4:46PM
I saw one of those in my daughter's garden today...............I also saw a butterfly!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2014 4:50PM
Was it a Red Admiral Karen? Ours over-winter and also venture out at the warmer moments in the Winter, looking a bit tatty by now (I think we also have a Comma show itself pretty soon as they also over-winter in our garden - tough little things)
18 Feb 2014 4:56PM
It was quite large, but I didn't get close enough to see which one it was!
21 Feb 2014 7:24AM
Perhaps not a 'Garden' subject, but still a head's up to those it matters. Paddy came in yesterday with a tick! Tongue (A tick in February, I couldn't believe it!!!)
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
21 Feb 2014 9:31AM

Quote:Perhaps not a 'Garden' subject, but still a head's up to those it matters. Paddy came in yesterday with a tick! Tongue (A tick in February, I couldn't believe it!!!)
Yuk! Never had to deal with one of those, and hopefully won't get any in my garden. Although we do get fleas prancing around in the grass. Woke a load up the other day when I was moving bricks.
21 Feb 2014 12:35PM

Quote:Although we do get fleas prancing around

Not sure they'd be fleas..................probably Springtails. Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
21 Feb 2014 4:09PM

Quote:Although we do get fleas prancing around

Not sure they'd be fleas..................probably Springtails. Smile

Well, they're too small and springy for me to get a good look at, but they jump about like fleas. GrinGrinGrin I'll look up springtails though just in case. I wonder if Frontline would work on them. Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
6 Mar 2014 10:27AM
The best I can do with a 280mm lens from my garden, but just lovely to see the resourceful magpies busily nestbuilding. They're not stupid; this big tree hangs over my garden from where they'll have a birdseye view of the food I put out. Grin

img-2034-resized.jpg

brian1208 e2
6 Mar 2014 12:16PM
Loads of nice bird life beginning to stir, we have an over-wintering family of Chiffchaffs that nest nearby and one has started visiting on a regular basis, a Goldcrest popped in the other day, we have a resident pair of Robins + and interloper trying to get in on the act (could be trouble ahead Smile ), Bluetit, Great tit and Goldfinch are also showing so happy times ahead. The "Spring Flower garden" (all 4ft square of it) is in full bloom and the rhubarb is growing - could Spring really be on the way at last! Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
6 Mar 2014 12:45PM

Quote:Loads of nice bird life beginning to stir, we have an over-wintering family of Chiffchaffs that nest nearby and one has started visiting on a regular basis, a Goldcrest popped in the other day, we have a resident pair of Robins + and interloper trying to get in on the act (could be trouble ahead Smile ), Bluetit, Great tit and Goldfinch are also showing so happy times ahead. The "Spring Flower garden" (all 4ft square of it) is in full bloom and the rhubarb is growing - could Spring really be on the way at last! Smile
Show off!!! GrinGrinGrin

BTW, even my humble magpie looks as if he's a bit of a scamp. He's collecting twigs for one nest I can see, but also flying off with twigs to another location! I wonder if his Mrs knows. Grin

And I get three male robins regularly feed in my garden at the same time. Is this unusual?
brian1208 e2
6 Mar 2014 2:49PM

Quote:And I get three male robins regularly feed in my garden at the same time. Is this unusual?

so I have been led to believe (but what do I know? Wink )
bricurtis e2
9 1.9k 48 England
6 Mar 2014 4:34PM

Quote:And I get three male robins regularly feed in my garden at the same time. Is this unusual?

How do you know they are 3 males ?? both sexes have identical plumage.Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
6 Mar 2014 5:07PM
Oh, I thought the females had brown tummies. Blush
brian1208 e2
6 Mar 2014 5:33PM
they do, but they cover it up with a Red Vest Grin
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
6 Mar 2014 5:55PM

Quote:They do, but they cover it up with a Red Vest Grin
That's not true, is it? Blush

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.