Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91899 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2014 - 9:41 PM

Quote: Oh, I thought the females had brown tummies. Blush

The young Robins are brown and speckled ..... but when winter arrives that's when the Red vests come out.Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Mar 2014 - 9:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64345 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2014 - 9:47 PM

I need to read up on robins, obviously. I'm no ornithologist, I just feed all the blighters. Grin

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014639 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2014 - 11:54 PM

I've never seen one of your robins; ours are the American robin, bigger, and they don't eat seeds. They feed on earthworms mainly.

petebfrance
8 Mar 2014 - 6:26 PM

Sunshine today and a butterfly that stayed around long enough to have it's photo takenSmile

Some new neighbours moved in recently. Newly constructed house, ancient hedgerows bull-dozed down and now the west wind sweeps across the garden - I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it. Still, the wind took an old Lilac tree down so we'll hopefully get less hay-fever this year.....

Last Modified By petebfrance at 8 Mar 2014 - 6:29 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2014 - 6:45 PM

Spring is definitely on the way, I got my first Hoverfly shot today, the gnats have started swarming and, maybe as a result, I've just seen my first bat of the year (I must find a way of getting a shot of one of those some day but they are so unpredictable and fly so erratically I suspect it may be a long time coming Smile )

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84270 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2014 - 11:04 AM

The weather is wonderful today, hot sunshine, not a cloud in the sky - absolutely brilliant!

Hubby is doing the first mow of the year..................he must be enjoying it, he's done the 'lawn' area and is now disappearing into the trees!! Grin I've been out for a few hours gardening (had enough now, I've come in to cook lunch!).

It's the Toad's turn for the garden pond, I've seen a Small Tortoiseshell fluttering about, several Bumble Bees and my first Bee Fly of the season!! Grin

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2014 - 11:11 AM

Quote: Hubby is doing the first mow of the year.

My lawn is still too wet but I have managed to give it a light rake last week.
I suppose one of those hover type lawnmowers might be OK but I have an old fashioned mower that needs pushing by hand and has rotating blades ! !

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64345 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2014 - 1:28 PM

Just planted two Cherry Laurel bushes to hide the white plastic monstrosity the new neighbours call a garage. They grow big and fast so hopefully we'll have something nice to look out on soon. Smile

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2014 - 1:37 PM

Quote: I've just seen my first bat of the year (I must find a way of getting a shot of one of those some day but they are so unpredictable and fly so erratically I suspect it may be a long time coming Smile )

Brian,
Have you come across the photography of Stephen Dalton ?
He lives just up the road from me and is an expert, albeit with sophisticated high speed flash techniques.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2014 - 2:59 PM

Quote: Have you come across the photography of Stephen Dalton ?
He lives just up the road from me and is an expert, albeit with sophisticated high speed flash techniques

Yes, I used to have some of his books and I believe he had an exhibition at our local Highcliffe Castle a while back. As you say, very sophisticated and clever techniques but not something I could do in my garden as they are just "Fly byes" Smile

brian1208
9 Mar 2014 - 3:02 PM

I was out having a snooze in the sun a few minutes ago when the heavy drone of a Bumble woke me, she was fanning my face with her wings (it was our resident Queen Buff tail).

Needless to say, when I woke up properly and grabbed my camera she had flown away giggling but it was lovely to see her Smile

She's busy looking for a nest site at the moment so is spending a lot of time flying low and inspecting suitable corners in the garden

SlowSong
9 Mar 2014 - 7:05 PM

Had two peacock butterflies land in the garden today. Amazing - I don't remember seeing any before.
Smile

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91899 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2014 - 8:47 PM

We had a Peacock and a Tortoiseshell butterfly on our large perennial Wallflower today. Both very faded and tatty - last years modelsWink and a beautiful male Brimstone briefly fluttered in and out of the garden.
Two different Bees on Pulmonaria flowers and a couple of Lady birds basking in the sun on our green composting bin.
Things are looking up.Smile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53579 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2014 - 9:01 PM

We had a Peacock butterfly and a brimstone in the garden a few times today, and i also found half a small pure white egg with some fresh yolk - birds must be nesting. Scattered about a ton of sharp sand on the moss lawn too. A few bats tonight flitting for bugs. Even had a daisy in the lawn. I love this weather.

SlowSong
9 Mar 2014 - 9:23 PM

Aw, a daisy. Smile One of my favourite flowers.
x

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.