Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

bricurtis e2
9 1.9k 48 England
6 Mar 2014 9:41PM

Quote:Oh, I thought the females had brown tummies. Blush

The young Robins are brown and speckled ..... but when winter arrives that's when the Red vests come out.Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
6 Mar 2014 9:47PM
I need to read up on robins, obviously. I'm no ornithologist, I just feed all the blighters. Grin
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
6 Mar 2014 11:54PM
I've never seen one of your robins; ours are the American robin, bigger, and they don't eat seeds. They feed on earthworms mainly.
petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
8 Mar 2014 6:26PM
Sunshine today and a butterfly that stayed around long enough to have it's photo takenSmile

Some new neighbours moved in recently. Newly constructed house, ancient hedgerows bull-dozed down and now the west wind sweeps across the garden - I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it. Still, the wind took an old Lilac tree down so we'll hopefully get less hay-fever this year.....
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2014 6:45PM
Spring is definitely on the way, I got my first Hoverfly shot today, the gnats have started swarming and, maybe as a result, I've just seen my first bat of the year (I must find a way of getting a shot of one of those some day but they are so unpredictable and fly so erratically I suspect it may be a long time coming Smile )
KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
9 Mar 2014 11:04AM
The weather is wonderful today, hot sunshine, not a cloud in the sky - absolutely brilliant!

Hubby is doing the first mow of the year..................he must be enjoying it, he's done the 'lawn' area and is now disappearing into the trees!! Grin I've been out for a few hours gardening (had enough now, I've come in to cook lunch!).

It's the Toad's turn for the garden pond, I've seen a Small Tortoiseshell fluttering about, several Bumble Bees and my first Bee Fly of the season!! Grin
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
9 Mar 2014 11:11AM

Quote:Hubby is doing the first mow of the year.

My lawn is still too wet but I have managed to give it a light rake last week.
I suppose one of those hover type lawnmowers might be OK but I have an old fashioned mower that needs pushing by hand and has rotating blades ! !
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
9 Mar 2014 1:28PM
Just planted two Cherry Laurel bushes to hide the white plastic monstrosity the new neighbours call a garage. They grow big and fast so hopefully we'll have something nice to look out on soon. Smile
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
9 Mar 2014 1:37PM

Quote:I've just seen my first bat of the year (I must find a way of getting a shot of one of those some day but they are so unpredictable and fly so erratically I suspect it may be a long time coming Smile )

Brian,
Have you come across the photography of Stephen Dalton ?
He lives just up the road from me and is an expert, albeit with sophisticated high speed flash techniques.
brian1208 e2
9 Mar 2014 2:59PM

Quote:Have you come across the photography of Stephen Dalton ?
He lives just up the road from me and is an expert, albeit with sophisticated high speed flash techniques

Yes, I used to have some of his books and I believe he had an exhibition at our local Highcliffe Castle a while back. As you say, very sophisticated and clever techniques but not something I could do in my garden as they are just "Fly byes" Smile
brian1208 e2
9 Mar 2014 3:02PM
I was out having a snooze in the sun a few minutes ago when the heavy drone of a Bumble woke me, she was fanning my face with her wings (it was our resident Queen Buff tail).

Needless to say, when I woke up properly and grabbed my camera she had flown away giggling but it was lovely to see her Smile

She's busy looking for a nest site at the moment so is spending a lot of time flying low and inspecting suitable corners in the garden
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
9 Mar 2014 7:05PM
Had two peacock butterflies land in the garden today. Amazing - I don't remember seeing any before.
Smile
bricurtis e2
9 1.9k 48 England
9 Mar 2014 8:47PM
We had a Peacock and a Tortoiseshell butterfly on our large perennial Wallflower today. Both very faded and tatty - last years modelsWink and a beautiful male Brimstone briefly fluttered in and out of the garden.
Two different Bees on Pulmonaria flowers and a couple of Lady birds basking in the sun on our green composting bin.
Things are looking up.Smile
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2014 9:01PM
We had a Peacock butterfly and a brimstone in the garden a few times today, and i also found half a small pure white egg with some fresh yolk - birds must be nesting. Scattered about a ton of sharp sand on the moss lawn too. A few bats tonight flitting for bugs. Even had a daisy in the lawn. I love this weather.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
9 Mar 2014 9:23PM
Aw, a daisy. Smile One of my favourite flowers.
x

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.