Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 12:41 PM

My first Brimstone of the year, sunning itself on our Pieris Forrestii shot with the 75-300 mk 2 on my EM-5

(its so nice to see these again, real harbingers of Spring Smile )

brinstone-75-300-10-3-14.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Mar 2014 - 12:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84270 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 4:05 PM

I've just picked in my first line dried laundry of the year. Smile

I was on the way back to the house when the **** pheasant raced me to the door. I tried shouting and using my foot to 'encourage' him to fly away and the little s*d tried to 'spur' me!!! I had to use the garden fork to keep lifting him and trying to get him to fly away. All the way to the bottom of the garden and over the hedge!!

He still beat me back to the house...................if he doesn't pack it in, his days are numbered!!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 4:20 PM

You should have opened the oven and invited him for dinner Karen Grin

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84270 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2014 - 6:34 PM

I think it's going to come to that unfortunately - he spotted me doing the washing up and was pacing up and down the wall outside trying to find a way in to get me!! I have heard they can be nasty creatures, but this is a first for me!...............funnily enough it's scared of Taffy, who takes great delight in stalking it and leaping for its tail!

brian1208
11 Mar 2014 - 4:28 PM

A real surprise today, I heard what I thought was a Bumble bee but there was no sign of it. As I moved away I spotted a Hummingbird Hawk Moth at my feed, feeding on one of our primulas. I didn't have time to check the settings but luckily I had the macro lens on and managed two shots before it beggared off into our neighbours garden (I'm hoping it ma visit again tomorrow when I will be ready for it Smile

Anyway, here's my not very good shot of it

(As I haven't seen one for a few years I was delighted to see it, even though I suspect it may not survive as its incredibly early for it to be about. It must have either over-wintered in hibernation or just hatched, more likely as it looked pristine)

hummingbird-hawk-moth.jpg

ali63
ali63 e2 Member 2474 forum postsali63 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2014 - 4:36 PM

Bumble Bee feeding on my hardy Cyclamen, managed a few shots with the 400mm, shot taken yesterday.img-8045.jpg

KarenFB
11 Mar 2014 - 5:53 PM

That is really early for a Hummingbird Hawk Moth - I've just found it in my book and it says they are summer visitors to Britain, though it may occasionally survive mild winters in the South!! I'd be quite chuffed if I'd caught it half as good!

brian1208
11 Mar 2014 - 6:30 PM

yep, I could hardly believe it when I spotted it - but there it was Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64341 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2014 - 6:42 PM

How lovely Brian. Smile I've never even seen a humming bird hawkmoth, let alone heard one. Well done for getting the shot - that's the important thing.
I'm not really envious (much). Sad
x

brian1208
12 Mar 2014 - 4:04 PM

A typical early Spring day in my garden, the hoverflies were out and teasing me by posing just too far away for the macro and just too near for the 75-300 and when they weren't doing that they were perching on my bald bonce (creating fits of giggles from my wife Sad ) Grin

Add to that the Bumblebee and a Peacock butterfly playing "We're over here" from different parts of the garden - I can see they haven't lost their sense of humour over the Winter!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014626 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2014 - 11:43 PM

hungarian-partridge-3200018.jpg

Bumblebees? They wouldn't last long in our garden. Took this today.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014626 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2014 - 10:53 PM

woodpecker-3210020.jpg

A rare visitor to our garden a few minutes ago.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114491 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2014 - 11:57 AM

As your probably all aware I haven't been on EPZ much since our house move down to Dartmoor. Reasons for this are varied but mostly consist of the fact I've been busy getting the new house up together so wifey won't be nagging at me to do any DIY etc in the summer months. But I have put my head above the parapet on occasion just to let folk know I'm still alive and kicking......JUST

However, we have kept an eye on what's been coming into our new garden since the move and so far we've recorded (although I haven't any photographic evidence to prove it as I still haven't got to the packing boxes with all the camera gear in them, that's going to be addressed this w/e) we have seen mostly the usual suspects of Tits, Blue, Coal, Marsh, Great, LTT's etc, of real note though is the regular visits by Woodpecker, both Green, Spotted and Lesser Spotted, Siskins, Goldfinch, Grey Wagtail and something I'd never seen until the other day a Yellowhammer, which was a real surprise. All a bit different to the more usual Starlings and Dunnocks of our last home and something were really enjoying watching.

As most folk know at our last home we were very lucky to have a lot of hedgehogs in the garden, well last night I dug out one of the Stealth Cams and am pleased to report we had several visits throughout the night by at least two different specimens. So it looks like I'm going to be able to take up where I left of with my work in helping keep these endangered little critters stay safe and healthy. Once I get my website up and running again, I'll have a live video feed showing the hogs going about their business as I had before we moved. As you might imagine I'm over the moon about having them here, even though it costs me an arm and a leg to feed and look after them all Smile So as to whet the appetites of those interested in such things, here's a snapshot taken last night of one of our new breed Wink
snapshot-1--03-04-2014-11-26-.jpg
Here's hoping everyone that knows of me are well and are looking forward to the spring/summer months when all the butterflies, moths and all the other creepy crawlies we love come alive, speaking of which I've dug the moth traps out and hope to start recording the local moth population at the weekend, weather permitting Wink Which of course means I'll be back showing off whatever I'm lucky enough to shoot, as they say watch this space Wink

Regards to all..........Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 3 Apr 2014 - 11:59 AM
KarenFB
3 Apr 2014 - 1:09 PM

I'll be watching Ade, can't wait!! Smile

ali63
ali63 e2 Member 2474 forum postsali63 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2014 - 2:01 PM

Glad you have settled in ,look forward to seeing more of your images,

Ali GrinGrin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.