Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64529 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2014 - 6:36 PM

I did read that most bites occurred when people squashed them by mistake or they were trapped in clothing. Very frightening. Did they find the spider to get an accurate diagnosis?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jun 2014 - 6:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2014 - 6:44 PM

No she didn't do anything about the bite while she was away, we found out what it was when she went to the doctors on the Friday.

We get plenty of these at home anyway so she already knew what it was.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64529 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2014 - 7:28 PM

Have just been out and used the hose to water the garden. TBH, it's no bother, it just sits there, so unless I do something stupid I'll just leave it to get on with its life. Now I know what it is I feel more comfortable about it. Smile

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2014 - 10:51 AM

Been very busy painting the exterior walls of our new property, so haven't done much in the way of photography in the last week or so. However, have noticed one or two baby hedgehogs running around feeding at night, so will put the camera traps out tonight and see if I can cobble together some sort of video over the next few days Smile

SlowSong
29 Jun 2014 - 6:13 PM

Have just got a good look at one of the two juvenile wood pigeons that have been nesting in our laburnum tree. Obviously enjoying a good drop of rain. I think these are about 3 weeks old and are doing a lot of flapping about but I've not actually seen them leave the tree yet. Mum's still around anyway. Really cute. Smile

p1020654-resized2.jpg

SlowSong
29 Jun 2014 - 7:07 PM

And a few minutes later, the first fledgling. Smile

p1020656-resized.jpg

SlowSong
30 Jun 2014 - 6:29 PM

This morning I had the sad experience of seeing the rat actually catch a juvenile starling on the ground and run off with the poor bird screeching. It was so horrid I finally got round to setting the rat trap. I HoPE we'll get it and not some poor unsuspecting creature but if it doesn't work we'll have to get the rat man in. I've never had this problem before and it's certainly upset all the bird feeding.
I wonder if this is normal rat behavior. I've not heard of them catching live prey before.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2014 - 10:31 PM

I have more Muntjac deer than I did this time last year, lots and lots of barking Smile a few new babies with possibly a few more on the way.

This one is not one bit timid and eats from my hand.

p630002.jpg

SlowSong
1 Jul 2014 - 7:09 AM

Aw, wanna swap Paul? Smile

Paul Morgan
1 Jul 2014 - 3:01 PM

Bill Oddie has to go in search of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Reeves%27s_Muntjac#p0081gbs

And I get them banging on my back door Smile

SlowSong
2 Jul 2014 - 9:25 PM

I think it was flying ant day today.
Sad

Paul Morgan
2 Jul 2014 - 9:47 PM

The last few nights our cats have been snacking on these, they fetch them in, let them fly around for a bit then eat them, I`m guessing there Elephant hawk moths but I`m no expert Smile

dscf7522--elephant-hawk-moth.jpg

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110363 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2014 - 11:00 PM

yep, Elephant hawk Moth (looks like the male from the large antennae)

(I once found a pupa of one in the garden and was determined to photograph it hatching so sat with it until 3 in the morning. Went to be and got up 3 hours later, when it had hatched - but I got some good shots of it expanding its wings Smile )

Paul Morgan
2 Jul 2014 - 11:25 PM

Quote: I once found a pupa

So had the cats, they had been fetching them in as well Smile

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 3 Jul 2014 - 7:46 AM
Squirrel
Squirrel  7377 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2014 - 9:24 AM

berberis-sawfly.jpg

Morning all.

Berberis Sawfly caterpillar (Arge berberidis)

It is a newish pest first found in UK in 2002. It also affects Mahonia. Berberis especially the purple and pink leaf varieties seem to be the favourite. A heavy infestation can completely de foliate the plant in a matter of days. Recovery is slow but in most cases half the plant dies back.
The Royal Horticultural Society are currently doing a survey on the spread of this pest. Have a look around your garden and if you find it send details to the RHS.

www.rhs.org.uk/science/help-our-research/berberis-sawfly

Squirrel

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.