Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Gary Fong Lightsphere

JamesGarfield 5 915 4 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2011 5:50PM
Hi all

I saw a review of this on youtube and it looks pretty good, has anyone on here got one, if so what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks
James

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

johnp 10 141 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2011 6:56PM
Hi. I was going to buy a Lightsphere but then I asked Marc Byram (google his blog - he has previously recommended this product) and he recommended the newer Gary Fong Whale Tail. There are videos of it on YouTube, including one that compares the Whale Tail and the Lightsphere. Anyway, I bought one and have used it very successfully for weddings with a 5D Mark II and 550EX Speedlite - see here for an example:

It looks quite odd in use, but you can be assured that you'll be the only one at an event using one!!

John
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
8 Jul 2011 7:00PM
I had a LightSphere for my Canon 580EX (sold it with the flash when I got rid of my Canon gear). It thought it was extremely good, especially in situations where bounce flash is out of the question, e.g. high-ceilinged churches etc.

But it did seem way overpriced.
8 Jul 2011 7:13PM
Thanks guys!
bppowell 13 2.1k 2 England
8 Jul 2011 8:27PM
I have one and use it all the time. I would recommend it, would also agree on the pricy tag.

Have a look at the galleries on my web, all of the Society dinner shots were taken using it.

Barry
Picture_Newport 6 659 19 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2011 8:31PM
I also have one and must admit I was surprised at just how good it is, you look like a bit of a plonker, but the results certainly speak for themselves.

Another 'YES' vote here.

Paul
8 Jul 2011 9:02PM
I should have added that the nice thing about the whale tail is that the flash source is always above the lens axis, regardless of whether you shoot in landscape or portrait mode. That's something you don't get with the standard lightsphere.
8 Jul 2011 10:44PM
Thanks everyone, I'll search around for the best price.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
8 Jul 2011 10:49PM
You should be able to find similar but cheaper stuff on eBay, without the name.
8 Jul 2011 10:49PM
Tell us what you buy, James. I found there were various light sphere models available and had trouble deciding which to go for. Swapping to the Whale Tail full kit solved that problem for me!
John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.