Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gary Fong Lightsphere

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JamesGarfield

Hi all

I saw a review of this on youtube and it looks pretty good, has anyone on here got one, if so what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks
    James

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Jul 2011 - 5:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

johnp
    johnp  9135 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Jul 2011 - 6:56 PM

Hi. I was going to buy a Lightsphere but then I asked Marc Byram (google his blog - he has previously recommended this product) and he recommended the newer Gary Fong Whale Tail. There are videos of it on YouTube, including one that compares the Whale Tail and the Lightsphere. Anyway, I bought one and have used it very successfully for weddings with a 5D Mark II and 550EX Speedlite - see here for an example:

It looks quite odd in use, but you can be assured that you'll be the only one at an event using one!!

John

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139370 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jul 2011 - 7:00 PM

I had a LightSphere for my Canon 580EX (sold it with the flash when I got rid of my Canon gear). It thought it was extremely good, especially in situations where bounce flash is out of the question, e.g. high-ceilinged churches etc.

But it did seem way overpriced.

JamesGarfield

Thanks guys!

bppowell
    bppowell  122119 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jul 2011 - 8:27 PM

I have one and use it all the time. I would recommend it, would also agree on the pricy tag.

Have a look at the galleries on my web, all of the Society dinner shots were taken using it.

Barry

Picture_Newport

I also have one and must admit I was surprised at just how good it is, you look like a bit of a plonker, but the results certainly speak for themselves.

Another 'YES' vote here.

Paul

johnp
    8 Jul 2011 - 9:02 PM

I should have added that the nice thing about the whale tail is that the flash source is always above the lens axis, regardless of whether you shoot in landscape or portrait mode. That's something you don't get with the standard lightsphere.

JamesGarfield
    8 Jul 2011 - 10:44 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll search around for the best price.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jul 2011 - 10:49 PM

You should be able to find similar but cheaper stuff on eBay, without the name.

johnp
    8 Jul 2011 - 10:49 PM

Tell us what you buy, James. I found there were various light sphere models available and had trouble deciding which to go for. Swapping to the Whale Tail full kit solved that problem for me!
    John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.