Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

GE Awards

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Specific Volunteer Thread Opened.
tj
tj ePHOTOzine Staff 111896 forum poststj vcard England
13 Feb 2014 - 4:26 PM

Hi everyone,

Following feedback from you all, the team and I have been discussing the Guest Editors Award and would like to re-introduce it back into the gallery.

The current plan is to have it work the same it did in the past, but with a few volunteers who manage the scheduling of guest editors.

Before we jump into getting this together we would, of course, like your invaluable input to get it right.
Do you want to see it re-instated?
Was there anything you felt could have improved the GE award system?

We are also looking for volunteers who wish to take part as a GE and/or help manage the guest editors.
Please register your interest (for either post) in this thread.

Thanks in advance,
Tracey

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2014 - 4:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Phil_Restan
13 Feb 2014 - 5:23 PM

Quote:
Do you want to see it re-instated?

Everyone already has the opportunity of giving user awards, isn't this just a way on letting one member give as many user awards as they wish for a week.

Wouldn't it just be better to only allow members to give the one user award each week, then the user award gallery could be the place to go to hopefully see the best images picked by a large number of members instead of just the one guest editor.

Having said that the guest editors did a pretty good job in the past so it wouldn't bother me one way or the other, just my view.
Phil

crookymonsta
crookymonsta e2 Member 6685 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 5:48 PM

If I remember correctly, GE awards were introduced following a degree of criticism of Pete's EC awards. Just like club competition judges, each of us has our own idea of what makes a great photograph and it was always interesting to see where Pete and that week's GE agreed and where they didn't. I would support this being reintroduced.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85867 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 5:56 PM

I normally tend to give my UA to my own genre (Not always though)

When I have carried out the GE duties (3X) I have looked a lot further afield, as I'm sure my selections prove

Definitely has my support for being reintroducedSmile

Adrian

keithh
keithh  1022791 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 6:04 PM

TJ knows how I stand.

(Weight on one leg, drop the hip)

Admin.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 6:17 PM

I know I've moaned about the GEAs in the past, even though I've done it three times, but I feel enough people appreciate them that they do add an inclusiveness to the site. So I'm all in favour of bringing them back and am happy to get involved.

mrswoolybill
mrswoolybill Critique Team 7394 forum postsmrswoolybill vcard United Kingdom970 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 6:21 PM

Quote: If I remember correctly, GE awards were introduced following a degree of criticism of Pete's EC awards.

I well remember the episode, Pete basically said 'If you think you can do better, you're on next week'. The system was somewhat cobbled together at short notice, I think. But it proved popular, and a lot of people valued it as a chance for a second pair of eyes.

Quote: When I have carried out the GE duties (3X) I have looked a lot further afield, as I'm sure my selections prove

That's the difference between GEAs and UAs for a lot of people.

I would be in favour of a return, with some careful thought - maybe just one week a month to reduce admin pressure? A limit to awards available perhaps, and a requirement for someone to have been active on the site for say 6 months already? (There have been instances of new members volunteering and then disappearing...)
Moira

Last Modified By mrswoolybill at 13 Feb 2014 - 6:23 PM
keithh
keithh  1022791 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 6:32 PM

No, you can't limit the number of awards, it makes no sense as you can't control the rate at which people post nor what they post.

The idea of one week per month just means that some people will just hold off until 'award week' thereby making a limit, potentially, even less useful.

Trev_B
Trev_B e2 Member 7102 forum postsTrev_B vcard England63 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 6:34 PM

Quote: Do you want to see it re-instated?

Yes

Quote: Was there anything you felt could have improved the GE award system?

Maybe change the name as to be honest they are not fulfilling an editorial role…… but that is just a minor pointWink

Whoever takes on this for a week gets my vote as looking at all uploads for a week is no mean feat and shows dedication to the siteSmile

Trev

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43642 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 6:48 PM

I am in favour of putting a reasonable cap on the number of awards given in any week as there have been a few instances of people going OTT with the number of awards given.

This would also make the GE think more closely about the technical and æsthetic qualities of images, looking in more detail because they have to choose and cannot give to unlimited images.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012548 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 6:56 PM

I'd like to see them back, if you want help organising i dont mind, will go with the virtual flow Grin

I did get a daily fix from the EC, HC and GE galleries and can be quite inspirational.

I can understand the call for a cap but dont think that would help, as you really cant predict what will come up and it would be so unfair for an image to miss out if a cap had already been reached.

franken
franken e2 Member 113054 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 7:15 PM

I would suggest one award a day or 7 a week. In other words you're not fixed to picking one on a day where the quality is not so good.

It may not seem a lot but 365 images a year that have been carefully considered is a lot better than dozens being picked in a rush.

Ken

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43642 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 7:16 PM

Quote: I can understand the call for a cap but dont think that would help, as you really cant predict what will come up and it would be so unfair for an image to miss out if a cap had already been reached.

That shouldn't be a problem as long as the cap was reasonable, I fel.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314948 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 7:29 PM

Quote: I would suggest one award a day or 7 a week. In other words you're not fixed to picking one on a day where the quality is not so good

Are you talking about the UA`s or GE`s.

There currently set at 1 a day, but 7 a week would be much better, I don`t award UA`s every day but good pictures are a bit like buses, they come in two`s and three`s Smile

franken
franken e2 Member 113054 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 7:43 PM

Actually, it could apply to both. Smile

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 13 Feb 2014 - 7:43 PM

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Specific Volunteer Thread Opened.