Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

GE Awards

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Specific Volunteer Thread Opened.

petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
13 Feb 2014 7:53PM
The idea of a 'Guest Editor' at a guess is that it's somebody who knows a thing or two about what is a good photo and therefore can select the 'best of the crop.' As such the Guest Editor should be treated as a 'responsible person' and the idea of 'capping' number of awards that can be given seems to me to be at odds with this.
Clear guidelines, though, including 'suggested' or 'likely' number should be there to help the person doing the job (perhaps based on numbers awarded by Pete / the current team / previous GEs....)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2014 7:58PM
Perhaps a change from the name Guest Editor is on the cards?

Not sure what, but perhaps something that encapsulates all?

Even to the point of including the person's initials in the title

For example, the KH weekly award - KHWA

Just toying with ideas at the moment
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
13 Feb 2014 8:06PM

Quote:Clear guidelines, though, including 'suggested' or 'likely' number should be there to help the person doing the job (perhaps based on numbers awarded by Pete / the current team / previous GEs....)

Here are the rules as written by Pete: (My bold text)

Rules are simple
Look through all the photos uploaded to the gallery in your week of appointment. With your special button provided click ones you think deserve an award - be selective only choose the very best and do not award friends / favourite genres unless they also genuinely deserve an award. The idea is your Awarded photos should be the very best pictures uploaded to ePHOTOzine - no bias please.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
13 Feb 2014 8:21PM
How about making the GEs anonymous and calling it The Stig award?Tongue
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Feb 2014 8:27PM
What if you had to pay 50p for every photo that is uploaded to be considered for an award? Less competition for awards but award system has been moneterised. The weeks winner wins 40% of the pot.

That made you look. Wink
richmowil e2
5 279 1 England
13 Feb 2014 8:46PM
Do you want to see it re-instated? YES!!

Was there anything you felt could have improved the GE award system? NO!! ( Theres no need to fix what isn't broken!!)
bricurtis e2
9 1.9k 48 England
13 Feb 2014 8:47PM

Quote:The current plan is to have it work the same it did in the past, but with a few volunteers who manage the scheduling of guest editors.

It would definitely need scheduling. Unfortunately the previous organizing was very lax , any volunteer was added on to the list which led to occasions where come Wednesday Pete was still trying to dig out the weeks GE who had not been on site for ages. Moira touched on this.

I think the Guest Editor title should be dropped - perhaps just Guest Award would be suffice. No restriction on selections though.

Raising the bar now re Editors Choice - a group of people by definition can't be an editor so a change is needed.
Why not have something like an ePz Merit Award instead, but leave the HC as is. ( that's for Highly Confused couldn't decide if it was good enough for the top award.)Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
13 Feb 2014 9:16PM
GE GE GE....

do we need a firing squad poised to shoot GEs who choose to award rubbish.... Wink ?

Ok - maybe not death, but advice...

The "team" who look after the new GE scheme, should they offer "guidance" to a GE should there be a plethora of pap awarded ?

Smile

Better than limiting the number... just make sure they understand what an award worthy shot looks like...

I'll shut up
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
13 Feb 2014 9:16PM
How about a GJA instead of a GE.

Guest judged award.

Ken
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
13 Feb 2014 9:20PM

Quote:do we need a firing squad poised to shoot GEs who choose to award rubbish.... Wink ?

No, we merely force them to use Nikon for ever more as a punishmentTongueGrin
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
13 Feb 2014 9:22PM
we need a stig
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
13 Feb 2014 9:23PM

Quote:We need a stig

Ahem!

Quote:How about making the GEs anonymous and calling it The Stig award?Tongue
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
13 Feb 2014 9:26PM
.....you didn't expect me to have read the thread did you Wink

Suggested paying an anon pro to do the EC job... not sure there's budget though Sad
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
a "respected" anon pro....

there by discounting myself Wink
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
One of the definitions of Guest

an often well-known person invited to participate or perform in a regular program, series, etc., as a substitute for a regular member or as a special attraction.

One could argue that the person would be known to members of the site - it does state often, not definite

As a special attraction - I presume that is the idea anyway

So perhaps the term Guest should remain, but Guest what?