Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

GE Awards

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Specific Volunteer Thread Opened.
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014836 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 1:17 PM

Quote: I'm sorry David, but you can keep using your graph to back up your argument that the number of awards being issued have not significantly dropped until the cows come home, however, it certainly doesn't correspond to my memory of the number of awards that Pete handed out. I can well remember many weeks where he handed out more than 30 awards, and on many occasions, I saw him issue 5 or 6 awards on a page of 60 photos. That is certainly nothing like the current situation. At the moment, we're lucky to see one or two images being awarded each day!

I'm sure the police used to look older Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Feb 2014 - 1:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72365 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
14 Feb 2014 - 1:24 PM

Quote: I'm sorry David, but you can keep using your graph to back up your argument that the number of awards being issued have not significantly dropped until the cows come home, however, it certainly doesn't correspond to my memory of the number of awards that Pete handed out. I can well remember many weeks where he handed out more than 30 awards, and on many occasions, I saw him issue 5 or 6 awards on a page of 60 photos. That is certainly nothing like the current situation. At the moment, we're lucky to see one or two images being awarded each day!

hehheh, believe what you want. Feel free to go through the gallery and count yourself if you wish.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 14 Feb 2014 - 1:24 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012607 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 1:30 PM

It shouldnt be about numbers.

I have to award 10 images today but I've only done 5, so five images have to be awarded because of quotas rather than because they are good, award system would be absolutely meaningless.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72365 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
14 Feb 2014 - 1:33 PM

Totally agree, quotas aren't a good idea. You can't guage how many award worthy photos will be uploaded daily. Some days you will get very little, while the next you could get a huge amount.

IMO, the GE system worked pretty well apart from the amount of management it required.

ColleenA
ColleenA e2 Member 2194 forum postsColleenA vcard Australia3 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 1:39 PM

I would like to see the GE reinstated, but my suggestion is 1 GE award per day for each genre a day...ie photoshopped , portrait, landscape, wildlife,mono etc....this will make it fairer as some genres get overlooked. We can then all appreciate the best of all genres in a day.
I am prepared to volunteer my help in either GE or managing GE,s if help is needed.

Last Modified By ColleenA at 14 Feb 2014 - 1:40 PM
PhillipMinnis
14 Feb 2014 - 1:42 PM

Quote: It shouldnt be about numbers.

I have to award 10 images today but I've only done 5, so five images have to be awarded because of quotas rather than because they are good, award system would be absolutely meaningless.

Exactly! All the more reason why graphs should not be used as an excuse for the number currently being handed out!

Please bring back the Guest Editor Award today. That will help to appease us members who support the concept!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012607 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 1:53 PM

Quote: Exactly! All the more reason why graphs should not be used as an excuse for the number currently being handed out!

You've missed my point. It wasnt about Davids graph.

Quote: Please bring back the Guest Editor Award today.

Things need to be sorted out first, there is absolutely no point in rushing this.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 14 Feb 2014 - 1:56 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014836 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 1:54 PM

What specific tasks need doing to administer the GE "thang" David?

on the graph...

Phillip - the info behind the Editor's Choice will be kept in a database table - every Pic will have little flag or field called "EC" - awarded shots it will be set to "true", non awarded shots, "false"

All David will have done is run a simple database query to group by, say, month, over the last 12 years.....

There's no debating that - it's fact.

I'm a bit surprised too... it "felt" like there were more in the past, maybe because I actually knew most of the recipients... now I've never heard of most of them

davidburleson
14 Feb 2014 - 1:59 PM

Quote: What specific tasks need doing to administer the GE "thang" David?

At the moment, I think its primarily arranging who is going to be GE when and ensuring there is always a GE. Sometimes things crop up and a GE will need replacing last minute. We have code which would make it easy enough to schedule users in.

AnnChown
AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 1:59 PM

I would like the GEAs reinstated - and I liked the old system. I agree with Philip Minnis: the sooner the better, please, as I feel there's a lot of unhappiness on the site and this will be a way to keep a lot of members happy (me for one).

AnnChown
AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 2:04 PM

Another word: we all like recognition - that's why we post our images on sites like this. Don't take that away, or we'll go too.....

ade_mcfade
14 Feb 2014 - 2:48 PM

Quote: What specific tasks need doing to administer the GE "thang" David?

At the moment, I think its primarily arranging who is going to be GE when and ensuring there is always a GE. Sometimes things crop up and a GE will need replacing last minute. We have code which would make it easy enough to schedule users in.

At the most basic, maybe just needs someone to manage a Google Spreadsheet - share it "read only" so people can see who's up next...

we do that kinda thing with the band - most of them are gigging pro musicians so you never quite know who's going to turn up unless you manage it on a spread sheet/calendar kinda thing

tj
tj ePHOTOzine Staff 111944 forum poststj vcard England
15 Feb 2014 - 3:23 PM

Hi guys,

Just wondering if we have any more volunteers to be judges, in principle?

Thanks
Tracey

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315465 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2014 - 9:35 PM

You can add me

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3651 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2014 - 9:54 PM

I would like to see it reinstated and would volunteer to assist or judge, John.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Specific Volunteer Thread Opened.