Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

General purpose lens, walk around lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

shreel
shreel  4 India1 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 7:40 AM

i am looking for a walk around and general purpose lens.I have looked into the 28-75mm tamron f/2.8 lens which has got some nice reviews.Is there some other zoom lens which i should be looking at before making the purchase.My budget is about 500$.Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 May 2012 - 7:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
2 May 2012 - 8:14 AM

I use two L Lenses for my professional work but I've just bought the new Sigma 18-200 HSM OS Mark II as a walkaround/travel lens and it got a TIPA award as the best entry level zoom. While not L quality, I'm very pleased with the results and I know there is some compromise with such long zooms, I had a good deal with it at Amazon at 314.00. I had the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and wasn't all that impressed. The Sigma is very light and compact and not bad build quality - I'm quite fussy when it comes to my glass! Smile

Andy_Cundell
2 May 2012 - 8:32 AM

I would agree with canon_tog on the lens size/ function. I have a Nikon 18-200 that I stick on for general walking around stuff.

Andy

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3772 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 8:34 AM

After being asked to be a .....Fly- On- The-Wall.....photographer at a family wedding recently, I went for a walk about lens that I could afford for my SONY A55.

The Dedicated SONY one was in excess of 400 and I couldn't afford that...instead I went for the TAMRON 18-200 which turned out to be ideal, wide at one end with a zoom to take me in closer if required.

The results have been surprisingly good, so my money wasn't wasted.

I would have gone for the very best if my wallet could have stretched enough.

Hobbo

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
2 May 2012 - 9:10 AM

Had the tamron 18-200 very disappointed with build quality even at the low price took it back as the zoom ring was VERY jerky shop tryed some others all the same one actually jammed solid.
Got my money back and purchased Nikon 18-200 very nice, however have recently got my hands on a Nikon 18-105 and am very impressed personally find IQ better on the 18-105 compared with the 18-200 and NO zoom creep.
On your budget of $500 I would go for the 18-105 that is assuming your on Nikon body

Shcokete
Shcokete  332 forum posts
2 May 2012 - 9:53 AM

Over several years I had several auto-focus cameras and lenses go wrong. I now stick to manual focussing like we all did in the good old days.

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
2 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Quote: Over several years I had several auto-focus cameras and lenses go wrong. I now stick to manual focussing like we all did in the good old days.

HOW SENSIBLE!

cameraman
cameraman  11227 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Quote: Over several years I had several auto-focus cameras and lenses go wrong

You must have been born to be very unlucky.

Andy_Cundell
2 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Zoom creep...........Ah yes, it is a problem that is easily solved with one of these:

heroes-band-380166a.jpg

Although other bands are available, I may be slightly biased to this one Wink

Andy

Shcokete
Shcokete  332 forum posts
2 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Quote: Over several years I had several auto-focus cameras and lenses go wrong

You must have been born to be very unlucky.

It is probably more that I am a cheapskate and very rarely buy camars new. The last I bought new was a Leica R3 on 8th January 1980 - now that has never gone wrong!

mohikan22
mohikan22  102185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

I use a Sigma 18-125mm OS HSM. is a little short on the zoom end but i have an extender in the pocket for that.

User_Removed
2 May 2012 - 2:03 PM

20mm f2.8 nikkor on my d90...= 30mm wide and crop in software....if I feel strenuous I use my nikkor 17 to 35 ed zoom but its not an easy walkabout lems with the hood ect.....but there is a further option as a good wide angle compact will get very near to the finished results of a cheap zoom....my panasonic LX3 does.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 May 2012 - 2:05 PM
Willpower
Willpower  3175 forum posts United Kingdom
2 May 2012 - 3:13 PM

Another vote for the Sigma 18-200. I have used the DC 3.5-6.3 version now for over 2 years and it has never failed me. A very good walk around lens which will cover most needs.

franken
franken e2 Member 113029 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 5:13 PM

I've been using a Sigma 18-125 for just over four years without any problems.

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2012 - 1:01 PM

What camera is this for? or have I missed something ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.