Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Getting 2 birds in focus

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 7126 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Feb 2011 - 8:44 PM

how do i get 2 birds in focus in the frame i can manage with one ok , but at this time of year the birds are pairing up and i will get the chance to get a pair. But i always seem to get one in focus and one out of focus thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Feb 2011 - 8:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Feb 2011 - 8:48 PM

Use Aperture Priority and a smaller setting, such as f11, or even f16 if there isn't too much movement in the subjects.

Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 7126 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Feb 2011 - 9:06 PM

i use Aperture Priority but if i use F11 like you say im not going to get the shutter speed needed because birds are always moving

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Feb 2011 - 9:09 PM

When you said one in focus and one out of focus, is the one OOF because of movement, or because of depth?

BTW, first thing to do is to make sure your perch is parallel to your camera.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 20 Feb 2011 - 9:10 PM
    Overread
    Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Feb 2011 - 9:11 PM

A flash (or two) and a Better Beamer/Flash Xtendor (WHE sells these) would let you get some flash light onto birds at long focal lengths and thus use a smaller aperture without having exposure problems nor blur problems.

LensYews
    LensYews  51309 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Feb 2011 - 9:12 PM

If your camera has the capability an option for depth of field and a fast shutter is to open up the ISO. I frequently use f8 at 1/4000 at around 6400 ISO for my sport, and lightroom can usually clean up that level of noise to an acceptable level for me.

Last Modified By LensYews at 20 Feb 2011 - 9:13 PM
    cheddar-caveman
    21 Feb 2011 - 1:22 PM

Unfortunately there is no easy answer to this. If the birds are one behind the other, which I suspect is the case, then DOF is almost certainly the problem and the nearer the birds are to you, the bigger the problem.

We don't know your set-up Mike?

As has been said, with my 7D I can up the ISO to some crazy figure around 6400 thereby allowing me to use decent shutter speeds and small apertures. I also use a 300mm lens so I can get that bit further away and thereby further help the DOF.

To give you a better understanding of how the camera variables effect DOF, try entering different settings into the calculator and see the result:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Mike_Smith
    21 Feb 2011 - 5:22 PM

My set up is a Canon 400D with Sigma 120 - 400 lens the camera ISO only goes up to 1600 and that is very noisy thank you all for your help though

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2011 - 5:40 PM

Try noiseware it can clean up the images, a lot.

cheddar-caveman
    21 Feb 2011 - 6:06 PM

Another trick, which has been mentioned already, is to get a good flash unit. This will allow you to use a higher F stop with reduced shutter speed, typically 1/60 for good sync.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.