Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

getting long exposures on a nikon d1x.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

UrbaneMagick
15 Sep 2012 - 2:14 PM

Seems a bit like the holy grail, people talk about it, but yo unever quiote get the full story of how to di it!

So, I finally thought I'd sussed it, I set my f to as high as it would go (32 i think), added an 6 stop Ngrad & a polariser..........and although a nice shot, it was only a one second exposure.

Ideally, I would like to hit a 30 second or longer exposure............any ionfo greatly appreciated Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Sep 2012 - 2:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NikonNovice
15 Sep 2012 - 2:28 PM

Set the iso as low as it will go, use a high f number, add a polariser and an nd or nd grad if you can. This should slow the shutter down although you can stack several nd filters to slow it down more if needed.

scottishphototours

What ISO did you set?, needs to 200 or less. Also f32 not recommended due to image quality, go no lower than f16.

User_Removed
15 Sep 2012 - 2:39 PM

Don't use an ND Grad. Use a full ND so that the neutral density is applied to the entire image area. The denser the filter, the more you will have to slow down your shutter speed.

For example, if your base exposure at ISO 100 is, say, 1/125th at f/16, then a 3-stop ND filter (often labelled as ND8) will give you an exposure of 1/15 at f/16 while a 10-stop ND filter (sometimes called a Big Stopper) will give you an exposure of 8 seconds at f/16

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 2:57 PM

shoot at night

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 3:02 PM

Or leave the lens cap on.

UrbaneMagick
15 Sep 2012 - 3:36 PM

hi..i set it on iso 100...the photo of the waterfall is on my portfoilio for exif.

UrbaneMagick
15 Sep 2012 - 3:38 PM

hi folks...here's my Exif :

18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

Recording media:

JPEG (digital)

Date Taken:

20 Aug 2012 - 2:45 PM

Focal Length:

18mm

Lens Max Aperture:

f/3.5

Aperture:

f/22.0

Shutter Speed:

1sec

Exposure Comp:

ISO:

Exposure Mode:

Aperture-priority AE

Metering Mode:

Multi-segment

Flash:

No Flash

White Balance:

Auto

UrbaneMagick
15 Sep 2012 - 3:42 PM

all of the above ended up with a one second exposure.
... I can see that I had the iso on 200 now..so will drop that next time.... but had f22, will drop that to 16 next time.
also my bad, it wasn;t an Ngrad, it was a n6 full nd. with polariser.

...where / what would you say to alter from the above please.....and thankyou for all previous replies...much appreciated

User_Removed
15 Sep 2012 - 3:46 PM

Hi Gareth.

If the one on your portfolio that you are referring to is the image entitled "Watersmeet, Exmoor", then I think you have got the shutter speed spot-on for the water. You certainly don't need it any longer.

The ISO on that one was 200 and the aperture f/22. I think you might have got a slightly better overall result with ISO at 100 and aperture at f/16. Most lenses go off a bit at f/22 and I think I am right in saying that the base ISO of the D1x was 100 and that quality tended to reduce fairly quickly as you went up the scale..

But, hey - it's a great photograph.

(Edit: I see you posted the EXIF while I was writing the above - so we are talking about the same image.)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 15 Sep 2012 - 3:49 PM
UrbaneMagick
15 Sep 2012 - 4:28 PM

Hi Left Forum...hey that's great..thankyou.

I'm just a bit puzzled when I look at the milky water photos & see that they are at 30 second exposures. yet mine only hit 1 second :-(

.................big thanks buddy...appreciated Smile

scottishphototours

It only hit 1 second because you took it at 2.45pm, when there's still plenty of light around!!

A lot of these 30 seconds exposures are taken very early or very late in the day, or when light levels are low. Go back there around 6am and see what you get...

UrbaneMagick
15 Sep 2012 - 6:13 PM

ahhhh thankyou Scottish................. ..mmm..perhaps evening instead though...it's 70 miles away from me...and I do like my bed Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 10:24 PM

welcome to landscape photography Wink

3 AM starts, long journeys, 50 in petrol and you just get rain and misery...

UrbaneMagick
15 Sep 2012 - 10:31 PM

My hawk friend Andy AHG does the peak district photography a lot...always at sunrise...I see myself more of a sunset man :-p

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.