Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Getting to grips with the OM-D/EM5

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6602 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 1:43 AM

I going to end up in the poor house............Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Aug 2012 - 1:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314893 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 1:47 AM

Hehe, well I`ve been thinking of the 12mm or 14mm, I could do without them for now Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6602 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 1:49 AM

I think we're addicted...........

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314893 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 2:09 AM

I have these moments, about once every 4 or 5 years Smile

AnneWorner
3 Aug 2012 - 1:07 PM

There's a Lensbaby composer for the 4/3rds Wink

Paul Morgan
3 Aug 2012 - 2:27 PM

Yes I already use a couple of lensbabys, there in a 4/3 fit, so instead of buying new lenses I picked up this adapter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003EHRCJI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

AnneWorner
3 Aug 2012 - 2:32 PM

Ah, that would be a tad cheaper than the LB at $220 - thanks Paul.

Paul Morgan
3 Aug 2012 - 2:44 PM

Ignore all those low scores and iffy reviews, most were written by complete planksSmile

Quote: Ah, that would be a tad cheaper than the LB at $220 - thanks Paul

It saved me a small fortune as I had been using a fair few legacy lenses via an adapter.

I didn`t fancy forking out the extra expense for lens hoods.

For the 45mm lens I dug out an old kood step up ring 37-49mm and was able to fit an old hood I had not used in years.

For the 12-50 I`m just going to use a very old rubber hood Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 10:24 AM

I wrote a piece in the blogs about using the brilliant (and I think unique) new feature on the Olympus OM-D camera - LiveBulb mode.

This feature is set in the E section of the custom menu and then activated from the manual exposure mode. Your dial passed the usual manual shutter speeds (60 seconds being the longest on this Olympus) And then you reach the LIVEBULB and LIVETIME modes. These modes refresh the LCD with a live preview as the exposure is being made so you can stop when there's enough light in the shot. It's a bit like when you used to develop a print in the darkroom and could which it appear in the tray. It's a fantastic feature for those who use long exposure filters such as the Lee Filter Big Stopper where exposures can stretch into several minutes.

To use the feature you first need to turn it on in the custom menu and select the frame refresh rate. The screen will refresh up to 24 times at ISO200 and 9 times at ISO1600 and you can have refresh intervals of between 0.5sec and 60sec.

So if you think your exposure is going to be about one minute and you're shooting on ISO 400 (19 times refresh) You could set 4sec on the display count and that would mean you would get 15 preview frames as the exposure builds up to one minute. Press the shutter release and hold it down in LIVEBULB and watch the exposure build, then let go when it looks correctly exposed. In LIVETIME mode the shutter stays open without you having to hold down on the shutter button. A second press closes the shutter.

This photo was taken the other evening on Baslow Edge and is the result of a 90 seconds exposure baslow-edge-1-2.jpg

Last Modified By Pete at 4 Aug 2012 - 10:25 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110165 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 10:43 AM

thanks Pete (could have done with this last night when shooting fireworks but couldn't remember where it was on the dial Smile )

Livetime mode looks very useful

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 10:49 AM

Quote: but couldn't remember where it was on the dial

I think that's a real problem with this camera. I was out last night and noticed the highlight shadow icon on the lcd, and saw it had a slight curve. So I went to where I'd adjusted it before (Fn2 button and dialled in using control wheels) But the Fn2 button no longer had that mode set as I'd been in and assigned MF for that button. So I went back to reassign and couldn't find the highlight / shadow option. It then took far too long to work it out. Also when you go into wireless flash it took my a while to realise you could still access the main menu on the LCD by pressing the info button after the wireless control menu was active.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110165 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 11:32 AM

Glad its not just me, I swear that the camera hides things by changing the button settings at random sometimes (but its still a cracker to use so I tend to put it down to user error )

Paul Morgan
4 Aug 2012 - 5:05 PM

Thanks for doing this Pete, its been I big help to this group.

Quote: Livetime mode looks very useful

Would have been great with those fireworks Brian Smile

I got out with the camera yesterday for a quick play, I found the 12-50mm behaved a whole lot better than some of the reviews had stated.

Its going to take me a while to get to grips with this little camera, I found myself accidentally pressing the record button instead of the shutter release on several occasions Smile

And I have struggled with the menu system a bit, its easily the biggest learning curve with this camera.

Once I`d found how to set the super control panel life became a whole lot easier.

brian1208
4 Aug 2012 - 5:39 PM

Quote: Would have been great with those fireworks Brian

Now you tell me Paul! Wink

I think the 12-50 is an amazing little tool for the money, my copy is great for macro, good for landscapes and very competent when used for portraits (dare I say, nearly up to the standard of my copy of the canon 24-105 LIS)

Paul Morgan
4 Aug 2012 - 6:18 PM

Quote: dare I say, nearly up to the standard of my copy of the canon 24-105 LIS

That I agree with Smile

Did you get the lens hood for the 12-50, I found it big, bulky and expensive.

Save myself some cash and dug this out, does a good job and there`s no vignetting at the wide end.

Dosen`t look to bad either.

p1000954.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.