Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Getty images invitation

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ourdayphotos
2 Aug 2012 - 7:24 PM

Hi. I received an invitation from Getty Images today inviting me to enroll with them & to license some of my photographs, they have selected 5 that they are currently interested in. Have any of you had such an invitiation or experience with Getty? I'd like to find out from other photographers rather than Getty's own blurb.

Thanks.

Stu.

Last Modified By ourdayphotos at 2 Aug 2012 - 7:27 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Aug 2012 - 7:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
2 Aug 2012 - 7:42 PM

Quote: Have any of you had such an invitiation or experience with Getty?

Not me

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7829 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2012 - 8:31 PM

I have had an invitation for some of my photos, which I've accepted. They chose the photos and key-worded them so I'm assuming they must know they have commercial potential. This was almost a year ago now and I haven't sold any of them yet, not a bean! I know stock photography is a slow burner but I'm getting impatient for a sale from themSmile If you allow Getty to sell your photos then you can't ( as far as I know ) sell them yourself as postcards, greetings cards, etc. I may be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

I also had a thought after reading some photographers make a lot of money from suing people for using their photos illegally and breaching copyright. Would Getty sue people for copyright infringement of your photos and would they keep all the damages without letting the photographer know about it?

I must say that Getty for me is a non earner at the moment, but I live in hopeSmile

ourdayphotos
2 Aug 2012 - 8:59 PM

Quote: I have had an invitation for some of my photos, which I've accepted. They chose the photos and key-worded them so I'm assuming they must know they have commercial potential. This was almost a year ago now and I haven't sold any of them yet, not a bean! I know stock photography is a slow burner but I'm getting impatient for a sale from themSmile If you allow Getty to sell your photos then you can't ( as far as I know ) sell them yourself as postcards, greetings cards, etc. I may be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

I also had a thought after reading some photographers make a lot of money from suing people for using their photos illegally and breaching copyright. Would Getty sue people for copyright infringement of your photos and would they keep all the damages without letting the photographer know about it?

I must say that Getty for me is a non earner at the moment, but I live in hopeSmile

Worth thinking about, thanks.

Stubill
Stubill  6107 forum posts England
2 Aug 2012 - 10:59 PM

I have a few images on Getty via invitation, but it is so insignificant (especially on royalty free) that it's not even worth taking the breath, let alone holding it Smile
You can still sell 'limited edition' prints in the name 'self promotion' with any images you have with Getty. Definitely how it reads to me Wink
Stu

ourdayphotos
2 Aug 2012 - 11:00 PM

Thanks Stu, I'm not sure it's worth signing up for this.

robthecamman
3 Aug 2012 - 1:05 AM

sounds like if you get an offer from gettys to enquire or read some small print first so you dont tie yourself in knots with wat you can and cant do with your own photos

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7829 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 6:35 AM

Earlier Forum thread about Getty

BarrieNeilPhotography

5 images? Rule of thumb for stock used to be 1 dollar earned for every image at a library working on the assumption you had several thousand over a broad range of subjects.

In those days, my average image sale value was $200-$300 dollars (few peaks at $5,000 and even $10,000 for exclusivity/advertising use). Those days have long gone largely due to microstock and fools willing to sell their images for paltry amounts (20 cents on some micro sites). I'd say average image sales are down from $200-$300/image to $30-$50 image

If it was 500 or 500 images - now you're talking but 5 isn't worth bothering with to be honest

thewilliam
3 Aug 2012 - 10:19 AM

You have to make a start somewhere and 5 images constitutes the "toe in the water" that will build your confidence.

Getty is certainly business-like. They have a department that tracks down unauthorised use of their images, as one woman from our local business scene found out to her cost.

BarrieNeilPhotography

Quote: You have to make a start somewhere and 5 images constitutes the "toe in the water" that will build your confidence.

How does 5 images that will hardly get seen even less likely get sold build confidence? You aren't likely to sell them (numbers game) and you can't use them elsewhere - brilliant!

Go for someone like Alamy - much more 'photographer friendly'

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 3 Aug 2012 - 10:33 AM
keithh
keithh  1022771 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 11:42 AM

We still tend to think of Getty when they were GETTY.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53531 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 12:25 PM

Congratulations, I'd be chufffed to bits. Its a nice accolade on your portfolio. If you are not selling them elsewhere then why not!
good luck on the next 5.
Stuart

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 3:04 PM

I got invited earlier this year and have 14 photos with them at the mo and one still waiting to be processed, I haven't made any money with them yet though, although I did have a photo used for the cover of a book that's due out in Dec and made a nice little sum on that but that was nothing to do with Getty.

NikLG
NikLG  81736 forum posts England
3 Aug 2012 - 3:51 PM

I have some up there with them, via Flickr. They weren't interested in the ones that I submitted at first, but looked through my photostream and picked a dozen that they liked.
To date, I have had 1 licensed by NBC in the US and have the magnificent sum of $1.40 sitting in my account...which, despite it's paltriness is the most I have ever got paid
for a photo ( about $1.40 more in fact ). That's after their cut of course...it was a tiny version, for web use I guess, and the fee was 10 bucks.

I think it's a pretty good way to have a few pictures on the open market. Their mark-up / take off a the fee is quite large but they do almost all the work for you. Such as tagging, putting them in the appropriate areas on the site etc., working out costs per image ( some of mine are 'one-off' fees, getting larger as the image res increases, and some are licensed where the fee increases depending on its use ).

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.