Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gigrin Sunday 25th April

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Apr 2010 - 8:08 PM

After another couple of weeks with no photography I have plans:

Planning on a trip to Gigrin this Sunday.

Weather is forecast to be wet and with wind from the west. A west wind is the perfect one for Gigrin as it means the kites fly towards the hides, and personally I like the effect of a heavy downpour, so hoping for some real April showers.

I've booked a slot in the lower hide as I want to play with slow shutter speeds as well as the rain look shots.

So anyone else got plans for the weekend? Anyone fancy meeting up at Gigrin? Happy to give some pointers on flight photography. There's an article on my "current" website, but I'm looking for some new images for my new site which is almost ready to launch upon the world.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Apr 2010 - 8:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

timcordell
    timcordell  1026 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Apr 2010 - 8:16 PM

Gigrin farm is a great place , went for a week last year.

Lynx08
    Lynx08 e2 Member 61209 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
    19 Apr 2010 - 10:00 PM

We were there a week ago and were amazed at how many rare birds you see in the sky at one time! I got a couple of pics on my portfolio, not great but I'm chuffed with them. Have a good time and look forward to seeing pics.
    Lyn

jonah794
    jonah794  41723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Apr 2010 - 10:18 PM

Would love to come Cheryl but I'm hosting my own meet! Tongue Don't steal any of my lot Wink

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7801 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    19 Apr 2010 - 11:30 PM

Gigrin is a must but hang around for about 3 hours afterwards as the show goes on and on and onimg-1460.jpg

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 83465 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2010 - 12:08 AM

Hi...I'm hopeing to visit Gigrin in 3 weeks time on my way to Presteigne ...alternative transport rally...May 9/10th.

Can someone please tell me just where I need to be, to be in with a chance of some half decent pictures ?

...any other advice muchly appreciated.

thanks....Mike

csurry
    20 Apr 2010 - 9:25 PM

Mike best plan is to book in to one of the photographic hides. You can shoot from the others, but the openings are more restrictive for trying to follow the birds.

Ah Neil I'm always the last to leave Wink In fact I think Chris blames me cos I said in one guide to Gigrin, make sure you stay after everyone else has left...hee, hee. Now he can't get rid of the photographers. Even the people on the gate know to make sure I'm not blocking anyone in as those people would be waiting a long time to get out.

Weather forecast has shifted slightly, still a wind from the west, but maybe no rain. Shame!

csurry
    20 Apr 2010 - 9:38 PM

Some photos.

One I was hoping for with the forecast rain:
    redkitec.jpg

And a couple of others:
    redkitea.jpg

redkiteb.jpg

jonah794
    jonah794  41723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2010 - 3:32 PM

Very very good pics Cheryl!

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2010 - 12:21 AM

Good luck most of us would decide to not bother going in the rain. I hope you get a couple of good photo's

csurry
    25 Apr 2010 - 8:51 AM

Ah but it is the rain that will hopefully make the shot John! Blue skies, red kite, been done to death. Slow shutter speeds and rain in the shot make for a more interesting shot I hope.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96104 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2010 - 9:11 AM

Quote: Ah but it is the rain that will hopefully make the shot

That is possibly true for many types of photography, landscapes, ferns in autumn, umbrella product shot etc.

Obviously not too great for a bride on her wedding day though, the rain would ruin her make up & hair Wink

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2010 - 12:20 PM

Quote: Ah but it is the rain that will hopefully make the shot John!

I agree there, I tried to photograph some gulls in the rain and it was quite educational. If I can master the technique it looks like it will add quite a lot to the photo. Me I tried too hard for a longish shutter speed so I can I need to work on timing that type of shot with the birds motion.

csurry
    25 Apr 2010 - 9:00 PM

And of course it did not rain heavy until I was about 6 miles away on the route home Sad

Still met with Flowerted, sorry for not recognising you, but colleagues will tell you I can't even remember people after a weeks holiday, so after 4-5 years, no chance.

Hopefully got a few slow shutter speed ones. And I had the lower hide to myself whilst the others all seemed quite busy. Just wished I lived closer and I've only been back about 15 mins and just downloading the images.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.