Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gimbal Heads - Difference in Price

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
31 Oct 2012 - 10:49 AM

Does anyone have personal experience which would enable them to meaningfully compare the quality/robustness of the gimbal heads that retail on eBay for 65 -70 and the visually identical models that UK "big name" retailers sell at 220 - 260?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Oct 2012 - 10:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

teepee
teepee  11654 forum posts England
31 Oct 2012 - 11:16 AM

you wont be dissapointed

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93493 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
31 Oct 2012 - 11:27 AM

Mines a Manfrotto 393 and It's ideal...exactly the same as this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto-393-Gimbal-Head-with-357-sliding-plate-quick...

If you're looking for something similar consider this...solid and steady on good tripod...great for tracking birds / aircraft.
....unfortunately very heavy...you wouldn't want to carry it far.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72214 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 11:39 AM

The '393's are excellent.
I bought an Indian gimbal head, similar to this, for 75 ish.

It was constructed with quite basic nylon washer bearings, which made the pan/tilt quite notchy.
I replaced the nylon with home made PTFE washers and plumbers tape(where necessary), and pan/tilt is now very smooth.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8979 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 1:57 PM

Been using the Indian version for 3 years now, I won't complain it performs as it should and at a fraction of the cost, copes with my sigma 120-300mm 2.8 and various tc's with ease.
It is not as nice a finish as the original but who really cares.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8979 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 2:10 PM

Forgot to say most of them supports are not much use for small lenses. What lens have you in mind to put on it.

User_Removed
31 Oct 2012 - 2:13 PM

Nikkor 600mm f/4

GarethRobinson
31 Oct 2012 - 2:15 PM

haha wil be fine then, better not tell the wife or she will want another compact,,,

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 31 Oct 2012 - 2:16 PM
barnowl
barnowl  9697 forum posts
31 Oct 2012 - 3:09 PM

As stated previously it's the bearings and tolerances that are below par. There are solutions such as arhc has done. It may even be possible to find bearings of the right size to replace them. Lots of bearing suppliers out there.

If anyone has some pics of a disassembled one showing the bearings and housings I would be interested to see them. Quite fancy trying to modify one to get it running properly.

justin c
justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 5:14 PM

Unfortunately the top end Gimbals are actually almost double the 220-260 you mention, see HERE for instance. A cheaper alternative to the full Wimberley, if you already own a good quality ballhead, is the Wimberley Sidekick which works particularly well and will support a 500mm prime lens no problem at all. It also has the added advantage of being removed in a second, leaving you the option of just using the ballhead if you want to switch to a smaller lens.
I alternate between using the Wimberley Sidekick/Arca Swiss B1 and a Manfrotto 501 video head. The video head is just as stable as the Sidekick and is preferable if you alternate between shooting video and stills. It's also considerably cheaper than the Sidekick/ballhead combination.

DerekL
DerekL e2 Member 9101 forum postsDerekL vcard England23 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 8:50 PM

I can also recommend the Manfrotto 393.
I use it with my Canon 500mm.
Nice smooth action and a lot less cost than Wimberleys.

User_Removed
1 Nov 2012 - 9:37 AM

Thanks for all that food for thought.

I got a superb Nikkor 600mm f/4 AI-S manual focus lens very cheaply on eBay but it is so heavy that I think some sort of gimbal head would be an advantage.

ARI
ARI  11502 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Nov 2012 - 5:28 PM

With that Nikkor, please do not stint on the head so that u can get the best from the lens and u have got the head forever. Pardon the pun. Cheap when u count the cost over the years. Was in similar dilema a few years ago, got the wiberley Mk2 and have not looked back

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62458 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
3 Nov 2012 - 6:08 PM

I have the Manfrotto 393 - which is currently 120with a plate from WEX
Ignore the WEX illustration - most use the 393 with the top "U" in the down position.
Prior to Chinese versions it was the 393 or a little more convenient to use USA gimbal at 500+.
I have no experience of the e-bay offerings - but the 393 from Manfrotto with WEX back up seems a good deal to me.
The Manfrotto is big - 8.5 inches wide excluding knobs. I can confirm it easily holds a Nikon 500 AF-s so there should be no problem with your 600.

loweskid
loweskid  132042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Nov 2012 - 12:48 AM

I have the Lensmaster RH-2. Good quality at a reasonable price and made in the UK. Can't fault it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.