Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gimbal Heads - Difference in Price

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62360 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 - 9:48 AM

Quote: I have the Lensmaster RH-2. Good quality at a reasonable price and made in the UK. Can't fault it.

It looks interesting, and is lighter and more compact than the Manfrotto 393.
It should operate more smoothly as well.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Nov 2012 - 9:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85748 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
4 Nov 2012 - 11:01 AM

Another vote for the 393

User_Removed
4 Nov 2012 - 12:46 PM

Thanks guys.

I have decided to go with the Manfrotto 393.

Perversely, the eBay link given above by Mike has now been bid up to a higher price (for a damaged secondhand item) than the new price including postage from several UK retailers. So I have ordered from Amazon so that I get my affiliate commission and effectively bring the price down even farther.

User_Removed
11 Nov 2012 - 9:06 PM

Just a final word of thanks guys.

The Manfrotto 393 that I ordered from Amazon arrived during the week and it is exactly what I was looking for. Even sturdier than I anticipated and very smooth to pan and tilt.

cctt
cctt 
9 Sep 2013 - 4:31 AM

Is there anyone use this kind of third party heavy lens gimbal head?

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123785 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2013 - 7:45 PM

I am also in the market for a Gimbal head and having had a look at Wimberley and Benro I find the concept of the Lensmaster interesting; I like the fact it is made in the UK and the price is very advantageous however can it compare in terms of quality to it's more expensive cousins i.e. Wimberley and /or Benro?

Peter.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123785 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thanks all for the thread; after some additional research I have bought a Lensmaster RH-2 Gimbal Head which arrived promptly after an email from the company; after a play with it it looks extremely well made and does all I can ask of a gimbal head; at a shade under 150 inc two Arca style plates and p&p it is much less expensive than a Wimberley equivalent.

Now I have to look out for a heavier duty tripod to support the lens .... does it ever stop??

Peter.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96104 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2013 - 10:44 PM

Quote: does it ever stop??

No Sad

peterjones
21 Sep 2013 - 11:07 PM

how true ...Grin

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2013 - 11:28 AM

I would caution against some of the cheaper Gimbals, simply because of the risk you run if any one component fails. And this is not an idle word of caution I have seen someones lens heading towards the floor because the connection at the side (a cheap version of the sidekick) sheared off with a 500mm Canon lens attached. For the sake of saving 100 they nearly had to replace a 5k lens!

With that in mind I would be particularly cautious of those style similar to the sidekick as a large lens will put a lot of stress on that element of the design. Those like the standard wimberley gimbal or Manfrotto 393 seem better for me at distributing the weight more evenly, thus not stressing one connector.

That said the Manfrotto is good value, but I do wish they would do a better job of promoting it rather than showing it with a small lens and in the position most owners never use Smile

peterjones
22 Sep 2013 - 9:57 PM

I must confess when I was researching gimbal heads not to like the concept of a sidekick or it's imitators; I have a Wimberley sidekick that I bought from a deceased person's estate and after use with a 300mm TBH I am going to sell it; I like my s lens to sit on a head not hang off the side of it; the lensmaster RH-2 appears to fit the bill seemingly made to survive if necessary a nuclear blast now for a Gitzo and then the hard bit .....pictures to justify the expense Grin

Peter

matmonty
matmonty  9119 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Sep 2013 - 9:17 PM

2nd the Lensmaster as loweskid says cannot be faulted.

Mat

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.