Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

GIMP

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Mar 2012 - 9:53 AM

Still trying to decide what editting programme to load up on my new PC (having it built)
    At the moment I use a laptop with elements 9 and nikon view NX2.
    I dont do a lot of editting so the full CS package is not value for money for me.
    A friend told me about GIMP have had a quick look and it seems to meet my needs.
    Does anyone use it and what do you think to it?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Mar 2012 - 9:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53668 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2012 - 10:51 AM

elements 9 should allow you to install 2 copes of the software under the licence term. Keep the same on both machine for speed and familiarity.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Mar 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Jack,
    I was aware of this and also the same goes for the NX2.
    Im hoping someone uses GIMP and can give some advice good or bad

amarsh58
    amarsh58  2 United Kingdom
    15 Mar 2012 - 11:35 AM

Download GIMP on to your present machine and have a play with it. It is definitely a piece of software that needs playing with and finding out what works in what situation. Maybe try 2.7 as this will show you what is coming soon as GIMP is forever evolving project. If you are like me are running in Linux then the GIMP or something else choice is more limited.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2012 - 12:36 PM

Elements & Nikon ViewNX2, Should do all you need, The trouble with changing software is starting all over gain with something thats unfamiliar....!

I checked out the Gimp thing a long while back, I have no idea how people work with such a " Cranky " layout/workflow.....Really hated that.....!!

These days its Nikon ViewNX2 for basic viewing & sorting, But mostly I use Phase Ones, Capture 1, version 6 ( Express & Pro ) ....Smile

Works for me....Wink

davewaine
    davewaine  7115 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2012 - 3:47 PM

I have used GIMP and I would say it is okay. It isn't as powerful as Photoshop, but it is free and you can't have everything. Free software, in general, is not quite as polished as software you pay for, but it has it where it counts. I know some people don't like it at all, but I can honestly state that it did not give me any problems. Why not download it run with it for a few weeks to find out how it works? It won't cost you anything.

SueEley
    SueEley  8271 forum posts Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2012 - 7:34 PM

GIMP and Elements both work well. There are people out there doing great stuff with both. Having used both and Photoshop CS I'd prefer them in the order Photoshop-Elements-GIMP. But I really do think it comes down to what you are used to and what you want to do, and I started with PS. You can do a lot with GIMP. And it's free Grin

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    18 Mar 2012 - 11:16 PM

I use Gimp extensively and have used PS in the past. I honestly don't miss PS and can do anything I need to in Gimp from detailed editing of photos to creation /editing of graphics for websites. Give it a go. you have nothing to lose. I don't see any crankiness in the WF or layout. For RAW processing I use DX0 Optics Pro and/or Oloneo.

darranl
    darranl  5318 forum posts England
    19 Mar 2012 - 10:49 AM

I started off using Gimp for a short while but then wanted something that also organised my images so switched to Lightroom - a lot can be done in Lightroom but I then did start to want to use layers sometimes and various cloning tools so decided to switch to Elements - it surprised me but I am now actually missing features from Gimp.

newfocus
    newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Mar 2012 - 12:37 PM

I've used both Gimp and Photoshop a fair bit. Gimp works really well and I have no complaints.

Photoshop is more productive if you're using it extensively and has far more in the way of creative professional-level tools, which are important to me. It depends on what you use regularly though. My wife uses Gimp for processing product shots for her business and you really can't fault the productivity or output that she achieves with it.

nexus7
    nexus7  4 Australia
    16 May 2012 - 7:14 AM

I use Paint Shop Photo Pro X3 - does almost everything. At around $80 it's cheaper than Elements.
    And I use PT Lens - $25 download - automatically fixes barrel distortion. Will also fix perspective distortion, vignetting and chromatic distortion.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.